Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent Student Laptop for $300-400ish? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent Student Laptop for $300-400ish?

2»

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited June 2018

Look for the Acer E15 series (also the E5 ones, for something a little bit older). There are a lot of combinations starting with an i3 cpu, but what I like is that these machines have 1080p screens. I would look first for this if you really want to get the job done.

At amazon these start at ~$360 and IIRC, you can get a M.2 ssd and mantain the HDD that comes with them.

Edit: sorry for editing my post a lot

I would get this one https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i3-8130U-Memory-E5-576-392H/dp/B079TGL2BZ

• Thinkpad x220 (for 7 row keyboard) or x230 ( island keyboard). x240 comes with external battery hotswap capabilty(courtesy 24Whr internal battery), but with a switch to Intel ULV cpu.

stuck in new 250gb ssd (remove two screws literally)

Thanked by 1mksh
  • Jesus Christ. Get her the stone tablet and chisel already!!

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@raindog308 Being a student myself I can only say weight is definitely something to consider! My acer windows tablet weighs 1,1kg (ms surface weighs about 800gish?!). I would definitely recommend one of the laptops/windows tablets which weigh around 600g ish! A friend has one and Id so gladly have a lightweight one like that. When I bought mine I went for windows tablet + specs but yeah weight is really a thing! Consider it :)

Although way above your budget this is the one i currently have: https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/acer+switch+alpha+12+fit+sa5+271+fit+acer+active+stift?nbbRef=forcew2evf6

I recommend it for specs/performance and usability as a tablet but imho acter 2 semestres definitly too heavy (1,1kg that is). Also due to Acer Liqui cooling it is super silent.

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • bapbap Member
    edited June 2018

@raindog308 said:
    she's not a computer nerd, so she does not need an octocore i7, a fancy graphics card, etc.

for 400, asus vivobook max with U version of intel i3?
    no ssd, but youll get 4gb ddr4 ram, just turn off the swap (what is it in windows? paging file?), or get a cheap ssd.

• xaocxaoc Member

I know it's a bit over the budget but why not get one of those surface Pros for business(means it has LTE out of the box) The lowest option comes with a core M and it's around 600$ and i've seen they have that parent/student discount on the website as well. Or maybe one of the older models(refurbished). I got a surface pro 3 and still works great with a 3-4 hours battery life.

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

Look into the Lenovo Ideapad range, not sure about the US market but usually they come within that price, including a SSD drive.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited June 2018

@vimalware said:
    Thinkpad x220 (for 7 row keyboard) or x230 ( island keyboard). x240 comes with external battery hotswap capabilty(courtesy 24Whr internal battery), but with a switch to Intel ULV cpu.

stuck in new 250gb ssd (remove two screws literally)

Agreed all those models should easily fit your price range (X220 can be had at like 100€ if you are bit lucky and can take some minor visual flaws - not with IPS panel though). They also exist as tablet variants with a turnable screen. Never seen those live though. They are said to be a bit heavier but if touchy is a requirement that might be worth looking into.

Hint: If you want WWAN look if you can buy the card separately. Afaik know all models that have a WWAN option will have the antennas mounted even if they didn't come with this originally and the cards are usually extremely cheap (like <10€). Installing them is pretty easy (plenty howtos at your favorite search engine). Just be sure to get the right model as without modifying the BIOS the laptop will complain if you install some random card.

• I am surprised no one has suggested it yet, but don't forget to check out dell outlet, you can normally find something there. I would stick with latitude or XPS... some of the "home" stuff is garbage!

• @huntercop said:
    Lenovo has tons of options, IBM is also a certified refurbished reseller of their computers that come with decent 1-3 yr warranties. I have used cheaper laptops from them for about $100-200 for a few years.. worked great with Ubuntu Desktop compared to Windows.. which would only be "good" considering it is Windows.

does IBM still refurb Lenovo? As far as I know they are moving away from Lenovo as fast as possible.

• mkshmksh Member

@maldovia said:

@huntercop said:
    Lenovo has tons of options, IBM is also a certified refurbished reseller of their computers that come with decent 1-3 yr warranties. I have used cheaper laptops from them for about $100-200 for a few years.. worked great with Ubuntu Desktop compared to Windows.. which would only be "good" considering it is Windows.

does IBM still refurb Lenovo? As far as I know they are moving away from Lenovo as fast as possible.

No idea really but it wouldn't surprise me. With lenovo having departed from IBM's design Thinkpads are becoming less and less of what they were originally known for. Still not bad but each generation pushes them further towards the fragile consumer grade stuff they used to be the opposite of.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I'm not a Windows expert, but I think you will need to buy Word, Excel, and PowerPoint separately, though I think PowerPoint comes with Win10 Pro which is more expensive.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    I'm not a Windows expert, but I think you will need to buy Word, Excel, and PowerPoint separately, though I think PowerPoint comes with Win10 Pro which is more expensive.

Many colleges offer the Microsoft suite for free

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Strong recommendation against HP; my experience (and that's been corroborated by some repair techs) is that they consistently suffer from either failed fans or failed power bricks, often within two years. There are a few exceptions but they are nowhere near OP's budget.

Acer is hit-or-miss. Some models are good and reliable, some models are crap.

Clevo/Sager type laptops are fine hardware-wise but the casing tends to fall apart when you look at it funny, and they're typically relatively heavy. That includes all the brands that rebrand Clevo/Sager laptops, which is basically every less-known non-Chinese brand.

The consumer line of literally any brand is almost always crap; avoid if you can. Business laptops is what you want to go for.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2018

@raindog308

We are talking about a girl, student. Performance does not really matter in her opinion, but mobility, battery capacity, and fancy.

Combining girlish + student + perfomance, I recommend: https://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T102HA-D4-GR-Touchscreen-Quad-Core-Keyboard/dp/B01K1JW7RS

It comes in white + orange too, girlish style, because on a girl night out after classes, she can leave the keyboard in the school locker room.

Edit: forgot the gif, it comes with a pen too.

• RazzaRazza Member

@default I know performance is not the op biggest requirement but the CPU performance of Intel atom is a joke, he would be better getting a used ThinkPad x220 which comes with a better CPU than that atom junk.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2018

@Razza said:
    @default I know performance is not the op biggest requirement but the CPU performance of Intel atom is a joke, he would be better getting a used ThinkPad x220 which comes with a better CPU than that atom junk.

When we are talking about performance, it depends what you need it for. 15 years ago you could type documents and create a dissertation or presentation using a single core processor and just 128mb RAM, rocking on a good old Windows XP.

Now we are talking about 4 cores on an Intel Atom with 4gb RAM, all with mobility colors, and you tell me it's not enough for a student...

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • Often there are good deals on laptop on Reddit /r/hardwareswap

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Huge fan of ThinkPads (Pre W540 & T440 before Lenovo turned them to expensive consumer grade paperweights) and Dell Latitude and Precision laptops. If you can find refurbished or ex-leased ones, you can often get them pretty cheap.
    They are rugged, reliable workhorses but they won't look pretty.

Thanked by 2vimalware mksh
  • Adam1Adam1 Member

Have you tried using photoshop on a 800p screen?

• Adam1 said: Have you tried using photoshop on a 800p screen?

I used Photoshop a lot on a 1024x768 VGA CRT 15 years ago. :) Anything recent, including 800p should be gold.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited June 2018

@default said:
    Now we are talking about 4 cores on an Intel Atom with 4gb RAM, all with mobility colors, and you tell me it's not enough for a student...

Yes, that is probably the case. Just have a look at the well known "intel - Microsoft loop" that meanwhile also has infested much other software incl. open source. And that's even more likely to be true with a young woman who isn't particularly computer affine.

A propos "young woman". I might be wrong, but I assume @raindog308's daughter is not a "girly" but an intelligent young woman who needs a proper and reliable tool for the phase of life she is entering into soon. If "stylish" really is a concern for her she can add styling to almost any notebook - and that would at least be HER style.

Yes, weight seems to be a problem with Thinkpad, and for that matter with any other sturdy device. If she were my daughter I'd simply buy her a good notebook + some books + some stuff a young woman in college typically needs to carry around ... bag with a good and well padded shoulder strap and the option to be carried as rucksack too.

• @maldovia said:

In North America, IBM still handles support and logistics for Lenovo's stuff for the meantime. The techs they also send out are also contracted by IBM, not Lenovo for most of Lenovo's support work.

They just don't admit that publicly.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

also don't forget some places off student discounts I assume ? I know in Australia some folks do i.e. dell

• vintervinter Member
    edited June 2018

I got a refurbished T420s in 2013 when i needed a replacement laptop for uni, it still serves me well. I would pick any refurbished T-Series above anything else new/or used in that price category. (T430s/T440(p/s))

• Whatever you do, get a 8th gen processor. About 30-40% performance increase. Next you should look for is a good screen and upgradeable internals.

• @eva2000 said:
    also don't forget some places off student discounts I assume ? I know in Australia some folks do i.e. dell

I just remembered, Dell has $100 GC for their webstore (on purchases over $500) for students. Maybe able to snag a refurb XPS 13 from their outlet?

• Read this post yesterday and mine ssd fucked today morning.