Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Raspberry Pi!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free Raspberry Pi!

Do you have a good idea, open source software project, itch to scratch or are you just interested in the Raspberry Pi? And do you want it for free? Then read on.

What?

I'm giving away two Raspberry Pi's per month, for free, to anybody which has a good use for it. It includes a case and a USB cable. Shipping included to anywhere in the world. However, there are a few conditions.

Read On and apply

Thanked by 2Infinity dnom

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Neat idea

• nice idea :)

• RuchirablogRuchirablog Member
    edited October 2013

I would love to get one. But your web site is down for me

edit: works without https

• very nice idea, I was interested, until i saw the conditions...

why visit 3 different website, and then to register in 2 different ones to post on 2 different sites...
    (voting platform on uservoice and github!)

is this to prevent abusers from entering contest easy?
    its a hassle to sign up on github which i find to be useless at my state of learning. (for signing up, not the using part).

I'm sad now :(
    I've been looking at the Raspberry site for the past month now, I've been wanting to play around with it so i can host it at my dad's place, he's not a techy person and i thought this would be [maybe] an easier way to set up some sort of media, so i can just drag and drop my files and it would sync to his place and watch a movie from it [media server?]

-idk, im tempted to buy 1 but im afraid i will not be able to use it properly [unsure of something i never had, you know?]

• Has anybody read the state of the thin client development on these? The stuff I've Googled has been contradictory. The B version (512MB) looks like it might work well as a thin client but the reviews that I've read trashing the thin client capabilities of the Pi don't specify the version.

• Wow, this is a great idea and I will apply for it, thank you @Raymii

• RuchirablogRuchirablog Member
    edited October 2013

I would like to apply for it too. I have done a Bluetooth,IR,Android remote control project with Arduino. @Raymii I would PM you the project report I did about it if you like.

I would love to extend it to use Ethernet and WiFi with the use of Raspberry Pi.

• I can ride my bike with no handle bars if you give the Pi to me.

• Already posted my idea :D

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited October 2013

@Tenshi_420 said:
    very nice idea, I was interested, until i saw the conditions...

why visit 3 different website, and then to register in 2 different ones to post on 2 different sites...
    (voting platform on uservoice and github!)

I want to stimulate tinkering, hacking, ideas, coding and such. I don't want them ending up oN a shelf somewhere not used...

Nice to see positive responses. It would help if you guys would do some social media sharing™!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@talsit please explain. Are you talking about thin client for rdp?

Easy

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Great promotion idea! We've been considering something like this ourselves.

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited October 2013

@BrianHarrison said:
    Great promotion idea! We've been considering something like this ourselves.

You can donate Pi's :p

• I'm still looking forward to Edis's free RasPi co-location..

• Want to know my idea?
    I would pack it in a dc charger like case. set an exploit that can hack the wifi/lan, doing a remote, and then put it in the bank or government building with a reason : coming as technician, saying that someone is calling me to repair the air conditioner.

nice isn't? :D

• edited October 2013

-

• @netomx less RDP, more like passthrough. Passing a full desktop with the ability to add local USB peripherals like drives and sound cards.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Want to know my idea?
    I would pack it in a dc charger like case. set an exploit that can hack the wifi/lan, doing a remote, and then put it in the bank or government building with a reason : coming as technician, saying that someone is calling me to repair the air conditioner.

nice isn't? :D

what?

• c0yc0y Member

@Ruchirablog said:
    what?

Don't you know all super secure bank communications go over an unprotected hidden wifi network?!

• @Frost said:
    Don't you know all super secure bank icommunications go over an unprotected hidden wifi network?!

But we have a MAC white list and you don't see our AP, so we're secure right?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Raymii said:
    But we have a MAC white list and you don't see our AP, so we're secure right?

HAHA ! yeah, I have seen those kinds of "securing". Add some WEP and you are bullet-proof too.

• i will not sell my time machine idea for a raspberri pi! no way!

• Some projects here can be achived in a easier way with Arduino or Freeduino as the controller and some electrical components (like contactors and relays).

• @EkaatyLinux said:
    Some projects here can be achived in a easier way with Arduino or Freeduino as the controller and some electrical components (like contactors and relays).

Correct. We've added a score counter to our table football , with an arduino and infrared sensors.

The gertboard is also nice.

I'd appriciate it if people would do some promotion on social networks?

• I wanna see raspi making coffee lol... I think you should require some more elaborate description HOW someone wants to do the project. I don't find hacking $500 coffee machine what would allow you to save 3 button presses particularly interesting (I'm referring to the project with the most votes so far) nor I think someone will really do it, and if someone has $500 coffee machine he can but $35 raspi himself. Anyone can write something eye-catching and do nothing later ;)

• @Raymii said:
    Correct. We've added a score counter to our table football , with an arduino and infrared sensors.

>

The gertboard is also nice.

>

I'd appriciate it if people would do some promotion on social networks?

If you post the link, I will see and advertise on my Facebook :p

I think that Raspberry Pi is a (very) good plataform but for some projects it is simply a brutal overkill. Arduino is OK to the home automation case, for example. And if you have some knowledge of electrotechnology this can be easy as 1,2,3.

And to be very honest, I think that Raspberry Pi isn't reliable at all to some applications. The Arduino, that was designed to automation, isn't.

If you think about, all this cheap projects aren't suitable to use at production and, if the project is well finished, you will need to work on a more reliable version of the hardware. This is very sad but is the truth: you can't trust on Arduino or Pi to this projects.

But I really encourage people to work on this plataforms because, as some industries here on Bahia-Brazil, we can rebuild the hardware with some crowdfunding and turn this in a very graceful reality. But you need to know what is the best plataform to start with...

• @EkaatyLinux said:
    If you post the link, I will see and advertise on my Facebook :p

Here you go: https://raymii.org/s/static/Free_Raspberry_Pi.html

• uh, i have one available as well - free, along with 2 IPv4, /48 IPv6, bw as required (not like it could do 100Mbit :p), location either Vaduz or Vienna depending on where i need to ship next

• @William said:
    uh, i have one available as well - free, along with 2 IPv4, /48 IPv6, bw as required (not like it could do 100Mbit :p), location either Vaduz or Vienna depending on where i need to ship next

You're restarting your free RasPi colo? I've been waiting for ages!

• I'm thinking of making a raspberry pi based weather station but I'm not sure it would be a popular idea.