Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apache going down randomly with no logs and no journalctl logs too
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apache going down randomly with no logs and no journalctl logs too

My server has been periodically going down, and specfically, apache has been shutting down periodically. I couldn't find any logs by apache. I checked journalctl to see what happened before apache shut down, but nothing in journalctl either. I've attached all the error.log files in an archive down there. Any help appriciated

https://transfer.sh/1421jj/error_logs.tar.gz

Comments

• LeviLevi Member
    edited June 2018

Turn on debug, rotate debug log on 1mb size to avoid disk filling up and you will see your problem if it's really apache fault.

P.S. It would be idiotical to download your 'log' as it can be virus.

• If your system crashes, apache will not be able to write log. Check your syslog.

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited June 2018
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

The first line in the log (repeated at a later point) gives you everything you need to google. You'll find plenty entries.

• williewillie Member

[Sun Jun 17 06:25:07.709147 2018] [core:notice] [pid 1351] AH00060: seg fault or similar nasty error detected in the parent process

A quick web search finds some posts about plesk and some about logrotate. I'd see if either of those match your situation, and if there are any patches or workarounds available. Failing that, try to find a way to trigger the crash, then run apache under gdb to get a stack dump. If you know how to debug such things then proceed from there, otherwise open a bug report with the dump attached. Crash=bad.

• zkyezzkyez Member

@willie said:

[Sun Jun 17 06:25:07.709147 2018] [core:notice] [pid 1351] AH00060: seg fault or similar nasty error detected in the parent process

A quick web search finds some posts about plesk and some about logrotate. I'd see if either of those match your situation, and if there are any patches or workarounds available. Failing that, try to find a way to trigger the crash, then run apache under gdb to get a stack dump. If you know how to debug such things then proceed from there, otherwise open a bug report with the dump attached. Crash=bad.

If he has any binary apache modules another approach would be slowly disabling them one by one until apache doesn't crap out anymore. I had a similar issue with mod_jk. Debugging under gdb is the ideal way of dealing with this but if this is a production box you need to find a way to reproduce the issue otherwise the performance impact would be undesirable.