Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which folder is best for the sites?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which folder is best for the sites?

RomelRomel Member
edited October 2013 in Help

Hi everyone. I am new to VPS and this is my first time using a server with no control panel. I have so many questions but most are answered now. I have one which I need to ask for my own configuration.

My OS is CentOS 6 64 bit. Which folder is best for storing my sites... I read tutorials and most of them are located at /var/www/my_app/public_html... I notice that in my previous host (shared host) my sites are located at /home/my_username/my_app/public_html... So where is the best location is much favorable for you.

Can I create sites from any of these folders.. like I have one app under /home and another at /var?

Or does it really matter?

UPDATE:
Just done uploading my sites to the following paths
/var/www/app_one/public_html
/var/www/app_two/public_html
/var/www/app_three/public_html and so on

All are Drupal 7 sites, everything looks perfect to the end user but not to admin. Drupal Status report shows the following are not writable:
sites/default/files
css/cache (I am not sure the path now)
xml folder (I am not sure the path now)
and many more folders has permission errors.

The problem was resolve though by chmod and chown but one thing is hard to debug: the installation of module and theme via Drupal interface has no success.

I will try the location /home/my_username/my_app/public_html if I will have the same problem. I will keep you updated if I still have the permission to do so.

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2013

There's no real difference as far as the webserver is concerned but personally I prefer /home/.../public_html because unlike with /var/www it's not need to deal with permissions since users have ownership by default.
    It's also easier in case of more partitions (that's usually not concern with VPSs) because /home partition can stay untouched with reformatting/upgrading root partition.

• On my server they are under /var/public_html, but it doesn't really matter where you put your websites, you should be able to configure that in apache.

• awsonawson Member
    edited October 2013

I'm a fan of /var/www/[domain]/public.

• does it matter? For me it's /home/www/sitename/htdocs

• Under your home folder because it will make it easier for you to manage the sites as a normal user.

• Just done uploading my sites to the following paths
    /var/www/app_one/public_html
    /var/www/app_two/public_html
    /var/www/app_three/public_html and so on

All are Drupal 7 sites, everything looks perfect to the end user but not to admin. Reports shows the following are not writable:
    sites/default/files