Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM CPU Ghz Problem - Any Ideas?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM CPU Ghz Problem - Any Ideas?

MetallicGlossMetallicGloss Member, Host Rep

Hey!

I'm currently experiencing a problem with any KVM based virtual private server that I generate through either Virtualizor or SolusVM whereby the CPU GHz does not match that of the host node. I've confirmed that it isn't the software used to generate them, and both companies are unable to assist me with this, unfortunately.

My problem - I operate i7 8700K nodes that are overclocked to 4.7Ghz. The node itself runs perfectly and displays the correct GHz, but when a VPS server is made it only shows the default clock rate of the CPU and appears to only run at that clock.

Do you have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Host Node:

VPS Node:

Comments

• In the top screenshot your cpu is running @ 800Mhz, in the second its running @ 3.7Ghz... its the magic of throttling up and down.

• Indeed, it has to do with turbo boost, normal and idle.

When on a high load, the node can burst the cpu to 4.6ghz for around a minute. After that, it will throttle down Back to 3.7

When idle, it is 800mhz to Save power because it has got nothing to do

Thanked by 1MetallicGloss
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2018

Ask the host to enter BIOS and disable turbo boost.

It won't actually solve anything but if you like seeing big numbers, so be it.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • MetallicGlossMetallicGloss Member, Host Rep

We're happy with how it is running at the minute, but unfortunately, to most people, numbers are everything so when they see their VPS running at 3.7Ghz when they're expecting to see 4.7 they aren't too happy with it.

Ill turn off the turbo boost and see how it improves.

Nothing is gonna improve other than seeing a bigger number and doubling/tripling your power bill.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Aidan

We doubt it, as they're currently running perfectly but there you go.

Disabling turbo seems to have corrected the problem and the CPU now shows as running at a higher clock rate. Thank you DeanK & FoxelVox.

Well, just want to make sure few things.

So, you are a host and you didn't know about turbo boost?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So much for caring about the environment.

@deank said:
    So, you are a host and you didn't know about turbo boost?

Only just switched to owned hardware from rented and most of the hardware that we have been using doesn't require overclocking as it is fine at the base rate. After being reminded of boost I noticed that it was still enabled at the bottom of the BIOS settings so was able to disable it.

edited June 2018

Turbo boost is something you learn as the most basic of basics in computer hardware. It doesn't have much to do with owning or not owning your own hardware. It's literally the first thing you will get to find out/learn when you handle a computer.

Your own PC, let that be a desktop or a laptop, has turbo boost. Intel has it. AMD has it. Even ARM in our phones has it.

Disabling it, quite frankly, reeks of sheer ignorance. Your client demands it? Let them suck it.
    If a host doesn't know, that's a clear warning sign.

Edit: lol, unliking my posts won't have any impact on me. This ain't Facebook.

I've never said that I wasn't aware of it. If you looked back to my original question, it was merely requesting how to display 4.7 within virtual private servers because it only showed the default 3.7 value; not the 4.7 value. The VPS just shows the MHz value instead of the min and max Mhz which gave the impression that the VPS server was only operating from 3.7 and couldn't make use of the additional CPU.

Turning it off has resolved the problem to some extent that I initially was questioning, but it still hasn't fully due to the fact it doesn't display the min and the max. If there is a noticeable difference, then we'll proceed with having it disabled for the time being but otherwise, we won't be as they currently run fine.

• AidanAidan Member

MetallicGloss said: when they see their VPS running at 3.7Ghz when they're expecting to see 4.7 they aren't too happy with it.

Great, then you link them to a Wikipedia article explaining what turbo boost is, not run your hardware at full tilt thanks to a couple of snowflakes.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

MetallicGloss said: requesting how to display 4.7 within virtual private servers because it only showed the default 3.7 value; not the 4.7 value. The VPS just shows the MHz value instead of the min and max Mhz which gave the impression that the VPS server was only operating from 3.7 and couldn't make use of the additional CPU.

Just curious, did you try setting the CPU config'd on the VPS as host-passthrough ?

As your screenshot shows it as QEMU Virtual CPU, maybe with host-passthrough, the VPS would know the exact CPU and (might) show the min/max frequency as the host-node does when queried by lscpu.

edited June 2018

@Aidan said:
    Great, then you link them to a Wikipedia article explaining what turbo boost is, not run your hardware at full tilt thanks to a couple of snowflakes.

We're going to see if there is any noticeable performance difference between the two, and then make a decision based on that.

@SpeedBus said:
    Just curious, did you try setting the CPU config'd on the VPS as host-passthrough ?

As your screenshot shows it as QEMU Virtual CPU, maybe with host-passthrough, the VPS would know the exact CPU and (might) show the min/max frequency as the host-node does when queried by lscpu.

Thank you for the suggestion, I did attempt to set that but it didn't make any difference. The node is also configured to show the name of the CPU but doesn't seem to do that either. I'm going to continue having a bit of a play around with the configuration of Virtualizor and then go from there.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

@MetallicGloss said:
    when they see their VPS running at 3.7Ghz when they're expecting to see 4.7 they aren't too happy with it.

Just link them to wikipedia or other articles explaining how processors work. If they are worried about this, you will probably have a big support queue.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

@SpeedBus said:

Thank you for the suggestion, I did attempt to set that but it didn't make any difference. The node is also configured to show the name of the CPU but doesn't seem to do that either. I'm going to continue having a bit of a play around with the configuration of Virtualizor and then go from there.

I use Host-passthrough with Virtualizor and can see this in /proc/cpuinfo on VPSs:

[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 58 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 V2 @ 3.40GHz stepping : 9 microcode : 1 cpu MHz : 3501.998 ...

Did you fully power off the instance and then manually start it after making the change?

edited June 2018

@FHR said:
    Did you fully power off the instance and then manually start it after making the change?

I managed to get it working, but it also now seems to be working without passthrough enabled. No option seems to allow for the min/max to be displayed on the VPS like it does on the host node.

@MikeA said:
    Just link them to wikipedia or other articles explaining how processors work. If they are worried about this, you will probably have a big support queue.

A very valid point, after being involved with game hosting for quite a long time I sort of just expected it would be a long queue regardless so at least wanted the 4.7 to appear somewhere on the VPS configuration.