Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ServerPilot pricing changes - no more free plan, per app pricing, no changes to existing customers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ServerPilot pricing changes - no more free plan, per app pricing, no changes to existing customers

ajh76ajh76 Member
edited June 2018 in General

Just got an email this afternoon about their pricing changes: https://serverpilot.io/blog/2018/06/08/pricing-changes.html

TL;DR:

• Changes effective July 10

• Free plan is removed

• Existing servers and apps are grandfathered in (including free plans)

• Economy plan: $5/server + $0.5/app - all of the features of the existing Coach plan except server stats

• Business plan: $10/server + $1/app - all Economy plan features plus server and app resource usage stats, log file viewing, and priority support. Application Performance Management (APM) removed

• First class plan: $20/server + $2/app - includes all of the features of Business plan, plus APM features with app performance and request data, slow script alerts, and high priority support.

Looks like a better overall value for most people that only has a 1 server with a few apps that don't need all the bells and whistles of Runcloud.io

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

o.m.g, free plan is gone.

The end must be nigh.

• jhjh Member

Techstars logo appearing in 3, 2, ...

Seriously though, the new pricing makes more sense than the old pricing.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Reminds me of "Smart bulbs turn dumb: Lights out for Philips as Hue API goes dark"

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/01/philips_hue_api_dark/

Would be interesting, to see a big company using this, I guess thats not happening, the point of failure would be huge.

• @ajh76 said:
    Just got an email this afternoon about their pricing changes: https://serverpilot.io/blog/2018/06/08/pricing-changes.html

TL;DR:

• Changes effective July 10

• Free plan is removed

• Existing servers and apps are grandfathered in (including free plans)

• Economy plan: $5/server + $0.5/app - all of the features of the existing Coach plan except server stats

• Business plan: $10/server + $1/app - all Economy plan features plus server and app resource usage stats, log file viewing, and priority support. Application Performance Management (APM) removed

• First class plan: $20/server + $2/app - includes all of the features of Business plan, plus APM features with app performance and request data, slow script alerts, and high priority support.

Looks like a better overall value for most people that only has a 1 server with a few apps that don't need all the bells and whistles of Runcloud.io

I saw that, and it was quite a surprise. I have ServerPilot and RunCloud. if you ask me, Runcloud is a lot more robust than serverpilot. And for $10 a month, you get all you can "eat" at runcloud.

• Runcloud still superior

Thanked by 1yakblack
  • zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited June 2018

Maybe someone can code a ServerPilot to RunCloud migration tool, I would pay for it.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Is super fair. Great service.

• moving myself from ServerPilot to RunCloud. Better features at RC.

• sarahsarah Member

Runcloud then?

• If ServerPilot offered same pricing as RunCloud, i would consider using them. But RunCloud offers an All-In-One solution for only $10/month. Hard to beat

• @Gravely said:
    If ServerPilot offered same pricing as RunCloud, i would consider using them. But RunCloud offers an All-In-One solution for only $10/month. Hard to beat

If serverpilot cost $10 and runcloud cost $15, I'll still go with runclound. firewall configuration, app management and a lot more features at runclound.

• zerofillzerofill Member
    edited June 2018

They have lost their minds in my opinion. Look at what Runcloud has in their control panel. They charge $10 for unlimited servers, with unlimited apps (domains/subdomains).

ServerPilot is switching to $5 plan with $0.50 per app, and $10 plan plus $1 per app.

It is a control panel. They aren't providing server support, or phone tech support here.

Runcloud is about to get a heck of a big influx of new accounts. I am writing a migration tool to migrate servers, because I plan to migrate all of ours.

• @zerofill said:
    They have lost their minds in my opinion. Look at what Runcloud has in their control panel. They charge $10 for unlimited servers, with unlimited apps (domains/subdomains).

ServerPilot is switching to $5 plan with $0.50 per app, and $10 plan plus $1 per app.

It is a control panel. They aren't providing server support, or phone tech support here.

Runcloud is about to get a heck of a big influx of new accounts. I am writing a migration tool to migrate servers, because I plan to migrate all of ours.

Id happily pay for it :)

• 5$ per month is acceptable but +0.5 per app is insane

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

Can someone explain to me the attraction of these two apps?

It's basically just a control panel that deploy apps instead of going through cPanel -> Softaculous -> Install ?

Is basically just webuzo by softaculous right?

• @jjrich1977 said:
    5$ per month is acceptable but +0.5 per app is insane

$5 is per server, per month. Considering Runclound's offer is more like the $20 per server plan on serverpilot ( without the slow script and few other irrelevant things) that means I'll have to pay around $280 just for the 14 servers I have on Runcloud now. Then, add $2 per app.

Even if serverpilot charge $2 per server I'll still end up paying more and get less than on RunCloud.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@DanSummer, is runcloud really that reliable? I have been using serverpilot for a while, super solid.

• @Hxxx said:
    @DanSummer, is runcloud really that reliable? I have been using serverpilot for a while, super solid.

Oh yes, it is! Beside 2FA login to their site itself and one or two other things, I think it's a wonderful system. support tickets are usually answered within 15-30 minutes. Creating and managing app/sites or firewall is a lot easier on Runclound than or Serverpilot.

Having said that, I still have 3 servers in my serverpilot account that I've been too lazy to move over.

• @lonea said:
    Can someone explain to me the attraction of these two apps?

It's basically just a control panel that deploy apps instead of going through cPanel -> Softaculous -> Install ?

Is basically just webuzo by softaculous right?

For us, the attraction is all about the APIs. Because our application builds wordpress based sites, in a massive scalable way. It relies heavily on APIs. Because it creates CF accounts as well. So when a user adds their domain, it creates the DNS records via API, it creates the SP user, SP app, the SP database, etc... and builds the site.... and a lot of other things. So that is why we use it. We could roll our own, but there is enough time spent on everything as it is.

There pricing plan, may suite a normal user running a couple websites, but it doesn't work for us.

cPanel, is a bloated hunk of ________. We haven't used that for years.

ServerPilot messed up... that is the problem. These types of setups, are not designed for normal people hosting a website. cPanel is made for John Doe to go out and host his website.

Apparently, they thought they were making this for average people. But a setup like this, is made for business owners in tech companies, or people who work in the IT department somewhere.

He didn't position it right obviously... So now he is making an error by not positioning it right again.

Let's face it... a lot of us talking about this can more then likely make our own SP/Runcloud... it isn't really that hard. But, it is time consuming... so you don't want to spend that time doing that.

But, it is a glorified control panel, with an API. You aren't getting phone support, or actual server admins that manage your servers. Yet, SP is going to charge like you are.

We probably have more servers linked to SP then 90% of their customers. They are making a huge mistake. Our costs would increase 1000% with what they are doing. When you make that type of change, your service isn't good enough to make people like us, eat those costs. We would have to be as dumb as the people who made the pricing change decision lol.

There is no way they can survive, if they go through with this price change. They are kidding themselves... If they ever wanted to sell the company, they just hurt their value as well. Even if they decided to nuke the price change, they already damaged their credibility with the customer base.

Looking at Runcloud, they are already way ahead of them in this niche. So unless ServerPilot finds some way to save face now, R.I.P...

• @Gravely said:

@zerofill said:

Id happily pay for it :)

More then likely it will just be an internal tool. Mainly because we have all the data to make the migration easier, in the database of our application. Without having all of that, it becomes a lot more tedious.

• @jjrich1977 said:

Or when you use the $10 a month one, and pay $1 per app... it becomes more insane lol.

• sarahsarah Member

@zerofill said:
    There is no way they can survive, if they go through with this price change. They are kidding themselves... If they ever wanted to sell the company, they just hurt their value as well. Even if they decided to nuke the price change, they already damaged their credibility with the customer base.

It could also be that they are trying to get rid of the customers who have installed 1000s of apps (as they say in the blog post) but just pay them 10$/month. In their case it seems this will be like 500$/month. Is that really that expensive and what's a reasonable price in your opinion?

• HxxxHxxx Member

Who was here first, SP or RC?

• @sarah said:

@zerofill said:

It could also be that they are trying to get rid of the customers who have installed 1000s of apps (as they say in the blog post) but just pay them 10$/month. In their case it seems this will be like 500$/month. Is that really that expensive and what's a reasonable price in your opinion?

Per server price is what is reasonable... especially for those doing everything via API, and not using their control panel. Per app is completely stupid, unless they have some seriously under optimized code.

When you know what it does, you realize the new pricing is insane.

What they really want to do is get rid of the freebie plan, if they are having issues. Try and convert them to paying. The problem is, they had the freebie plan, and the only thing it didn't offer was Let's Encrypt SSL certs, and more then one user account on the server. The Let's Encrypt, was easy for people to add themselves. Which because of the nature of the service, that was obviously not going to convert many of the "target Audience" to paid, since they are already tech savy.

You are making it sound like you can't blame them for getting rid of people with 1000s of apps on a paid plan. They don't host these sites... They don't manage these servers...

They have an agent app, that receives API calls to create a user, add a domain, etc... Other then that... and storing server IDs, and app IDs in a big MongoDB or whatever... not a whole lot going on there to warrant $1 per app.

• zerofillzerofill Member
    edited June 2018

@Hxxx said:

SP... but control panels have been around in one form or another for hosting since the beginning of hosting itself hehe.

Although I was told that RC was around longer under a different name or something... so I will have to look into that.

• @zerofill said:

@Hxxx said:

SP... but control panels have been around in one form or another for hosting since the beginning of hosting itself hehe.

Although I was told that RC was around longer under a different name or something... so I will have to look into that.

SP for sure! RunCloud came out about 2 years ago I believe.

• @zerofill said:

@jjrich1977 said:

Or when you use the $10 a month one, and pay $1 per app... it becomes more insane lol.

I think RunCloud is more like the $20 a month package on ServerPilot.

• LimpanLimpan Member
    edited June 2018

RunCloud just changed their pricing. Guess it's an answer to Serverpilots change.
    Pro accounts that earlier cost $10 is now 50% more expensive:

https://runcloud.io/pricing.html

Edit: Just saw the other RunCloud thread now, sorry for bumping this one.

• @Limpan said:
    RunCloud just changed their pricing. Guess it's an answer to Serverpilots change.
    Pro accounts that earlier cost $10 is now 50% more expensive:

https://runcloud.io/pricing.html

Edit: Just saw the other RunCloud thread now, sorry for bumping this one.

Yeah but $45 a month or $450 /yr for unlimited servers/apps is still a million times better then SP.