Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to add my own company name to IP address as a reseller
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to add my own company name to IP address as a reseller

I provide shared hosting on OVH VPS as a reseller. I own the VPS and whenever someone searches for my domain on who is hosting this then it shows OVH. I want my own company name to be shown. How can I do that?

Comments

• I have seen many resellers have done this. For example Bingloft sells on Colocrossing https://hostadvice.com/tools/whois/#bingloft.com

• LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

You're probably looking for your hosting provider to SWIP your IP ranges, although I'm not sure if OVH offers this.

Even though the provider SWIP's the IP ranges, it's still very possible that different databases will show different information. The only true way to guarantee that only your name is shown is if you get your own IP blocks and your own AS (afaik OVH won't allow you to do this either).

Thanked by 1codetech12
  • imokimok Member
    edited June 2018

Lyphiard said: it's still very possible that different databases will show different information

@codetech12:

Hostadvice:

Whoishostingthis:

• I just got to know that SWIP can be done via arin.net if server is located in the US. What about an EU server?

• emreemre Member, LIR

If you order a subnet from ovh, ovh want your details and swipes the block to you. This is what happened when I ordered an IP block with my dedicated server. But I don't know about vps.

Thanked by 1codetech12
  • @emre said:
    If you order a subnet from ovh, ovh want your details and swipes the block to you. This is what happened when I ordered an IP block with my dedicated server. But I don't know about vps.

So, does whoishostingthis show your company name instead of OVH? Could you please message me your website URL?

• LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

@codetech12 said:

@emre said:

So, does whoishostingthis show your company name instead of OVH? Could you please message me your website URL?

The way WHOIS works (at least for ARIN) is that a database of netblock assignments is maintained. The database would show something like (this is an example of my IP address):

Corex Solutions LLC NEXRIL-NET (NET-161-129-152-0-1) 161.129.152.0 - 161.129.155.255

Nexril Dallas NEXRIL-DALLAS-NET (NET-161-129-152-0-2) 161.129.152.0 - 161.129.153.255

Different websites will show different sections from the WHOIS. Some websites might pick the first entry to display, while others might pick the second entry. Usually, it's ordered logically where the second entry is a sub-allocation from the first. However, this isn't always the case.

For example, ARIN's WHOIS server returns entries out of order for ERX IPv4 blocks:

Corex Solutions LLC NEXRIL-NET (NET-45-35-97-0-1) 45.35.97.0 - 45.35.97.255

Psychz Networks PSYCHZ-NETWORKS (NET-45-34-0-0-1) 45.34.0.0 - 45.35.255.255

Although NET-45-35-97-0-1 is carved out of NET-45-34-0-0-1, the entries are reversed. Some WHOIS sites who display the last entry, in this case, NET-45-35-97-0-1, will not display the most specific assignment for a specific IP address.

Now, what can you do about it? Pretty much nothing. There's really no way to guarantee that every single whois site will display your information first unless you own the IP blocks.

Thanked by 1codetech12