Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Build your server offline monitor device under $7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Build your server offline monitor device under $7

jetchiragjetchirag Member
edited June 2018 in General

As I said on my previous post, this is a small tutorial on creating a device (beeper) which can alert you on server/website downtime.

Requirement:

• Nodemcu
  • Wires/jumper cables
  • Piezo buzzer

I wanted to add more components like LCD and buzzer amplifier but I cannot find those things around me and it's night. I'll update the tutorial when I can.

Connect the D2 pin to positive of buzzer and Ground to negative.

And upload this:

https://github.com/jetchirag/monitorWebhooks/blob/master/P2.ino

And host this somewhere

https://github.com/jetchirag/monitorWebhooks/blob/master/P2.php

Roadmap:

• Add a silence button
  • Use a Esp-01 instead
  • LCD with more information like Server detail
  • RTC module to control buzzer according to time
  • Build an enclosing for it

P.S. This is a very simple project but was fun to do. I'm still learning electronics so would hopefully be able to create a fairly useful one soon.

P.S.S. There is a lot of logging to serial in code as it's a modified script of examples. I haven't removed them since it's still uncomplete.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Preparing for the apocalypse, eh.

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • Sounds very interesting! Does this work for Website Changes etc. too?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Good job mate! Well done :)

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • @Jennis said:
    Sounds very interesting! Does this work for Website Changes etc. too?

This uses hetrixtools for monitoring. You can use their keyword functionality to check for website changes and it'd work fine with this setup.

• @Ympker said:
    Good job mate! Well done :)

Thanks, once it's finished, gonna combine it with IFTTT and whatnot

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jetchirag This looks very nice! Thank you for sharing.

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Kudos for not doing the up/down detection on the device, that would be terrible. These things are not that reliable in terms of WiFi stability.

jetchirag said: LCD with more information like Server detail

I recommend using a LCD with an I2C backpack and LiquidCrystal_I2C library. Probably the best and easiest way of doing this. You can get a 16x2 character I2C LCD on eBay for like $4 a piece.

jetchirag said: buzzer amplifier

The only way to amplify the buzzer is to drive it with a higher voltage, and, assuming you use the "typical Arduino" one, the maximum is 5V. You are now driving it with 3.3V from the ESP.
    What you could do is use a single NPN transistor (e.g. BC547, 2N2222) and a 220R - 1k base resistor and drive the buzzer from 5V.

• @FHR I think that it would be easier for jetchirag to use a low voltage relay. (no need for an extra resistor)

@doghouch said:
    @FHR I think that it would be easier for jetchirag to use a low voltage relay. (no need for an extra resistor)

Relays are more expensive. Also, the circuit would get needlessly complicated:

• As relays are electromagnetic devices, you need an anti-parallel silicon diode with the coil to prevent "back EMF" – huge voltage spikes caused by connecting and disconnecting an inductor (relay coil in this case) to power, which could damage the chip.
    • Relays draw quite a bit of power and ESP is able to to supply/sink only 12mA on I/O pins. You need a transistor anyway.
  • @FHR said:

@doghouch said:
    @FHR I think that it would be easier for jetchirag to use a low voltage relay. (no need for an extra resistor)

Relays are more expensive. Also, the circuit would get needlessly complicated:

• As relays are electromagnetic devices, you need an anti-parallel silicon diode with the coil to prevent "back EMF" – huge voltage spikes caused by connecting and disconnecting an inductor (relay coil in this case) to power, which could damage the chip.
    • Relays draw quite a bit of power and ESP is able to to supply/sink only 12mA on I/O pins. You need a transistor anyway.

Well, didn’t know it only supplied 12 mA. Transistors are the way to go then! :]

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited June 2018

@FHR said:
    Kudos for not doing the up/down detection on the device, that would be terrible. These things are not that reliable in terms of WiFi stability.

jetchirag said: LCD with more information like Server detail

I recommend using a LCD with an I2C backpack and LiquidCrystal_I2C library. Probably the best and easiest way of doing this. You can get a 16x2 character I2C LCD on eBay for like $4 a piece.

Yes, I'll be using I2C, I already have lcd and that's the reason I've not used it. I'm waiting for few more complements.

jetchirag said: buzzer amplifier

The only way to amplify the buzzer is to drive it with a higher voltage, and, assuming you use the "typical Arduino" one, the maximum is 5V. You are now driving it with 3.3V from the ESP.
    What you could do is use a single NPN transistor (e.g. BC547, 2N2222) and a 220R - 1k base resistor and drive the buzzer from 5V.

Yea, used the wrong word I guess. It's a lot louder with this.

Also, the buzzer I'm using has this component built in.

Just need an I2C now.

Edit: Adding one more item to todos.

Will be creating some specific tones. For example, for offline notification, beep for 200ms and sleep for 200ms.

• Shameless self-necro!

I'm really confused between make it wall mounted or to be kept on desktop. I've switched to nano/uno/mega with esp-01 instead nodemcu with a screen

I'm unable to decide between

• 128x64 screen - Will use if kept on desk
    • One of those nokia - still same
    • A big tft screen - if kept on wall

I'll have to find a work around with tft for esp-01, IR as it'd take all of pins, atleast the one I have. I just might remove screen but I'm really interested in it as it'd me personal IoT notification system as I'm going to use it for backups/monitors/(calendar if TFT screen).

So, what's your advice?

@jetchirag said:
    Shameless self-necro!

I'm really confused between make it wall mounted or to be kept on desktop. I've switched to nano/uno/mega with esp-01 instead nodemcu with a screen

I'm unable to decide between

• 128x64 screen - Will use if kept on desk
    • One of those nokia - still same
    • A big tft screen - if kept on wall

I'll have to find a work around with tft for esp-01, IR as it'd take all of pins, atleast the one I have. I just might remove screen but I'm really interested in it as it'd me personal IoT notification system as I'm going to use it for backups/monitors/(calendar if TFT screen).

So, what's your advice?

Many models are available, which TFT display exactly are you looking at? It might be possible to drive it from another microcontroller (Arduino Micro?) and send data to it via I2C.

Also, we want pictures! :)

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited June 2018

FHR said: Many models are available, which TFT display exactly are you looking at? It might be possible to drive it from another microcontroller (Arduino Micro?) and send data to it via I2C.

Also, we want pictures! :)

Sounds exactly what I was looking for. I'll see if I can get uno/mega working with nano/nodemcu

Pictures are must, will upload them after I get a nice enclosing :)

Thankkks ;*