Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A headsup for Chromecast users
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A headsup for Chromecast users

Get an ethernet adapter for it!

Enhanced my streaming by a lot. My wifi acctually still has good signal where the chromecast is located and reaches up to 25 mbit/s but lags during streaming sometimes when action scenes happen. Now if I would stream on my laptop with the same wifi it wouldn't lag but I guess Chromecast is just a bit less performing in that way. Thus I googled a bit and found out that there actually exists an ethernet adapter for chromecast. Ordered it and never looked back! No lags anymore, ofc you still remotr control Chromecast via phone on your WiFi but the Chromecast itself uses LAN which makes for lagfree streaming :)

Thanked by 2KuJoe PUSHR_Victor

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2018

Ympker said: Get an ethernet adapter for it!

It's... ok, but it should not be needed. We have Asus routers (2 per location as mesh) and i have no 4k 120Mbit issues through a wall at 5Ghz - distance to chromecast 10m with brick wall. The bathroom has like 40m and 3 walls and does 1080p 40 or so still.

Another flat has a bathroom and total of 3 walls (1 brick, 2 yugoslav steel concrete), even that runs on 5Ghz and does 1080p 25Mbit.

Generally if your wifi cannot deliver 25Mbit in a range it still has any signal something is wrong with your router, you have not enough MIMO capability or overcrowded channels/similar.

Obviously Chromecasts and other devices should be ran on 2.4 if you have a massive house; this will not do 120Mbit on the 4k in most cases but is fine for easily 50Mbit. 5Ghz is line of sight, ideally.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@William said:

It's... ok, but it should not be needed. We have Asus routers (2 per location as mesh) and i have no 4k 120Mbit issues through a wall at 5Ghz - distance to chromecast 10m with brick wall. The bathroom has like 40m and 3 walls and does 1080p 40 or so still.

Another flat has a bathroom and total of 3 walls (1 brick, 2 yugoslav steel concrete), even that runs on 5Ghz and does 1080p 25Mbit.

Generally if your wifi cannot deliver 25Mbit in a range it still has any signal something is wrong with your router, you have not enough MIMO capability or overcrowded channels/similar.

Obviously Chromecasts and other devices should be ran on 2.4 if you have a massive house; this will not do 120Mbit on the 4k in most cases but is fine for easily 50Mbit. 5Ghz is line of sight, ideally.

Ive got an RT AC51U from Asus and my chromecast is on second floor, router is in the basement. Phone still measures 20+ mbits in my room where chromecast is located but streams sometimes lag.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

That completely defeat the purpose of having a chromecast...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I find that its usually a heat issue on mine during extended use.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@lonea said:

It really doesn’t.

Thanked by 2Clouvider SSDBlaze
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@lonea said:

Why would it? Chromecast is (imho) first and foremost meant to easily remote control Chromecast using your phone not having to type in your searches (when browsing movies) with some actual TV remote (typing on phone is way faster) while still being able to use your phone for WhatsApp.

Ive got ethernet adapters from TP link which are plugged in the wall which function as additional LAN ports in the house so I just connect Chromecast to them via the adapter.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Roku Ultra with gigabit ethernet. I love it.

Thanked by 2Ympker raindog308

May as well just connect it to a HTPC and a wireless keyboard and browser on your TV...

It's 2018, wireless is key.

Dongle on a dongle is not a solution...

@Nekki said:

@lonea said:

It really doesn’t.
    @Ympker said:

@lonea said:

Why would it? Chromecast is (imho) first and foremost meant to easily remote control Chromecast using your phone not having to type in your searches (when browsing movies) with some actual TV remote (typing on phone is way faster) while still being able to use your phone for WhatsApp.

Ive got ethernet adapters from TP link which are plugged in the wall which function as additional LAN ports in the house so I just connect Chromecast to them via the adapter.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@lonea said:
    May as well just connect it to a HTPC and a wireless keyboard and browser on your TV...

It's 2018, wireless is key.

Dongle on a dongle is not a solution...

@Nekki said:

@lonea said:

It really doesn’t.
    @Ympker said:

@lonea said:

I for one wouldn't prefer a wireless keyboard to my phone.

@MikeA wasn't available in Germany for a while I think or still isn't?! :P

Right, because it's 2018.

Your headsup is completely a 2003 solution.

Ympker said: I for one wouldn't prefer a wireless keyboard to my phone.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

Anything that streams high def on a tv is times better wired than wireless. Those who don’t believe should try it out.

Thanked by 2Aidan Ympker
  • AidanAidan Member

Anything that streams high def on a tv is times better wired than wireless. Those who don’t believe should try it out.

100%, especially if there are a couple of people in the home.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Upgraded from a 1st gen Chromecast to a Chromecast Ultra recently. Fixed the issues I was having with lag during action scenes and just in general it loads quicker.

5Ghz AP in same room & it performs fine.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2018

lonea said: May as well just connect it to a HTPC and a wireless keyboard and browser on your TV...

We tried.

We tried custom, we tried purchased, we tried things for airports and train stations. Digital signage (which this is, even if used for monitoring instead of ads or infos) is complex.

These SCALE and are stable, but they do not offer simple functionality i can use from inside an App without further modifications of said app - Sure, you can clone the Chromecast protocol for your "HTPC", but then you just got a damn more expensive CC 4k (with probably less features, as no netflix 4k).

• I'm liking Rokus at the moment, one of mine seemed to struggle once it gets above 12Mbit 1080p but then again that's an express (so the cheapest one) and the AP is several rooms away on 2.4ghz.

• If you use the adapter how can you make sure the Chormecast device is actually using it and not still using the wifi?

I always had the same problem with Sonos Connects - there is an ethernet in and out but no "off" button for the wifi so how do we know WTF is going on exactly when we use a wired connection?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@sidewinder said:
    If you use the adapter how can you make sure the Chormecast device is actually using it and not still using the wifi?

I always had the same problem with Sonos Connects - there is an ethernet in and out but no "off" button for the wifi so how do we know WTF is going on exactly when we use a wired connection?

Acctually there is two ways to indicate the ethernet connection for Chromecast:

1) The ethernet adapter has a light that starts blinking once successfully connected to a device.

2) Asus Router

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@lonea said:
    Right, because it's 2018.

Your headsup is completely a 2003 solution.

Ympker said: I for one wouldn't prefer a wireless keyboard to my phone.

Of course. Especially that Chromecast itself was not around until 2013

• Thanks for the info - which adapter did you end up using? The only other drawback i can see is you need yet another power source

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@sidewinder said:
    Thanks for the info - which adapter did you end up using? The only other drawback i can see is you need yet another power source

No.
    It uses the same power source as your chromecast. You plug it in your chromecast power adapter (usb).

Used the one from UGREEN 17$
    https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-Adapter-All-new-Chromecast/dp/B01N1X28F1?keywords=chromecast+ethernet&qid=1529438728&sr=8-1-spons&ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa&psc=1

Thanked by 1sidewinder
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

dragon2611 said: I'm liking Rokus at the moment,

I'm a Roku guy as well.

Particularly since they came out with one that supports the old RCA 3-plug, which instantly made multiple old TVs in my house streamably useful.

Chromecast? Fuck Chromecast, you overprivileged HDMI elitist bastards.

It does amuse me that all the "I use a hand-compiled version of the Konquerer browser and not chrome because Google is watching!" types are thrilled with their chromecasts...