Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPD Pocket - opinions plz
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GPD Pocket - opinions plz

NekkiNekki Veteran
edited June 2018 in General

I’m looking at that swish little GPD Pocket ‘ultra mobile’ laptop for a combination of browsing, occasional server admin, a little Citrix for work, with maybe a dash of Football Manager and a hefty dose of browser-based video streaming. I’m forever looking for the all-in-one device that I can carry rather than a small assortment of devices (and associated chargers) and this little beauty looks like it might have legs.

Anyone have one of these, or has been hands-on enough with one to form an opinion, particularly on the quality of the screen and the usability of the keyboard?

Comments

• it looks like a toy

• NekkiNekki Veteran

To a degree, it is; it’s clearly not a serious laptop for heavy day to day usage.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@Nekki said:
    To a degree, it is; it’s clearly not a serious laptop for heavy day to day usage.

I'd reckon it'd be on par with most students laptops which are aimed at office tasks & surfing. If you can plugin a second monitor it should be very handy actually :P

Seems like it is charged via usb c so it works even with your average phone powerbank?!

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited June 2018

Nekki said: I’m forever looking for the all-in-one device that I can carry rather than a small assortment of devices (and associated chargers) and this little beauty looks like it might have legs.

how is it any different to a regular laptop or netbook in that regard?

What about a phablet + BT keyboard to go one further. Less weight and even more portability.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

http://www.gpd.hk/pocket.asp

Are you going to get the manly Ubuntu version or pussy out with the Windows version?

This actually looks awesome and now I'm considering one...so I can play Nethack anywhere. Just doesn't work with tablet controls. Then again I'd probably tie my carpal tunnels up in knots on this keyboard.

Reminds me of this: https://www.openbsd.org/zaurus.html

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Adam1 said:

Nekki said: I’m forever looking for the all-in-one device that I can carry rather than a small assortment of devices (and associated chargers) and this little beauty looks like it might have legs.

how is it any different to a regular laptop or netbook in that regard?

It’s a shitload smaller and lighter and fits in my coat pocket.

What about a phablet + BT keyboard to go one further. Less weight and even more portability.

Tried that, found too many things I either couldn’t do or could do but the experience was just too disjointed. Android might be better than iOS but I’m not interested in leaving the Apple eco-system at this stage.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    http://www.gpd.hk/pocket.asp

Are you going to get the manly Ubuntu version or pussy out with the Windows version?

I can only find the Windows version for sale in the UK but I understand you can install Ubuntu relatively easily so that’s the plan.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited June 2018

I had a HTC Shift some years back -

- running good ol' windows vista.

The practicality of it was debatable. I found it too slow and small to do anything worthwhile that couldn't be done on my phone, so it turned out to be a novelty more than anything else. GPD seems pretty expensive when there's tons of cheap Chinese 7-10" Win10 tablets (in the $100-200 range) -- i.e. Linx, NuVision, Ematic, etc. Maybe try one of those out for the small investment first to see if it's practical and you'd actually get shit done on it before investing ~$600 in something that you might only use a handful of times.

• I'd hold out for a month or two if you were thinking of getting one.

There's a v2 on the cards due soon, which wills have upgraded specs:

https://liliputing.com/2018/06/gpd-pocket-2-mini-laptop-to-sport-a-slimmer-bezels-and-body.html

• 7 inch, 1920 x 1200 pixel touchscreen display
    • Intel Core M3-7Y30 Kaby lake processor
    • 4GB and 8GB RAM options
    • 128GB of eMMC 5.0 storage
    • MicroSD card slot
    • 6,800 mAh battery
    • 2 USB 3.0 Type-A ports
    • 1 USB Type-C port for charging/data/video
    • Headset jack
    • Capacitive pen

So you could either get newer model, or cheaper existing model.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • saibalsaibal Member

The CPU in the v2 is quite a step up.

• a toy,Radiator must reform itself

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MasonR said:

The practicality of it was debatable. I found it too slow and small to do anything worthwhile that couldn't be done on my phone, so it turned out to be a novelty more than anything else. GPD seems pretty expensive when there's tons of cheap Chinese 7-10" Win10 tablets (in the $100-200 range) -- i.e. Linx, NuVision, Ematic, etc. Maybe try one of those out for the small investment first to see if it's practical and you'd actually get shit done on it before investing ~$600 in something that you might only use a handful of times.

I see where you’re coming from, but if I’m going to do that then I may as well just buy the GPD and then if I don’t like it resell it for a $100-$200 loss. I am also conscious that the performance of a lot of those crappy Chinese tablets is going to be so poor that it may not be a reasonable comparison.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@psylenced said:
    So you could either get newer model, or cheaper existing model.

The lack of a nub on the new model bothers me, so I’m thinking i’ll go for the cheaper existing model. Already starting to see discounts of £50 on the existing price. The new model sounds like it’s going to be £100-£150 more expensive that the original, which tips the scales for me - £500 is my limit for a secondary ‘luxury’ device like this.

• edited June 2018

I bought one via the Indiegogo Campaign and I love mine along with a GPD Win (v1). I loaded Windows LTSB on it and removed most of the bloat. I have small hands, so typing on it is not that difficult. It works great as a pop-up and go computer when you don't need. I use mine a lot as a crash-cart device to triage issues that come up. GPD Pocket 2 should be interesting; I'd hold off before backing to see what the final form is and how it is received.

With that said, if you can find it for a cheap price and you're looking to do light tasks, maybe some video playback, word editing and browsing -it will be a great device. I'm a lover of niche devices and this fits the bill! I doubt you will be able to find a just Ubuntu version. And none-the-less, it behooves you to get a Windows version, since you will have an activated copy of WIndows with it, which you can always later install Ubuntu or run it form a flash drive.

Thanked by 1Nekki