Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100% uptime
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100% uptime

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

So what's up with those OpenVZ providers offering "100% uptime" services? They aren't even "cloud".

They never have to reboot a node, use infallible disks and a secret kernel which never, under any circumstance crashes? Do they have the capacity to mitigate 100 gbps of UDP? I honestly don't understand the logic behind all that marketing bluff.

Rather than attracting my attention, they do the opposite. I suppose it's the same as the "unlimited" industry and they are headed towards other public, but promising 100% uptime it's simply lying to the customer upfront.

Thanked by 1jimpop

Comments

• ReeceReece Member
    edited October 2013

Our network is happily boasting 100% Uptime each month we list 99.99% Minimum which gives us a little room for updates but with that we also provide updates on future reboots etc. Typically our Managed clients and small business clients are on a SLA so it's much more beneficial for them.

Definitely marking fluff from most people if their infrastructure isn't up to scratch.

100Gbps UDP? Yeah... I think no one would handle that lightly ;)

As a consumer you should take your time to find out what xyz is about before putting any big money on the table.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Reece to be honest, I really liked your approach when you launched and your company looked pretty serious to me.

But a 99.999% montly uptime guarantee (and you list 100% in your signature), doesn't even leave you room for a kernel upgrade. I don't know what servers are you using, but sure you can't upgrade the kernel and boot all the containers in under 26 seconds ;)

• @Nyr said:
    Reece to be honest, I really liked your approach when you launched and your company looked pretty serious to me.

But a 99.999% montly uptime guarantee (and you list 100% in your signature), doesn't even leave you room for a kernel upgrade. I don't know what servers are you using, but sure you can't upgrade the kernel and boot all the containers in under 26 seconds ;)

Ksplice

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2013

@Nyr 99.999% montly uptime guarantee doesn't mean you necessarily get 99.999% uptime every month. It means you get compensated if you get less than 99.999%
    And usually scheduled downtime (announced well in advance) is not counted towards this 99.999%

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@serverian said:
    Ksplice

Not really common among LEB providers.

@rds100 said:
    Nyr 99.999% montly uptime guarantee doesn't mean you necessarily get 99.999% uptime every month. It means you get compensated if you get less than 99.999%
    And usually scheduled downtime (announced well in advance) is not counted towards this 99.999%

One thing is the SLA and other advertising 100% uptime, without SLA.

• @Nyr but the 100% "uptime guarantee" means absolutely nothing without the SLA :) The important information is in the details of the SLA.

• @serverian said:
    Ksplice

+1 and + rOFL

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yeah I guess I see it a bit different.

I offer 99.9 not 99.99 or 99.999

What this means to me is if a problem is caused that was within the control of Inception Hosting and the result is that you don't get 99.9 you do not have to pay for your next month of service and on a few occasions about 60+ customers took me up on that when maintenance went beyond the schedule by more than an hour and I stood by it.

what I HATE is when a company boasts 100% or even 99% and when they fail to achieve that all you get is a sorry (if you are lucky) the DC/Host I was using in DE until recently boast 99.9% which they failed to meet once and they could have influenced the situation better and all I got was the standard "sorry" line.

To me it is something you put up only if you want to stand by it, otherwise frankly its a pointless semi truth.

I could say 100% uptime if I wanted but you are right it is silly and I could never honestly hold up to that without putting so many exclusions in place it would be pointless.

• In most terms of services, 100% uptime SLA excludes scheduled maintenance.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • So what's up with those OpenVZ providers offering "100% uptime" services?

openvz providers making the 100% uptime claim --> low end crackheads who worked as used car salesmen in a previous life

customers believing a 100% long term uptime record is possible --> people who still believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2013

There is no point having a uptime guarantee if there is no clearly outlined SLA. Even if such 100% or 99.9999% exists for a provider doing OVZ there is a chance a VM can lock up the node requiring a reboot or even with a small attack (1.1Gbps+) will cause downtime if you rely on one network port.

• Yeah, 100% Uptime is a crock.

• @Reece said:
    Our network is happily boasting 100% Uptime each month

All networks do . . . until they don't.

• @black said:
    In most terms of services, 100% uptime SLA excludes scheduled maintenance.

This.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2013

All about how you word it. A commitment to 100% uptime is a bare minimum for me. I don't want someone who sets their goals less than perfection. Things happen, I don't get mad, but don't aim for that. Never gonna hit the bullseye by aiming for the bushes.

• @jarland said:
    All about how you word it. A commitment to 100% uptime is a bare minimum for me. I don't want someone who sets their goals less than perfection. Things happen, I don't get mad, but don't aim for that. Never gonna hit the bullseye by aiming for the bushes.

Are you started reading different books or on new drugs? Your examples are great lately!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@serverian said:
    Are you started reading different books or on new drugs? Your examples are great lately!

I think I'm becoming more Texas.

• A commitment to 100% uptime is a bare minimum for me.
    I think I'm becoming more Texas.

I thought people in Texas put 200% effort into everything they do and here you're only promising 100%. Slacker.

Thanked by 1jar
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:
    Nyr but the 100% "uptime guarantee" means absolutely nothing without the SLA :) The important information is in the details of the SLA.

Exactly right. A 100% uptime SLA could mean 100% uptime except during the maintenance period of 2AM to 3AM or any scheduled maintenance announced a certain number of days in advance.

• It's sales / marketing speak for sure. I've heard of a dedicated provider (quite commonly known here) who advertises 100% power SLA on the basis that we'll replace it and pay you if it dies/stops (including the PSU).

So they are saying it's 100% unless there are problems.