Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Needed For WordPress site
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Needed For WordPress site

Hi,

I am looking for a VPS that I can install a WordPress site on to. However, I will need some help in setting the VPS up as when I have tried before, I couldn't get emails to work for some reason (probably lack of experience/knowledge). That is key to this site, as it relies upon email marketing to genuine double opt in lists. The lists are small if anyone is put off by this, currently around 1,500 maximum, although the nature of the business means that these lists could be hit around 3 times per day with updates etc.

Also if anyone could recommend a good control panel, I would appreciate that too. I have used Webmin/Virtualmin before, but I had problems with getting the emails working using this control panel, so that has sort of put me off.

Once the VPS is up and running without any issues, I don't need any further support so I am not looking for a managed server/service, just a bit of help at the start to get the DNS and emails setup correctly.

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

Maybe @Francisco can offer an initial setup of the server? :P

BuyVM

Thanked by 2Moorgate Francisco
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Any server specs required and any budget in mind?

• @WebProject said:
    Any server specs required and any budget in mind?

It would have helped if I had mentioned that in the first place :)

I probably need a 2Gb RAM, maybe a couple of cores, a decent-ish amount of bandwidth (~2Tb maybe) and fast storage of ~30 - 50Gb. Price wise, something like £5.00pm/€6.00pm/$7.00pm/

For the most part, the site will be inactive, in so much as it won't have too many visitors. However, once an email campaign goes out, then the site is likely to get 800 - 1,000 people hitting it within a few hours. I just need something that can cope with that really.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

I personally prefer ISPConfig, but I can install a control panel of your choice to any of our packages.
    I can also help you with DNS, SPF, DKIM and other stuff.

Thanked by 1Moorgate
  • It would be much easier to use something like AmazonSES

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Moorgate said: The lists are small if anyone is put off by this, currently around 1,500 maximum, although the nature of the business means that these lists could be hit around 3 times per day with updates etc.

its 4.5K per day or around 90k per month, definitely better off some kind of SMTP relay service.

what about server/node location, any pref?

• @FHR said:
    I personally prefer ISPConfig, but I can install a control panel of your choice to any of our packages.
    I can also help you with DNS, SPF, DKIM and other stuff.

ISPConfig is fine with me @FHR. If you can help with the other bits that would be great too. TBH, I am more looking for help than someone to do it for me, as that way I will learn. Do you have a website so I can view your prices etc?

• @WebProject said:

Moorgate said: The lists are small if anyone is put off by this, currently around 1,500 maximum, although the nature of the business means that these lists could be hit around 3 times per day with updates etc.

its 4.5K per day or around 90k per month, definitely better off some kind of SMTP relay service.

No, it's not that many TBH. With the current list size we have, it is likely to be 4.5K max on any one day, but not everyday. The chances are it will be <25K per month, as we are not emailing out everyday, just when there is new membership information available.

• Moorgate said: what about server/node location, any pref?

@WebProject said:

Sorry forgot to answer that. The majority of our customers (~98%) are in the U.K. so I would prefer that location, but I don't think it is critical.

ISPConfig is fine with me @FHR. If you can help with the other bits that would be great too. TBH, I am more looking for help than someone to do it for me, as that way I will learn. Do you have a website so I can view your prices etc?

Sure, SkylonHost.com. However, I can do a custom package for you based on the requirements you listed above:

• 2GB RAM
    • 30GB SSD
    • 1 vCore @ 3.5GHz
    • 3TB of bandwidth, DDOS protected
    • 1x IPv4 + /80 IPv6
    • 6.5e / month (+VAT, if you are from Europe)

Mass mailing is allowed as long as you're not sending spam or scam emails. However, for large quantities of emails I always recommend using an external SMTP Relay service such as Amazon SES to maximize deliverability.

• @FHR said:

Sure, SkylonHost.com. However, I can do a custom package for you based on the requirements you listed above:

• 2GB RAM
    • 30GB SSD
    • 1 vCore @ 3.5GHz
    • 1x IPv4 + /80 IPv6
    • 6.5e / month (+VAT, if you are from Europe) Mass mailing is allowed as long as you're not sending spam or scam emails. However, for large quantities of emails I always recommend using an external SMTP Relay service such as Amazon SES to maximize deliverability.

Thanks for that. I promise that we do not send scam or spam emails. These are genuine double opt-in subscribers. In the most part, these are actually customers, but of course they may not want services in the future, so all unsubscribes are honoured as are account deletions and information requests etc.

And in any case, I don't want to lose a good hosting company either :)

• @FHR said:

• 2GB RAM
    • 30GB SSD
    • 1 vCore @ 3.5GHz
    • 1x IPv4 + /80 IPv6
    • 6.5e / month (+VAT, if you are from Europe)

I'm happy to go with that spec and price. How do we can this started?

@Moorgate said:

I'm happy to go with that spec and price. How do we can this started?

I've sent you a PM with the order link.

Thanked by 1Moorgate