Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decommissioning a really old setup and looking for options
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decommissioning a really old setup and looking for options

sobarbersobarber Member

I have a small setup on some legacy space where I had a lot of flexibility. I need to relocate the services (not necessarily the hardware).

Basically, there are two web servers and two DNS hosting servers. I have flexibility on the IP addressing of the web servers and one of the DNS hosting servers. However, the other one needs to keep the IP space (which is assigned to me by ARIN) so portability is not an concern.

However, all services I have found can't handle someone who brings their own IP space.

So, is there such a thing?

For the other three servers, I have worked with bare-metal providers and would be comfortable using a service like that, but I am also open to other options and would be interested in expert opinions on that as well.

Comments can be posted here, or you can mail me directly.

This is a serious request, so please only serious responses.

Comments

• mkshmksh Member

Yes, such providers exist. Not exactly my strong side sorry and the only one i can remember of the top of head is in europe but i am sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanked by 1sobarber
  • cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

If in the us and want to Colo your gear or something with bringing your own space talk to psychz networks I have my gear in dallas and use my own Arin assigned space as well as they provide space as well

• Thanks for the pointer to psychz. There pricing looks interesting. Does that pricing stay pretty stable?

edited June 2018

@sobarber said:
    Thanks for the pointer to psychz. There pricing looks interesting. Does that pricing stay pretty stable?

Yes it does I still pay the same amount each month I negotiated with them on a half rack cololocation with them announcing my Arin /24 ipv4 block and a /27 allocation from them
    I currently pay $174 my negotiated price that has stayed consistent each month.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

packet.net

Thanked by 1sobarber
  • For those providers making a pitch, please note that I signed up for this discussion because I am looking for low end solutions. I just have four services that are currently running on four systems I own. There were basic machines back when they were installed in 2011 or so, so they are not big on CPU, memory or disk space. They may need a technology refresh, but they don't need to made more capable to meet the need. They are sized properly for what they do.

@sobarber said:
    For those providers making a pitch, please note that I signed up for this discussion because I am looking for low end solutions. I just have four services that are currently running on four systems I own. There were basic machines back when they were installed in 2011 or so, so they are not big on CPU, memory or disk space. They may need a technology refresh, but they don't need to made more capable to meet the need. They are sized properly for what they do.

I currently have 4-5 servers in that half rack with psychz with a switch with it, so I am not big either like you are saying, and I am not even a representative of psychz, just a happy customer of psychz.

Psychz Representative here on let should be @PhotonVPS

Thanked by 1sobarber
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Have a look at http://bgp.services
    If you want low end solutions, Vultr is probably the cheapest.

• williewillie Member

If you have a legacy /24 it's probably worth a few K$, so if you're using just a few addresses you might consider your options.

• BruceBruce Member

in the last few years there's more and more providers who will do BGP. presumably as they have to stay competitive. so if you find a provider you like, ask them about BGP.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@sobarber said:
    I have a small setup on some legacy space where I had a lot of flexibility. I need to relocate the services (not necessarily the hardware).

Basically, there are two web servers and two DNS hosting servers. I have flexibility on the IP addressing of the web servers and one of the DNS hosting servers. However, the other one needs to keep the IP space (which is assigned to me by ARIN) so portability is not an concern.

However, all services I have found can't handle someone who brings their own IP space.

So, is there such a thing?

For the other three servers, I have worked with bare-metal providers and would be comfortable using a service like that, but I am also open to other options and would be interested in expert opinions on that as well.

Comments can be posted here, or you can mail me directly.

This is a serious request, so please only serious responses.

What are you specifications/requirements? We could announce your IP space under our ASN in both our London / Los Angeles location with any of our Cloud instances. Thanks!

• Bruce and FHR, I don't really need the BGP services, just the IP space announcement. Typically, I have found that adding it to an existing ASN announcement works just fine. Some companies want a formal authorization to do that. If that is required, I want it tied to fact hat I am buying services from that entity and automatically revokes should I choose to move elsewhere. I am hoping that would be SOP where it is required.

• sobarbersobarber Member
    edited June 2018

Willie, I worry about reputation issues with others using the space, so I have not considered that option. If there were some way to guarantee no negative reputation effect, then I would consider it.