Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Azure Northern Europe down for 11 hours
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Azure Northern Europe down for 11 hours

Azure down for 11 hours, due to humidity.

Only funny thing about this is, that when something like OVH SBG is down shortly for power failure. Everyone's up on arms. But when Azure goes down, everyones more or less like meh.

Thanked by 1hanoi

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

People who use Azure understand that disasters happen in any serious infrastructure. People who use OVH loose millions each minute of downtime.

• The end is far away

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

Real question, how can a Microsoft datacenter not be equipped to deal with extra humidity? Don't people pay the premium to be in/on their datacenter/network to avoid that type stuff?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@MikeA said:
    Real question, how can a Microsoft datacenter not be equipped to deal with extra humidity? Don't people pay the premium to be in/on their datacenter/network to avoid that type stuff?

Simply luck of datacenter engineers, people do pay premium for their services but it doesn’t mean anything!

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited June 2018

@MikeA said:
    Real question, how can a Microsoft datacenter not be equipped to deal with extra humidity?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/22/azure_north_europe_downed_by_pleasant_weather/

In the article it said: By next Friday, the weather forecast in Dublin anticipates temperatures as high as 24°C or 75°F.

Wow! Under that condition most humans would die! No wonder....

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@dergelbe said:

@MikeA said:
    Real question, how can a Microsoft datacenter not be equipped to deal with extra humidity?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/22/azure_north_europe_downed_by_pleasant_weather/

In the article it said: By next Friday, the weather forecast in Dublin anticipates temperatures as high as 24°C or 75°F.

It's hotter in Texas at night!

• @dergelbe said:

You clearly haven't been in a tropical country in a summer, LOL!

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • IshaqIshaq Member

@pullangcubo said: You clearly haven't been in a tropical country in a summer, LOL!

I think you missed the sarcasm.

• @Ishaq said:

@pullangcubo said: You clearly haven't been in a tropical country in a summer, LOL!

I think you missed the sarcasm.

On a second read, yeah I think I replied too soon. But I need to extricate myself from such an embarrassing remark, so: my remark was directed to the author of the linked article, you dumbass! :D

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@WebDude said:

Only funny thing about this is, that when something like OVH SBG is down shortly for power failure. Everyone's up on arms. But when Azure goes down, everyones more or less like meh.

@AlexBarakov said:
    People who use Azure understand that disasters happen in any serious infrastructure. People who use OVH loose millions each minute of downtime.

Next time they have a humidity related situation, they can just blame it on data center that is actually submerged in the ocean to help with cooling - https://news.microsoft.com/features/under-the-sea-microsoft-tests-a-datacenter-thats-quick-to-deploy-could-provide-internet-connectivity-for-years/

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

must be a one man company....

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@WebDude said:

I assure you that Azure customers are up in arms, but will be complaining to their Account Manager, not on LET...

• vovlervovler Member
    edited June 2018

Talking about humidity, I still want to know how they are gonna perform maintenance on their underwater datacenter

Team: "Sir, according to SMART one drive is about to fail."

Manager : "If he dies... he dies..."

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @vovler said:
    Talking about humidity, I still want to know how they are gonna performance maintenance on their underwater datacenter

Silly question. If humidity gets too low you simply open the door a little.

But seriously, they way I read the article is that just some areas got affected and they probably routed capacity around it.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@dergelbe said:

@vovler said:
    Talking about humidity, I still want to know how they are gonna performance maintenance on their underwater datacenter

Silly question. If humidity gets too low you simply open the door a little.

But seriously, they way I read the article is that just some areas got affected and they probably routed capacity around it.

And let all the dust in you filtered out in the first place ?

• @MikeA said:

They do pay a hefty premium. It's like $20 a month for the equivalent of an ovh SSD 1 with a crappy HDD that does like 30mb/s. I had to do some sql stuff on a basic azure vps and it took nearly 2 hours to install a few programs.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

There any official RFO yet ?

• emghemgh Member

@Clouvider said:

Well, Microsoft said the following: ”Engineers identified that an underlying temperature issue in one of the datacentres in the region triggered an infrastructure alert, which in turn caused a structured shutdown of a subset of Storage and Network devices in this location to ensure hardware and data integrity.”

But I guess they’ll give us more information. Or not.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited June 2018

@emgh said:

@Clouvider said:

Well, Microsoft said the following: ”Engineers identified that an underlying temperature issue in one of the datacentres in the region triggered an infrastructure alert, which in turn caused a structured shutdown of a subset of Storage and Network devices in this location to ensure hardware and data integrity.”

But I guess they’ll give us more information. Or not.

Thank you! Thank you! You and Microsoft hinted me at a promising get-rich-quickly scheme.

I'm hereby gladly announcing J100DISS, jsg's 100% data integrity storage service. For a paltry 200$/GB we guarantee 100% integrity of your valuable data!*

*small print: Our J100DISS data center will be switched on every 3rd friday of a month for 1 hour (if weather allows) to allow our customers to up- and download their data. Please note that that monthly hour is excluded from our 100% integrity guarantee.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Clouvider said:

Basically, the air-con blew up in a couple of places and the resulting temperature increase caused problems for a bunch of network and storage devices, which resulted in latency and connectivity issues.

Thanked by 1Clouvider