Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SATA RAID10, SSD RAID1, SAS RAID10 or SAS RAID1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SATA RAID10, SSD RAID1, SAS RAID10 or SAS RAID1

birdie25birdie25 Member
edited February 2012 in General

I currently have my Minecraft server on an OVH SuperPlan 2011 SSD, with 2x 120GB SSD in (software) RAID1. It's got an i5 2400 in there, which is not bad, but is not the best either. I have been looking at an E3-1270, 16GB RAM and 4x 1TB RAID10 from dediserv.eu, which is, at 119 euro's a month, not much more to pay per month. They also gave me a quote for the same server, but with SAS RAID1 or SAS RAID10. Will I notice the difference on my Minecraft server if I change from 2x 120GB SSD to SATA RAID10? Or would you recommend SAS RAID1 or even SAS RAID10? There's usually between 40-50 players online.

Thanks

Comments

• What kind of read/write specs do you get on your current software SSD RAID?

• (1.1 GB) copied, 8.51086 s, 126 MB/s, but OVH's data sheet says around 260MB/s per drive.

• If you're not having any issues with 126 MB/s, then any of the options you've listed will suffice.

For what it's worth, here's the result on a 3x 1TB 7.2k SATA hardware RAID5 array: (1.1 GB) copied, 9.42845 seconds, 114 MB/s

• But the IOPS would matter right?

• Most (all?) hardware RAID controllers will cache i/o together and run them in "batches".

• So, if I understand this correctly, will RAID10 SATA be almost equal in R/W and IOPS to my SW RAID1 SSD's?

• @birdie25 said: So, if I understand this correctly, will RAID10 SATA be almost equal in R/W and IOPS to my SW RAID1 SSD's?

No.

• @birdie25 said: So, if I understand this correctly, will RAID10 SATA be almost equal in R/W and IOPS to my SW RAID1 SSD's?

No, the SSD in raid1 will outperform sata or sas in raid10

• Would SATA raid10 be a wise option then?

• @birdie25 said: Would SATA raid10 be a wise option then?

What controller? You could pick up 15k sas drives off ebay for $30 for small drives that are not in any demand but perfect for a minecraft server. Now if you are just using the onboard controller, yeah, sata is an option, but not a better option than ssd

• It is a separate controller, that I know for sure. I'm looking at Dediserv.eu @ Equinix.