Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm open-sourcing this web-based control panel.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm open-sourcing this web-based control panel.

subigosubigo Member
edited February 2012 in General

BoxCtrl-SE. There were quite a few people using this a few years ago when I offered it on the old LEB forums. Since then, it's been completely rewritten. I'm open-sourcing this new version as soon as I get around to cleaning up the code a bit. I figured some of you might like it, since it only uses about 10MB of RAM and it'll be pretty easy to customize (because the code is really simple). Anyway, here's a demo of what to expect:

http://173.208.221.200:2010
login: admin
pass: boxctrlpass

Comments

• I like it a LOT. Setup a website/forums for it... Also a donate system. If you release it I'll donate and create a openvz package on our VPS system for users to use your script. Especially if it's only 10 MB of RAM.

• gianggiang Veteran
    edited February 2012

Hi,

Does it support nginx? :D I really like this script but I'm using nginx only :(

• @DotVPS

Yeah, I'll continue to work on it after I open it up. However, I'll be keeping the minimalist philosophy of it.

@BlueVM

I actually have quite a few openvz templates for it. I might release one of those as well. I don't need donations or anything, but I'll consider a forum for semi-support.

In the interest of full disclosure, I run zensix.com and most of my VPS clients use this. The reason I'm opening it up, is because I'm trying to cut back on VPS hosting to focus on shared hosting and some admin work for a few companies. Since my clients know this, they've been asking for the code in case they move on to another VPS host.

• @giang said: Does it support nginx? :D I really like this script but I'm using nginx only :(

Once I open it up, it will be pretty simple to change the code to support Nginx instead of Apache. Assuming Nginx supports some sort of wildcard vhosts configuration. But even if it doesn't, it should be pretty simple to edit (I've obviously never really used Nginx for anything myself).

• Dude that thing is so pretty and simple and easy to understand and it doesn't act slow like SolusVM omg!

• Nice job. It's always good to see new open source projects.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited February 2012

Nice, I remember when you released it on V1 LeT.

Does your domain manager support www. automatically? I remember v1 you had to add it to the config manually.

Also wheres that design from.

• That's just beautiful. I'd love to see it open sourced just to learn from the code. Respect!

• Awesome news - I've missed boxctrl, great to see it's coming back.

• subigosubigo Member
    edited February 2012

@Daniel said: Nice, I remember when you released it on V1 LeT.

Does your domain manager support www. automatically? I remember v1 you had to add it to the config manually.

Also wheres that design from.

It still uses Apache wildcard vhosts, which means it simply reads folder names in /home/domains and serves them up. So a folder named "www.example.com" is going to be a different site from "example.com". I could probably add an option to automatically create and forward the "www" part if people really want it. I never added it because "www" is just another subdomain and it's kind of pointless to give it priority over another.

And I honestly don't remember where the design is from. I have hundreds of free and paid designs that I've collected over the years. It's most likely either from a gallery of free admin themes or themeforest.

edit: Found it. It's a themeforest theme from three years ago: http://themeforest.net/item/ninja-admin-/21190

• Nice, it's written in PHP right?
    Are you going to put it at GitHub or BitBucket?

• @Zero said: Nice, it's written in PHP right?

Are you going to put it at GitHub or BitBucket?

Yes, it's just php and a couple of simple bash scripts. I might stick it on GitHub, but I'll most likely just put it on boxctrl.com.

Thanked by 2fly Steve81
  • This looks so awesome.... like it a lot!!

• fanfan Veteran

Cool project! Hope it's available to try out soon. :P

• @fan said: Cool project! Hope it's available to try out soon. :P

The encoded version that my clients use is available right now: http://boxctrl.com/se-installation.html

It'll be 2-3 days until I release the source.

• It will be back soon. I'll be releasing it as an open-source project as well.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

This is actually one of the only control panels I like, although I'd take CL over a control panel any day.

• Very awesome CP, I look forward to offer a template with it

• bookmarked for later... hope more providers use this

• Very Nice Control Panel, reminds me a little of OpenPanel, but this looks more polished. Will this be optimized for shared hosting also?

• Very nice work, congratz on your release.

• @subigo said: I'm open-sourcing this new version as soon as I get around to cleaning up the code a bit.

It's a shame that I can thank your post only one time. :)

Thank you.

• very nice control panel... hope we will see this as a free well known cp in future :)

• innyainnya Member
    edited February 2012

I thought it only work with openvz.
    I used it last time and I liked it.

• @Jeffrey said: Will this be optimized for shared hosting also?

Not likely, since that would be a completely different kind of panel and a full-time job to develop. This was (and still is) something I give clients to help ease the transition from using a shared hosting panel (directadmin) to command line only.

@innya said: I thought it only work with openvz.

It will work with any CentOS install, assuming you edit a few lines in the installer file. In fact, it should work with any Linux distro, as long as you edit the installer to use things like apt, instead of yum.

• Great control panel, its simple and fast

• One of the simplest single user control panels i have seen. I like the File Thingie. Have used them in projects before. I am installing this for one my clients today. Let me see how.

• Very nice!

• I should have a forum up for support and the source released by the end of the weekend.