Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server with lots of cores
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server with lots of cores

BlaconixBlaconix Member
edited June 2018 in Requests

Hello, I'm looking for a server with lots of cores.

VZ Type: KVM, or any

Number of Cores: At least 8, the more the better

>

RAM: >= 2GB

>

Disk Space: >= 40GB

>

Disk Type: Any, but preferably SSD

Bandwidth: At least 1Tb

>

Port Speed: Any, not really important

DDoS Protection: Not important

Number of IPs: 1

Budget: ~20$/month

Billing period: Monthly, Quarterly

Comments

• Doable, assuming each core is set to the speed of a Pentium III.

Seriously, you're using the entirety of the server's CPU power and only want a tiny fraction of the RAM. Do you think the host can reliably sell any more servers with you on board?

That alone makes the $20/month price tag unreasonable. If I recall correctly, @Neon has a dedicated server finder that you may use.

Thanked by 1pxhaxor
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

ImpactVPS $24 plan has 8 cores, probably the cheapest you'll get with that many cores, and I would assume it's an older CPU.

http://impactvps.com/vps.html

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:
    ImpactVPS $24 plan has 8 cores, probably the cheapest you'll get with that many cores, and I would assume it's an older CPU.

http://impactvps.com/vps.html

A small disclaimer on this, cores are fair share. The higher core number comes from the plans being resource pools for you to split between multiple vms.

The processors are Dual E5-2630 v3 or v4

• @Awmusic12635

The concern was that he was going to use them all. The only use I can think of for such a low amount of RAM and such a large amount of cores is CPU mining. I may be wrong though, so if he can post some sort of justification, that would ease the minds of hosts.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    @Awmusic12635

The concern was that he was going to use them all. The only use I can think of for such a low amount of RAM and such a large amount of cores is CPU mining. I may be wrong though, so if he can post some sort of justification, that would ease the minds of hosts.

That was my thought too but his budget of $20/month is too realistic for a miner

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • williewillie Member

Scaleway? Slow cores, but lots of them cheap.

Did you post another thread like this a few weeks ago?

• wait till next black Friday in November and you can get a 16+ core Virmach for under $5 per month.

Thanked by 2willie dahartigan
  • FredQcFredQc Member

Why not go with an Hetzner dedi? These are a little bit over budget but you will get all the cores for you 24/7.

• BlaconixBlaconix Member
    edited June 2018

Oh, I was gonna use them to compile lots of repos from self-hosted GL.
    And, I'm not compiling 24/7, but 2-3 hours/day.

• Maybe use a service like DO/vultr etc. where you can pay as you go. So you can get powerful machines as you need them and just delete them when you are finished. THis is what they made the Cloud for (and ofc some more profit)

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited June 2018

Oh, so a Gitlab runner or Kubernites type software. I see.

2-3 hours on 8 cores is still quite steep, you may need to raise your budget to get a small dedicated server. For example, this server may interest you: https://robot.your-server.de/order/marketConfirm/823783/culture/en_GB/country/GB

Roughly $25 USD per month, 4 cores and 8 threads dedicated to you.

• defaultdefault Veteran

+1 for Scaleway, and you can pay only for those 2-3 hours per day, not a whole month.

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

I can offer (Only once available because there is a Node with to less RAM and HDD!!):

CPU: 8 Cores
    RAM: 4 GB
    HDD: 50 GB

For 15 € / month

Mining is not allowed, but you can easy max the CPU for 12h / day.
    Storage is not realy fast, but cant offer this on a newer Node.

• Get a Kimsufi server.

• @JoeMerit said:
    wait till next black Friday in November and you can get a 16+ core Virmach for under $5 per month.

With 3GB of storage lol.

• i7-3770

of Cores: 4

of Threads: 8

3.40 GHz - Max Turbo 3.90 GHz

20 euro

comes with more ram and lots more storage, but 4 cores (8 threads) only.