Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terminating a netcup VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Terminating a netcup VPS?

I have a monthly billed netcup root server I ordered at the beginning of this month and I want to terminate it at the end of this month.

Can I terminate it at the end of this month, or is it only possible to terminate it at the end of next month, according to their 30 day advance notice scheme in their TOS, Meaning I have to notify them before the end of this month, pay next month's bill and terminate it then?

Thanked by 1coreflux

Comments

• If you look in the control panel (where you pay the invoices, look at your currently setup services etc.), you'll see the option for the earliest cancellation date which you can click and setup the cancellation of the service. Typically you can cancel only 30 or 31 days in advance.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Don’t forget to email them and open support ticket, to make sure that it’s definitely will be terminated. As plenty negative stories about the subject, where the customer clicked on the button but still the service hasn’t been cancelled.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • lemonlemon Member
    edited June 2018

@WebProject said:
    Don’t forget to email them and open support ticket, to make sure that it’s definitely will be terminated. As plenty negative stories about the subject, where the customer clicked on the button but still the service hasn’t been cancelled.

you'll get an email if you cancel it, so if there are problems afterwards just send them that email.
    no need to open ticket then.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited June 2018

WebProject said: As plenty negative stories about the subject, where the customer clicked on the button but still the service hasn’t been cancelled.

most likely those stories are literally this, just stories.

I cancelled multiple services with them already and never ran into problems. it's as easy as clicking on the apropriate fields in their control panel. you will get a mail that confirms and you can see it being scheduled for cancellation directly in the control panel as well after you went through with. so there simply is nothing to miss or be pending or whatever.

yet 31 days in advance means 31 days in advance. so if your renewal date is the e.g.10th, then you are too late now for cancellation and will have to pay another month.

also do note that they have contract term length which you chose from during order, so if you went for an offer on 12month term you won't be able to cancel (31 days) before the end of that - dispite them billing you monthly.

second note to this: their new generation of vServers (not rootserver) are supposed to be billed hourly, so these can be cancelled/destroyed any time and you'll get a prorata'd refund as far as I know.

• TsuyoTsuyo Member
    edited June 2018

@rchurch said:
    I have a monthly billed netcup root server I ordered at the beginning of this month and I want to terminate it at the end of this month.

Can I terminate it at the end of this month, or is it only possible to terminate it at the end of next month, according to their 30 day advance notice scheme in their TOS, Meaning I have to notify them before the end of this month, pay next month's bill and terminate it then?

They have a 31 day time window. So worst case scenario you'd end up paying for another month on top of that if you're too late with cancelling it. Unless you've got one of those houly billed ones, then they do credit the money to your IBAN account.

@WebProject said:

No need for that, they properly send cancellation mails. The only time when they need something written (and scanned) is when you want to revert a cancellation.

I guess that LET drama somehow got lost in translation.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

+1, cancelled a VPS via their control panel, asked me to provide them with my bank details, and they sent me back the overcharged amount (pro rata). All done within a week.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

I like netcup so much that I have not yet canceled a VPS with them!

• LeviLevi Member

In compare with Hetzner netcup is low, very low level. Glad to switch for Hetz cloud, paying more, but receiving proper, polite and with compromises sales help. No "that's German law" BS.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Additionally you can just send them this template (adjust it to say Vserver/Server with IP address etc): https://www.aboalarm.de/kuendigungsschreiben/domain/netcup-kuendigen

Your cancellation will be effective as soon as you send the Fax via aboalarm or by yourself.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • I want to order a regular VPS, but the billing period says 6 months. Does that mean that although I have to pay for 6 months at the start, I can terminate it before the 6 month period is up it and have the remainder refunded or allocated to another order?

• @Ympker said:
    Additionally you can just send them this template (adjust it to say Vserver/Server with IP address etc): https://www.aboalarm.de/kuendigungsschreiben/domain/netcup-kuendigen

Your cancellation will be effective as soon as you send the Fax via aboalarm or by yourself.

Is the aboalarm some kind of standard German service cancellation form, or is it used for netcup only?

@rchurch said:
    I want to order a regular VPS, but the billing period says 6 months. Does that mean that although I have to pay for 6 months at the start, I can terminate it before the 6 month period is up it and have the remainder refunded or allocated to another order?

No, I'm afraid not, as far as I'm aware.

If you're looking at the site in German, pay attention to the Mindestvertragslaufzeit ('minimal contract period') of the plan, which is the period that you commit yourself to. If it's 6 months, then you commit yourself to 6 months, and you need to cancel the contract at least 1 month before the end of the 6 months if you don't want the contract to be automatically renewed for another 6 months.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@rchurch said:

@Ympker said:

Is the aboalarm some kind of standard German service cancellation form, or is it used for netcup only?

Standard templates and covers most providers (you get a different form per provider). You can either copy the template and send it on your own for free or you pay 2,50€ish and they fax it giving you a direct fax confirmation which you can show if amy problems of further charges arrive and they cover any lawyer costs should you need to go to court regarding any falsely issued payments that happen later due to cancellation issues.

So basically if you were to cancel a contract through their paid service 2,50€ and your provider/isp/contractor keeps charging you (a mobile isp did this with a friend) they cover all falsely charged invoices afterwards and pay lawyer fees for the court.

Thanked by 1rchurch

@Ympker said:

@rchurch said:

@Ympker said:

Standard templates and covers most providers (you get a different form per provider). You can either copy the template and send it on your own for free or you pay 2,50€ish and they fax it giving you a direct fax confirmation which you can show if amy problems of further charges arrive and they cover any lawyer costs should you need to go to court regarding any falsely issued payments that happen later due to cancellation issues.

So basically if you were to cancel a contract through their paid service 2,50€ and your provider/isp/contractor keeps charging you (a mobile isp did this with a friend) they cover all falsely charged invoices afterwards and pay lawyer fees for the court.

But just to be clear in case @rchurch gets the wrong impression: you can cancel your contract at netcup in their billing panel by simply clicking on a button.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@rchurch said:

@Ympker said:

But just to be clear in case @rchurch gets the wrong impression: you can cancel your contract at netcup in their billing panel by simply clicking on a button.

Yeah ofc you can :P I also always did with netcup without a problem. Just some german companies like O2/Vodafone here keep charging people after "invalid" cancellation having in place the most weird/antique cancellation systems/practices.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Just to prevent others headache...with Netcup you must take action to cancel. Many providers will simply cancel your service if you stop paying, but Netcup will not and will send you bills if you don't cancel.

Thanked by 1Falzo
This discussion has been closed.