Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Publishing server stats publicly, good or bad idea?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Publishing server stats publicly, good or bad idea?

Good morning,

I'm now asking if publishing server stats (memory usage & server load) is a good or bad idea. The base idea is to show to potential customers that servers are not overloaded.

Best regards.

Comments

• @manoaratefy said:
    Good morning,

I'm now asking if publishing server stats (memory usage & server load) is a good or bad idea. The base idea is to show to potential customers that servers are not overloaded.

Best regards.

Not a bad idea as such but it would just be a snapshot of the moment in time that you ran the benchmark or whatever to measure the memory / load (unless you're talking about 'live' statistics).

• @kaktus69 said:
    Not a bad idea as such but it would just be a snapshot of the moment in time that you ran the benchmark or whatever to measure the memory / load (unless you're talking about 'live' statistics).

And about live statistics?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Do you mean something like https://github.com/firehol/netdata ?

• I think yes. Always transparent, if you are a good host and manage your systems well what do you have to be afraid of

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
  • pikepike Veteran

It's a good idea but I guess most people will not take that serious, since someone could fake that.

• @manoaratefy said:

@kaktus69 said:

And about live statistics?

I would say yes with the caveat that simple figures don't always tell the whole story.

For example, the load on my shared web host is regularly between 10-30(*) but I haven't noticed any performance problems.

(*) Monitored by https://github.com/Munzy/ServerStatus

ps Thanks @AlyssaD

• imokimok Member

@pike said:
    It's a good idea but I guess most people will not take that serious, since someone could fake that.

Everything can be faked. Or you can have "5 minute real time monitoring"

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I'm of the opinion of "why not"? Good or bad, clients want to know.

http://drgn.biz/servers

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • It is a good idea only if you are not overselling VPS.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Honesty and transparency will always be appreciated in this market.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

@try4lontalk said:
    It is a good idea only if you are not overselling VPS.

And if you are it's a better idea to hide it from your clients? Overselling is good for clients and providers. The only time overselling is bad is when the provider has no clue what they are doing.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

I thought it was a good idea until many people started opening tickets asking to be put on servers with 95% free memory instead of the one with 40% free memory. Same for CPU, load. Maybe it works for some, but if you actually try to fill your servers it might become a headache. If you have servers that are mostly empty it looks great.

I think @KuJoe 's is good, because it is a tooltip with percentages, but when people see graphs it's kind of a different story.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • It's a great idea. People DDoSing you can see their impact, with nice web gui statistics.

• @Janevski said:
    It's a great idea. People DDoSing you can see their impact, with nice web gui statistics.

Not if the ddos takes down the gui as well.