Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

95th percentile billing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

95th percentile billing

AsimAsim Member
edited February 2012 in General

I have a node with HostDime since 2 months now, they charge by 95th percentile billing method rather than the conventional method. Wanted to get some idea

1) Is it a good billing practice?

2) Are there any drawbacks of this method? if so what are those?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

If you spike your bandwidth over your 95% for over a day or so of time, you'll be paying and overage.

I'd seriously look into HD's overage costs for your 95%.

If it's really high, I'd recommend possibly even capping your box :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1Asim
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I usually contract bandwidth for cd lan (the company that colocate us and I'm cto at) with 95th percentile as is a standard among tier1 /tier2 carrier we talk with. then you do your network enginering magics to keep your traffic under control...

• @Asim said: they charge by 95th percentile billing method rather than the conventional method

For servers and leased lines, 95th or some percentile billing is standard, welcome to the real internet ;) Now for your questions:

@Asim said: 1) Is it a good billing practice?

You used it, you wanted to burst to those higher speeds, they needed to have the capacity available, now you get to pay a very discounted rate for the level you commit, but it you do use it, they ask you pay for it.

@Asim said: 2) Are there any drawbacks of this method? if so what are those?

The big drawback in my mind is you get bent over bad if you receive a DDoS and have no way to null that before it hits your interface.

Now it is not uncommon to find traffic billing as an option in many colo facilities today, and after what, 6-9 months in Los Angeles at QuadraNet it has turned out I saved quite a bit of money having selected that method over 95th billing. It really depends on how your servers use their connectivity which is going to benefit you more, and I don't think you can walk in blind and make the best choice, you will be making as informed a choice as flipping a coin without any history.

• @Asim: could you by any chance PM me the link to the awesome offer for HostDime which you mentioned on your blog?

• @Francisco said: If you spike your bandwidth over your 95% for over a day or so of time, you'll be paying and overage.

I raised the concern with my DC and they say they will wait until its end of the month and no overages will be posted for a spike for 1 day or 2.

@Francisco said: I'd recommend possibly even capping your box :)

How do you do that?

@miTgiB said: it is not uncommon to find traffic billing as an option in many colo facilities today

At HostDime, they have just one bandwidth measurement option.

But I noticed that munin, cacti and other graphing tools that we so commonly use also has 95th percentile in their DNA. So I am going to stick with HostDime for now, until I have better option available elsewhere

• @djvdorp said: @Asim: could you by any chance PM me the link to the awesome offer for HostDime which you mentioned on your blog?

Can't do that. It was a custom offer but still I will PM

@Asim said: I raised the concern with my DC and they say they will wait until its end of the month and no overages will be posted for a spike for 1 day or 2.

Is it just you on this node? If so then I guess you can control/monitor your usage and keep safe. If you're selling this to people, though, if they spike it for a few days and push it over, you could be stuck with a very heavy bill.

I bet the overages at hostdime are $15/mbit - $20/mbit.

Francisco

• Well these are shared hosting nodes with cPanel and last time when I was at iweb.com they never crossed 500G of bandwidth in a month (although I was allocated 10TB).

Now at HostDime, I have 10TB but calculated in 95th percentile and I am sure I will never overage BUT still, wanted to get a general idea of is it good/bad etc

@Francisco how is your DC charging you for the bandwidth? 95th percentile or the conventional way

95%.

We used to have a small commit at just 200mbit @ 95% but we had some abusive user pound out a hefty flood and we got stuck with a few thousand dollar bill. Since I really didn't want to eat it, I worked out a deal with egi and now just purchase full port speeds at a time.

We don't need full ports, but it protects us from getting suddenly stuck with a bill. :)

Francisco

• Now at HostDime, I have 10TB but calculated in 95th percentile and I am sure I will never overage BUT still, wanted to get a general idea of is it good/bad etc

10TB of bandwidth is not the same as 10TB but calculated 95th percentile; in fact there's no such thing as 10TB @ 95 percentile.

10TB = an amount (close to your average mbps)
    N mbps @ 95th percentile = a rate

You can approximately convert the two, but it's still not the same; as others have said the spikes will make the difference.

Let's say you do an average traffic of 20mbps but your 95th percentile is 30mbps; you probably did about 20x300=6000GB bandwidth, but you are paying for 30mbps.

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited February 2012

When I saw this title I instantly thought "HostDime!"

@Asim said: 1) Is it a good billing practice?

It's a rip off. No other major dedicated server hosting provider bills this way.

Its honestly not fair for them to sell limited (e.g. 2TB per month) bandwidth and still use 95th percentile billing. If you get a dos/ddos attack near the end of the month that's going to increase your bill significantly. You don't get to actually utilize your full bandwidth advertised 99% of the time.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2014

Asim said: But I noticed that munin, cacti and other graphing tools that we so commonly use also has 95th percentile in their DNA. So I am going to stick with HostDime for now, until I have better option available elsewhere

Munin does not have 95th functions built in, you have to put them in yourself. Found this on google while searching for munin 95th and thought I would mention that.

• AsimAsim Member

@Corey its an old thread from Feb 2012. At that time Munin had 95th percentile out-of-box, probably it does not have it now.

• SandyKSandyK Member

@Asim said:
    I have a node with HostDime since 2 months now, they charge by 95th percentile billing method rather than the conventional method. Wanted to get some idea

1) Is it a good billing practice?

2) Are there any drawbacks of this method? if so what are those?

Used to be the only way to have a dedicated ... and then the typical dedicated servers had only 3TB traffic up and down (internal traffic wasn't counted if connected together).

The $7/mon KVM today has as much bandwidth as a 2003 full fledged dedicated had, and without all the hassles.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • CoreyCorey Member

Asim said: @Corey its an old thread from Feb 2012. At that time Munin had 95th percentile out-of-box, probably it does not have it now.

I'm on #munin in freenode and they said it had never had it. I've read some threads on their mailing list and up to 7 years ago it was not in there still so I'm not sure how you think it had 95th :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited June 2014

Digging up a two-year old thread to tell someone they were wrong two years ago is awesome.

• wychwych Member

Someone has too much time to kill.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@wych said:
    Someone has too much time to kill.

Or not enough tickets to answer?

• CoreyCorey Member

Nekki said: Digging up a two-year old thread to tell someone they were wrong two years ago is awesome.

No that wasn't the point - thanks though. The point was to let everyone, that searches this same problem in the future, know the correct answer so they aren't confused like I was.

Thanked by 1wych
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited June 2014

If that wasn't the point, what was your second post all about? You've made special effort to point out the wrongness.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2014

Nekki said: If that wasn't the point, what was your second post all about? You've made special effort to point out the wrongness.

I think I already said that -

The point was to let everyone, that searches this same problem in the future, know the correct answer so they aren't confused like I was.

Nothing like an ex-moderator hijacking a post about 95th percentile billing. /jeez

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Corey said:
    Nothing like an ex-moderator hijacking a post about 95th percentile billing. /jeez

What does me being an ex-mod have to do with anything?

• CoreyCorey Member

Nekki said: What does me being an ex-mod have to do with anything?

Moderators and ex moderators are usually held to a higher standard to set an example for the rest of the community.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Corey said:
    Moderators and ex moderators are usually held to a higher standard to set an example for the rest of the community.

Not me, I only took the job on the understanding I would never be held to anything other than the lowest acceptable standard, and anyone with half a brain would know not to follow my example.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • AsimAsim Member

Corey said: The point was to let everyone, that searches this same problem in the future, know the correct answer so they aren't confused like I was.

Munin was not my question. My question was related to a host in general and "95th percentile pros/cons"

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited June 2014

Asim said: How do you do that?

Wondershaper is wonderful. If that's too scary, use tc.

• SandyKSandyK Member

@Corey said:
    I'm on #munin in freenode and they said it had never had it. I've read some threads on their mailing list and up to 7 years ago it was not in there still so I'm not sure how you think it had 95th :)

7 years ago dedicated and colo servers were billed 95% percentile, so if they had a dedicated box or coloed it, they were on it.

Bandwidth was expensive, even cheap-packet-dropping Cogent. So bandwidth expensive internal traffic sometimes was billed as outbound traffic if 2 dedicated servers (like a database and frontend) weren't physically linked at the datacenter.

• CoreyCorey Member

SandyK said: 7 years ago dedicated and colo servers were billed 95% percentile, so if they had a dedicated box or coloed it, they were on it.

Right, and in colo bandwidth is still billed at 95th percentile at a lot of places.