Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress setup question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress setup question

What best for wordpress setup server i have a small information about that like i know nginx best for static pages

What best fit wordpress
  1. nginx + apache81 votes
    1. nginx + php-fpm
      88.89%
    2. apache
      11.11%

Comments

• To load the fast site. I will recommend you to use Nginx

• HybridHybrid Member

Based on experience, go with nginx, WP will load like a million times faster

• deankdeank Member, Troll

apache

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Don't forget that web server is not everything. Remember to set up WordPress caching.

Thanked by 1imok
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@deank said:
    apache

Apache is great web server, as you can still optimise LAMP and compress the data + wp caching is great result as it can be fast.

• I'd like to use nginx + php-fpm + mariaDB

• vovlervovler Member

Go with CentminMod (made by @eva2000), it will install nginx and php-fpm and configure them for optimal speed depending on your VPS/Dedi specs

• nginx no doubt is faster but if your wordpress site receives low amount traffic then it doesn't matter whether its on nginx or apache.

One disadvantage nginx has is it doesn't have the flexibility for fanciful htaccess rewrites so if you need customized rewrite on htaccess then apache is the way to go.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

I'd suggest OpenLiteSpeed + LSPHP + LiteSpeed Cache for WordPress.

Thanked by 1vovler
  • mkshmksh Member

@eDigital said:
    One disadvantage nginx has is it doesn't have the flexibility for fanciful htaccess rewrites so if you need customized rewrite on htaccess then apache is the way to go.

While it's true nginx doesn't support htaccess i'd say it can do the same and probably a good bit more using it's configs so unless you have to use htaccess for some reason that point is pretty much moot.

eDigital said: One disadvantage nginx has is it doesn't have the flexibility for fanciful htaccess rewrites so if you need customized rewrite on htaccess then apache is the way to go.

You can do this with nginx syntax as well.

jeff9023 said: I'd like to use nginx + php-fpm + mariaDB

Good choice.

eDigital said: nginx no doubt is faster but if your wordpress site receives low amount traffic then it doesn't matter whether its on nginx or apache.

mod_php is notoriously slow. Anything but that will be an improvement, even with small amounts of traffic.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@vovler said:
    Go with CentminMod (made by @eva2000), it will install nginx and php-fpm and configure them for optimal speed depending on your VPS/Dedi specs

Definitely like the way you think ^_^

@iContact Nginx + PHP-FPM definitely better than Apache though not all Nginx web servers are created equal as I recently tested Centmin Mod vs Easyengine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack and PHP-FPM tests

Regardless of Apache or Nginx though, you want to use some form of wordpress caching to speed up your wordpress site and alleviate some of the load on PHP-FPM. Check out KeyCDN's cache enabler wordpress plugin - it's a improved version of WP Super Cache for doing full page static html caching of wordpress pages. I recently revisited KeyCDN cache enabler as it's offered as default recommended caching for Centmin Mod's auto wordpress installer menu option 22 https://community.centminmod.com/threads/revisiting-wordpress-cache-enabler-autoptimize-plugins-for-page-load-speed-optimization.15039/. Combined with some other wp plugins like Autoptimize, Warm Cache and Clearfy can result in a very speed wordpress install that scales.

Thanked by 1sidewinder
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Or

Apache + Nginx + MariaDB + all-the-other-stuff serverpilot adds. Similar to centminmod but in this case a shittier version: Nginx as reverse proxy. Centminmod is for the hardcore elites, the superior man with white hairy chest.

• For technical reasons I had to use Debian, so no CMM for me. I use now Easyengine and so far it's ok. Switching to php7 is very easy with it.

If my site gets more active and I need a new server I will probably go with CentOS + CMM. Not sure about the performance, but it feels like CMM has a much larger community. That's good when one gets stuck.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

What happens when we change the port of php-fpm from 9000 to 80?

• imokimok Member

@jcaleb said:

THE END

@jcaleb said:

php-fpm communicates via FastCGI, not via HTTP. You cannot serve HTTP requests to it… or I guess you can, but it will not work.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • CryingCrying Member

recommend you to use Nginx

• I'd go with nginx + php fpm for sure. The combination is friendlier with low server specs.

• PHP FPM sure speeds things up with Wordpress, also install some form of cache plugin to optimize delivery speed for your content.

• LAMP is sufficient most sites. Bigger/heavier sites would benefit from LEMP.

Thanked by 1athan
  • @eDigital said:
    nginx no doubt is faster but if your wordpress site receives low amount traffic then it doesn't matter whether its on nginx or apache.

Nginx own custom rewrite to, no need for htaccess

• GodsGods Member
    edited July 2018

NGINX for sure

• saf31saf31 Member

Happy user of easy engine here ( https://easyengine.io/ ) .

• ArisCArisC Member

Go with CentminMod if you want performance.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @Waldo19 said:
    LAMP is sufficient most sites.

If you just run WP on a VPS I would go one of those nginx mods. They are easy to install and easy to run, if you like Putty.

I would use LAMP only if I have a specific reason for it, for example running Webmin.

• vovlervovler Member

CyberPanel & Centminmod are the best performers.

CyberPanel runs OpenLitespeed, gives you access to LiteSpeed Cache, is more newbie friendly, has a web gui, and now accepts .htaccess,

Centminmod runs Nginx, doesnt have a web gui and allows you to heavily customize it.

Both have options to install the lastest WP version, both take some time to compile.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @dergelbe said:

@Waldo19 said:
    LAMP is sufficient most sites.

If you just run WP on a VPS I would go one of those nginx mods. They are easy to install and easy to run, if you like Putty.

I would use LAMP only if I have a specific reason for it, for example running Webmin.

I currently have over 100+ WP sites. Mostly IM related and maybe 20 or brick and mortar sites I designed for clients. After using LAMP and LEMP I concluded there are no noticeable differences for my low traffic sites. Ideally, I'll agree LEMP is better but honestly not a game changer for 95% of WP sites imho. My OG comment was in regards to smaller WP sites.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2018

@vovler said:
    CyberPanel & Centminmod are the best performers.

CyberPanel runs OpenLitespeed, gives you access to LiteSpeed Cache, is more newbie friendly, has a web gui, and now accepts .htaccess,

Centminmod runs Nginx, doesnt have a web gui and allows you to heavily customize it.

Both have options to install the lastest WP version, both take some time to compile.

I did some pagespeed benchmarks for both for wordpress sites running oceanwp coach theme at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/wordpress-webpagetest-pagespeed-comparison-for-cyberpanel-openlitespeed-vs-centmin-mod-lemp.15144/

CyberPanel 1.6.4 with OpenLiteSpeed 1.4.34, PHP 7.2.5, MariaDB 10.0.35 with Litspeed Cache WP plugin

versus

Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 via PHP 7.2 installer for Nginx 1.15.1, PHP-FPM 7.2.7, MariaDB 10.1.34 with Cache Enabler + Autoptimize + SmushIT

Guess which wins for page load speeds where visual render (first contentful paint/speedindex) matters ^_^

sample

Thanked by 1vovler
  • ols1clk is also good option for WordPress only deployments: https://github.com/litespeedtech/ols1clk