Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices - Page 25
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices

Comments

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2018

@TheLinuxBug
    As it happens, I have been adding to the IRC but not having a clue about whether anyone is around (you and @KotCzarny have/had a green status circle) or whether you get any notifies, made me ask here.

• @AlwaysSkint: you can compile vanilla 4.9.119 using config file provided, also, i'm back from vacations (again).

• *vanilla 4.9.119 modules

Thanked by 1peu_importe
  • I'll pop back on IRC later but could you confirm if luks is working on the "hacked" kernel?

• ipset now working thanks to @KotCzarny

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2018

@dahartigan said:
    I'll pop back on IRC later but could you confirm if luks is working on the "hacked" kernel?

Managed to create a LUKS logical volume:
    /dev/mapper/luks 49G 53M 47G 1% /luks

No complaints from cryptsetup but Cloudflare is preventing me posting the steps that I used.

• Thanks for that! I renewed a spare sys arm to test this on

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2018

@dahartigan said:
    I'll pop back on IRC later but could you confirm if luks is working on the "hacked" kernel?

Actually, one better, we confirmed an increase in performance when using the built-in cryptodev modules with luks encryption:

KotCzarny> using aes256-cbc reaches 50M/s

KotCzarny> in luks

KotCzarny> compared to ~32M/s in xts(software)

KotCzarny> (both write), for read it's 61M/s for cbc(hw) and 45M/s xts(soft)

KotCzarny> leaves ~50% of one cpu idle

We already have the module built and we have also been testing trying to get openssh to work with it. We have compiled openssl without any issue but haven't gotten openssh to utilize it correctly to gain the speed improvements we would expect.

By the way, anyone who would like to donate to help repay the dev time invested in this work, you can donate on Paypal at https://h3droid.com/donate and all of the donations go directly to the developer @KotCzarny, who has been working on this, not me.

@wokenwoll @OVH_Matt maybe OVH would be kind enough to donate something as well? If you guys can donate $50-$100 it would help us to have the time to fully test and perfect the cryptodev stuff with a recent kernel. It will also help us to have the time to test and get released all our work to Github, including a script which will allow the end user to rebuild the kernel and needed modules them selves.

Anyone who would like to test our work can visit #sysarm on FreeNode and as we are available, we can provide you access to the current work in progress.

Cheers!

• Thanks for the collective efforts !
    I will donate

Maybe someone with a twitter account should msg @olesovhcom about the poor state of support of their arm servers ...

Could you post the config files and instructions in a more permanent medium than IRC ?

• once we decide to get it out for general audience we will put everything on https://github.com/kotc/ovhnas
    (so far it's only initial placeholder)

edited August 2018

@peu_importe said:
    Thanks for the collective efforts !
    I will donate

Maybe someone with a twitter account should msg @olesovhcom about the poor state of support of their arm servers ...

Could you post the config files and instructions in a more permanent medium than IRC ?

TheLinuxBug said: @wokenwoll @OVH_Matt maybe OVH would be kind enough to donate something as well? If you guys can donate $50-$100 it would help us to have the time to fully test and perfect the cryptodev stuff with a recent kernel. It will also help us to have the time to test and get released all our work to Github, including a script which will allow the end user to rebuild the kernel and needed modules them selves.

Funding / time providing, as mentioned in my last reply, we would like to do all of the above. If there is enough funding we may even make a website for it with documentation of how things can be used. However, if funding doesn't appear then we will likely just rough up some scripts / binaries and dump them on Github and let you guys make what you can of it. The community here will be the the one to dictate how much more time we spend on this. So if it is important to you, I would suggest you donate some :)

As far as testing for now, until we know the kernel is stable and doesn't have odd bugs we are not quite ready to just give it out openly. This is why we have been testing in a closed format on IRC and providing those who actually have time to test and give feedback access. Once we feel things are stable then we will release it more publicly, for sure. Until then, you are always welcome to come on IRC and participate in the testing.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1feezioxiii
  • peu_importepeu_importe Member
    edited August 2018

Donation completed

Again, i don't have much time, but i can lend 2 empty servers for those willing to test but not wanting to risk their own data.

Thanks

• 4.9.123 has been compiled and available for testing (with enabled taskset i/o to make iotop working)

• ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Host Rep

@citrix said:
    i see SoyouStart now has servers in .DE as well :)

_New Essential server regions
    Discover our new Dedicated Servers
    From £35.99 ex. VAT/month (or £43.19 incl. VAT) _

... also a note says soon UK

https://www.soyoustart.com/en/essential-servers/

Early september in UK :)

• How to get this on my server ?

@KotCzarny said:
    4.9.123 has been compiled and available for testing (with enabled taskset i/o to make iotop working)

• join irc and ask. you can use http://webchat.freenode.net/ or any client, then join #sysarm

• 4.9.123 working perfectly, using luks with hwcrypto, iotop working perfectly, no network performance issues :)

Guys, get on IRC and join in.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • Would be better if you can use discord?

edited August 2018

@AmitX said:
    Would be better if you can use discord?

If you feel this way, then testing things may not be for you and it may be better to wait until we release it publicly.

Yes, using IRC takes a small amount of skills to actually use, we are using this as the gauge to see if those who are asking will actually be able to test things without a bunch of hand holding (believe it or not, so far it's worked well). If you don't think you are able to get on IRC (or can't be bothered to) then you may just want to wait till we finally release things and try it out then.

This is not meant to be in any way offensive, but at the same time we are donating our time and don't really have time to walk people through the technical steps needed to do this. Most people whom are able to figure out IRC seem to also be able to handle replacing a kernel without much extra instruction and this is the type of people we really need helping right now.

I would still invite you to come to IRC if you are able and wanting to test, but please understand we won't be changing communication mediums or be able to walk you step-by-step through how to set this up.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    TheLinuxBug said: @wokenwoll @OVH_Matt maybe OVH would be kind enough to donate something as well? If you guys can donate $50-$100 it would help us to have the time to fully test and perfect the cryptodev stuff with a recent kernel. It will also help us to have the time to test and get released all our work to Github, including a script which will allow the end user to rebuild the kernel and needed modules them selves.

I checked and donations are quite hard to handle (too many administratives tasks :smiley: ). if @KotCzarny you are interested by 1 x SyS server let me know (whatever the model, but in stock)

Thanked by 2Dustlab dahartigan
  • @wokenwoll
    My server is stuck during reinstall, for hours. I do hope my Ticket doesn't disappear into the ether. ;)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2018

TheLinuxBug said: @AmitX said:
    Would be better if you can use discord?

If you feel this way, then testing things may not be for you

Ahahaha rekt.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • IRC >> Discord and other childish messy stuff

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @TheLinuxBug said:
    If you feel this way, then testing things may not be for you

@Shot2 said:
    IRC >> Discord and other childish messy stuff

That's discrimination of millennials! I'm triggered and traumatized!
    LET needs a code of conduct to prevent such toxic masculine structural violence!
    There's a lot to learn from FreeBSD, google and Mozilla :D

On topic all I can say is: THANK YOU GUYS! Meritocracy got the job done again!

(No offense, AmitX! Nothing personal!)

• Looking for a 2tb arm. If anyone has one idling

• has anyone been able to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on their arm?
    What's the step to do that?

• @DanSummer said:
    has anyone been able to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on their arm?

Install Ubuntu 16.04. (Optional: Install the not-shitty kernel.) Do-release-upgrade.

• @ninzo59 said:

@citrix said:
    i see SoyouStart now has servers in .DE as well :)

_New Essential server regions
    Discover our new Dedicated Servers
    From £35.99 ex. VAT/month (or £43.19 incl. VAT) _

... also a note says soon UK

https://www.soyoustart.com/en/essential-servers/

Early september in UK :)

Wahoooo.... Will have to get one of these UK ones :smile:

• peu_importepeu_importe Member
    edited August 2018

@Shot2 said:

@DanSummer said:

Install Ubuntu 16.04. (Optional: Install the not-shitty kernel.) Do-release-upgrade.

i tried that route but after "do-release-upgrade" i got problem with broken apt system.
    unable to find some package to install
    tried to check /etc/apt/source.list but no positive results
    i reinstalled in 16.04 LTS
    YMMV

• @peu_importe said:

@Shot2 said:

@DanSummer said:

i tried that route but after "do-release-upgrade" i got problem with broken apt system.
    unable to find some package to install
    tried to check /etc/apt/source.list but no positive results
    i reinstalled in 16.04 LTS
    YMMV

Yeah, same thing with me.
    I kept reinstalling 16.04 lts, then, on the 5th reinstall I was able to upgrade.
    Do this: reinstall 16.04, then once you login,
    cd /boot
    rm -rf *
    reboot the server (thanks to @Harambe).

Then try to upgrade.