Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel - Phishing Email - DO NOT PROVIDE YOUR DETAILS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel - Phishing Email - DO NOT PROVIDE YOUR DETAILS

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hi folks,

GDPR - Terms of Use Updated
It is a good thing. The new General Data Protection Regulations will give you more control of your data and safeguard your privacy.

We are updating the CPanel Services Agreement, which applies to your use of CPanel consumer online products and services. We’re making these updates to clarify our terms and ensure that they remain transparent for you, as well as to cover additional CPanel products, services and features.

If you continue to use our products or services, please login and agree to the updated terms of the CPanel Services Agreement.

This contains a link to enter your details, make sure NOT to enter your details.
cPanel is aware and they're going to address this matter publicly.

Thanked by 2MasonR vovler

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• Thanks for the info!

• @MikePT said:
    Hi folks,

It is a good thing. The new General Data Protection Regulations will give you more control of your data and safeguard your privacy.

We are updating the CPanel Services Agreement, which applies to your use of CPanel consumer online products and services. We’re making these updates to clarify our terms and ensure that they remain transparent for you, as well as to cover additional CPanel products, services and features.

If you continue to use our products or services, please login and agree to the updated terms of the CPanel Services Agreement.

This contains a link to enter your details, make sure NOT to enter your details.

My question is how did thy know the email addresses that they sent the email to ?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@zafouhar said:

@MikePT said:
    Hi folks,

My question is how did thy know the email addresses that they sent the email to ?

Scrapping webhosting companies using cPanel, and then sent the email.

Benny posted about this incident here: https://blog.cpanel.com/how-to-spot-a-phishing-email/

@Mods, can someone sticky this for a while? Accounts are at risk.

• Ah... GDPR phishing. It's one of the best type...

• mkshmksh Member

@MikePT said:
    Benny posted about this incident here: https://blog.cpanel.com/how-to-spot-a-phishing-email/

I guess they could have just told people to not use links in emails and go to sites manually (the cynic in me says this is because they don't want to discourage their users from clicking advertizing garbage...). Average joe doesn't read/doesn't understand headers and guessing by the mere looks of something is an approach beyond questionable. The part about wrong URLs being red flags also made me chuckle. Some strange looking URL wanting my login credentials should be a bit more than a red flag.

@Mods, can someone sticky this for a while? Accounts are at risk.

Maybe i am wrong but aren't their users people who provide hosting services? If so i'd expect at least little common sense from them when it comes to dealing with such an age old phenomenon as email phishing.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

mksh said: Maybe i am wrong but aren't their users people who provide hosting services? If so i'd expect at least little common sense from them when it comes to dealing with such an age old phenomenon as email phishing.

This is a very good attempt at phishing, so I'm simply spreading the word :-).
    People may fall for it due to the latest GDPR announcements and terms of service / policy updates, so let's prevent issues.