Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest enterprise / high core servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest enterprise / high core servers?

Seeking a box with lots of cores and ideally good single threaded performance. Intel preferred (and Ubuntu 14-16). Anyone know what some good providers are?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The cheapest way to do this is colo.

Grab cheap E5 ES CPUs off ebay, build a dual-socket rig, and colo at a dirt cheap rate.

Will pay itself off in a year or two.

Thanked by 1florianb
  • try E3 for good single threaded performance. There are few providers who offer high core box but if you want cheapest, then search for High Core, Low RAM server on google.

• ts001ts001 Member

I know the cheapest is colo but this is for a client and I don't want to bill to build the server (I'm a software developer not an IT guy). Also he wants scalability so he wants to be able to switch boxes easily, and colo won't allow that.

edited June 2018

I'd personally avoid clients that sounds too needy.

You can build a monster rig under a grand this way. If a client wants more than that, he will need to colo his own machine.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • ts001ts001 Member

I just don't want to build a server, I've never done it before. I don't know how the thing I build will scale horizontally either.

edited June 2018

How many cores are you looking for anyway?

We haven't given LET much to chew with. No budget, no location, no-nothing other than you want many cores & high whore (not typo) performance.

• ts001ts001 Member

16-20 cores or more. no specific budget.

And what ghz (speed) are you looking for per core?

• ts001ts001 Member

no specific requirement

• imokimok Member

Not sure about the single core performance, but how about this little IOFlood server?

Dual Intel L5639 CPUs, 72GB ram, 4x 3TB Hitachi HDDs, LSI 9271-4i hardware raid + cachevault BBU

https://manage.ioflood.com/order/?form_id=169

Thanked by 2Falzo ts001
  • ts001ts001 Member

Need it to be dedicated I believe

• imokimok Member

@ts001 said:
    Need it to be dedicated I believe

What?

I am starting to feel for his client.

• saibalsaibal Member

@ts001 said:
    no specific requirement

So what exactly are you building for your client?

• williewillie Member

Sounds like mining. Hard to do profitably these days. For raw cpu power multiple hetzner auction servers probably beats any E5 box, plus you get tons of disk space you can sell storage plans on.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Just saw cheap and enterprise in one sentence. I need more beer, I’m clearly seeing things.

• deank said: The cheapest way to do this is colo.

>

I did some search on colo but I didn't find any of them offers competitive price compare to rented one ! specially if I add extra line speed (above 4Mbit/s ) do you know any recommended colo hosting to start with .

• A good Enterprise server will start beyond $500/mo unmanaged.

• ts001ts001 Member

@Clouvider said:
    Just saw cheap and enterprise in one sentence. I need more beer, I’m clearly seeing things.

You are seeing things because it doesn't say "cheap." It says cheapest. As in most affordable.

• ts001ts001 Member

@saibal said:

@ts001 said:
    no specific requirement

So what exactly are you building for your client?

Something that I need to be able to scale horizontally (hence more cores > clock speed).

• ts001ts001 Member

@willie said:
    Sounds like mining. Hard to do profitably these days. For raw cpu power multiple hetzner auction servers probably beats any E5 box, plus you get tons of disk space you can sell storage plans on.

No mining at all, just very demanding computational stuff similar to deep learning.

• ts001ts001 Member
    edited June 2018

Unless anyone knows of better than this, this is probably what I'll be going with.

• This all depend on provider quality which you need,
    You can get same specs paying 1/3 of this.

Thanked by 1ts001
  • Indeed, also consider if you actually need unmetered :-) That is also a premium in the price calculation.

Thanked by 1ts001
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said: Just saw cheap and enterprise in one sentence. I need more beer, I’m clearly seeing things.

Technically the OP never said 'cheap'. He said 'cheapest', which is totally reasonable thing to look for among expensive things :-).

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

ts001 said: Unless anyone knows of better than this, this is probably what I'll be going with.

What are your other requirements? Like disk and RAM? If you have minimum disk/ram requirements, I can do better in Lithuania.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

We have some spare VPS nodes in Dallas if you are interested. Dual E5 2690v2 - 384 gb RAM - 1 gig Unmetered for 700 usd with 4x1 GB SSD or 1200 usd with 4x4 TB ssd

Thanked by 2inklight vimalware
  • williewillie Member

ts001 said: No mining at all, just very demanding computational stuff similar to deep learning.

You might want a GPU server then. If you get one, I'll be interested to know what you find. Hetzner EX51-GPU is out of stock and will probably be for a while. I'm using paperspace.com hourly instances which get expensive if you use them nonstop, but I just use a few hours a week so it's not too bad. They are cheaper than OVH public cloud gpu instances and their support is good. No idea at all if that route is of any interest but if it is, I can send you an aff code that gives you a $10 credit.

• ts001ts001 Member

We're not using a library that can utilize GPU cores unfortunately :(. I wish though, because it would solve a lot of problems for us. We're using vanilla Python at the moment and I'm not sure what it would require to put our calculations on the GPU as well, other than OpenCL. We have a mathematical algorithm that pounds the crap out of whatever thread it's running on and we have an instance of that algorithm for each concurrent user. Thus 150 concurrent users = 150 threads = 75 cores.

• ts001ts001 Member

@randvegeta said:

ts001 said: Unless anyone knows of better than this, this is probably what I'll be going with.

What are your other requirements? Like disk and RAM? If you have minimum disk/ram requirements, I can do better in Lithuania.

We're in the USA so I'm not sure this would work