Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stripe not going to support hosting company to get payment ! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stripe not going to support hosting company to get payment !

Comments

• I didn't quite read even 10% of the thread, but I've had a pretty lossy experience with Stripe in the past. Rather flexible policies and rules, a few people using, as Stripe in the end claimed, stolen cards - a shitload of chargebacks resulting by it and having to make up the full value + a fee for processing them, even though charges were accumulated.

After implementing 3D Secure with Stripe, it works pretty well and there's not really anything I could complain about. So ultimately, it also depends on how you use it and on how integrated you go.

Thanked by 2vovler mohamed
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited June 2018

@florianb said:
    I didn't quite read even 10% of the thread, but I've had a pretty lossy experience with Stripe in the past. Rather flexible policies and rules, a few people using, as Stripe in the end claimed, stolen cards - a shitload of chargebacks resulting by it and having to make up the full value + a fee for processing them, even though charges were accumulated.

After implementing 3D Secure with Stripe, it works pretty well and there's not really anything I could complain about. So ultimately, it also depends on how you use it and on how integrated you go.

As per WHMCS docs 3D secure should be configured for apple pay, not sure. How did you implement it with whmcs? If thats whmcs we are talking about.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Zen said: Crypto doesn't stop you from running fraud checks and maintaining legitimate clients.

It does remove A LOT of the checks though.

Thanked by 3Zen Wolveix TriJetScud
  • @MikePT said:

@florianb said:
    I didn't quite read even 10% of the thread, but I've had a pretty lossy experience with Stripe in the past. Rather flexible policies and rules, a few people using, as Stripe in the end claimed, stolen cards - a shitload of chargebacks resulting by it and having to make up the full value + a fee for processing them, even though charges were accumulated.

As per WHMCS docs 3D secure should be configured for apple pay, not sure. How did you implement it with whmcs? If thats whmcs we are talking about.

Not WHCMS. Everything built in-house.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

Well not far away, we got same message from them, from 2015 we used stripe and never had any chargebacks...

Thanks for using Stripe.

While we hate to give you anything less than a great experience, it does seem that your business is in violation of the Stripe Services Agreement, section A.7.b ("Prohibited >Businesses and Activities"). Specifically, we are unable to accept payments for products or services that infringe upon or facilitate the violation of the copyrights of a third party as mentioned here: https://stripe.com/prohibited-businesses.

These regulations are firm, so we sadly have no flexibility with them. That said, we understand that there may be some work involved with moving your business away from Stripe, and we’re happy to help out with this process by giving you 5 days to switch to a new provider. After that, won’t be able to accept additional charges on your account, but we will continue making payouts to your bank account until you receive all of your funds[1].

If you need an alternative payment processor, we recommend considering PaymentCloud, which works with businesses with a higher level of risk than we're able to support: https://paymentcloudinc.com/stripe.

We're very sorry that we have to turn away your business, and we wish you the best of luck moving forward.

Best,
    Stripe

[1] https://dashboard.stripe.com/transfers

Just got this message today. So time to move on, there is nothing to do...

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited June 2018

AlbaHost said:

Stripe email:

If you need an alternative payment processor, we recommend considering PaymentCloud, which works with businesses with a higher level of risk than we're able to support: https://paymentcloudinc.com/stripe.

First of all, I'd like to say I fully sympathize with anyone who is losing their payment processor. I've been there, when Paypal was kicked out of Turkey, and I lost like $25k in missed revenue.

However I like how Stripe offers an alternative processor company, and I specifically like that company (PaymentCloud) who accepts many sorts of high risk businesses.

I'm pretty sure it will suck balls to have your hosting payments processed through PaymentCloud. I didn't read their documentation, but I'm sure their fees are outrageously high for a razor-thin market like web hosting, and I'm pretty sure they will hold your money for a long time (possibly 60 days?) before paying out, to cover for their "high risk" transactions.

However, for a new business I'm planning to start, that's pretty acceptable. I can wait 60 days (or whatever they will impose), and I can accept processing fees as high as 20%, provided that they will never kick out my business for violating their "content rules".

Paypal is very trigger-happy, if they don't like you, you lose your account along with everything in it. I would hate to set up a business and lose my main payment processor again (been there!). As long as PaymentCloud can assure me that they have no problem with my business, I'm willing to pay higher fees or wait for payouts.

I would never trust PaymentCloud if I had read about it on a different website. High-risk processors look shady as fuck, and people recommending them are also shady in most cases. Even though what I will sell is perfectly legal and ethical in every way, I'm willing to trade off some income for otherwise guaranteed income. And Stripe recommending PaymentCloud is a vote of confidence.

Thank you Stripe for recommending a less-shady-than-average processor, but fuck you for screwing over hosting businesses. You messed with my friends.

Thanked by 2AlbaHost Aidan
    edited June 2018

Hi,

It seems a false alarm from stripe, they did changed their decision:

Stripe Support
    6:52 PM (22 minutes ago)
    to me
    Hi *******,

We're incredibly sorry for the trouble with your Stripe account! It looks like we closed it in error. Since this was a mistake on our end, we've gone ahead and re-enabled your account.

We sincerely apologize for any frustration this caused. Instances like this are rare and we take them very seriously. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there's any way we can be of help.

Best,
    Stripe

• vovlervovler Member

@AlbaHost said:
    Hi,

Stripe Support
    to me
    Hi *******,

We're incredibly sorry for the trouble with your Stripe account! It looks like we closed it in error. Since this was a mistake on our end, we've gone ahead and re-enabled your account.

We sincerely apologize for any frustration this caused. Instances like this are rare and we take them very seriously. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there's any way we can be of help.

Best,
    Stripe

What??? Are they high?

I don't know if anyone would like to risk their business with them now. Obviously according to your statement, you didn't have had any chargebacks, but imagine if you did have a couple, would they go back on their word?

If some competitor would attempt to ruin your business, they could easily target the payment processor.

Thanked by 1Aidan

@vovler said:

@AlbaHost said:
    Hi,

Stripe Support
    to me
    Hi *******,

Best,
    Stripe

What??? Are they high?

I don't know if anyone would like to risk their business with them now. Obviously according to your statement, you didn't have had any chargebacks, but imagine if you did have a couple, would they go back on their word?

If some competitor would attempt to ruin your business, they could easily target the payment processor.

I really don't know, i asked them and stated about no chargeback and what is the reason that they are closing our account, now they sent me mentioned email. Maybe a mistake who knows...

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Nowadays, it's guilty until proven otherwise.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Clouvider said:

@MikePT said:
    2checkout seems interesting. How long does it take to withdraw funds to EU? And how about fees compared to PayPal? Need to investigate all this tomorrow.

2CO explicitly does not allow hosting businesses, there’s a twitter exchange between ourselves, another host and them where they say it explicitly.

2CO kicked us out for a less than 1% chargeback ratio.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Corey said:

@Clouvider said:

@MikePT said:
    2checkout seems interesting. How long does it take to withdraw funds to EU? And how about fees compared to PayPal? Need to investigate all this tomorrow.

2CO explicitly does not allow hosting businesses, there’s a twitter exchange between ourselves, another host and them where they say it explicitly.

2CO kicked us out for a less than 1% chargeback ratio.

We had zero exactly. They said they did a review and said that shared hosting Ian a ‘cyber locker’ that they don’t support. To support this they said that as with ‘cyber lockers’ you can upload and download files, meaning that de-facto any hosting service is excluded if you follow that definition. Escalated to the highest level and never overturned.

• vovlervovler Member

@Clouvider said:
    We had zero exactly. They said they did a review and said that shared hosting Ian a ‘cyber locker’ that they don’t support. To support this they said that as with ‘cyber lockers’ you can upload and download files, meaning that de-facto any hosting service is excluded if you follow that definition. Escalated to the highest level and never overturned.

What payment processor are you using right now?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Sounds more like ...

"We ain't got the manpower to deal with chargebacks at all. We are just looking for easy money."

Thanked by 1Corey

@vovler said:

@Clouvider said:

Stripe and PayPal Pro

• vovlervovler Member

@Clouvider said:

@vovler said:

@Clouvider said:

Stripe and PayPal Pro

Any 'fun' email from Stripe?

@vovler said:

@Clouvider said:

@vovler said:

@Clouvider said:

Stripe and PayPal Pro

Any 'fun' email from Stripe?

Not (yet). According to heir T&C in the UK we shouldn’t be classified as the ‘unwanted budiness’ so hopefully we should be good.

• LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

I emailed their support asking since I, too, use Stripe. This was their response:

I'm afraid that you are correct, Stripe is not able to process payments for web hosting companies. Please don't take this as us believing that your business is illegitimate in any way -- Stripe is beholden to the rules and regulations of our banking partners, who are private companies. They have dictated our inability to support businesses like your own.

While we can't support you here at Stripe at the moment, we can recommend an alternative processing called PaymentCloud. PaymentCloud has agreed to take on many of the businesses we can't currently work with: https://paymentcloudinc.com/stripe/

I'm sorry I was not able to offer you a better experience with us. I wish you the best of luck in finding a payments processor that is able to support your needs.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@Lyphiard said:
    I emailed their support asking since I, too, use Stripe. This was their response:

I'm afraid that you are correct, Stripe is not able to process payments for web hosting companies. Please don't take this as us believing that your business is illegitimate in any way -- Stripe is beholden to the rules and regulations of our banking partners, who are private companies. They have dictated our inability to support businesses like your own.

While we can't support you here at Stripe at the moment, we can recommend an alternative processing called PaymentCloud. PaymentCloud has agreed to take on many of the businesses we can't currently work with: https://paymentcloudinc.com/stripe/

I'm sorry I was not able to offer you a better experience with us. I wish you the best of luck in finding a payments processor that is able to support your needs.

Seems like Stripe's response varies significantly depending on the rep you speak to.

@FHR said:

@Lyphiard said:

Seems like Stripe's response varies significantly depending on the rep you speak to.

Or potentially the country of the account.

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited June 2018

Yes Stripe is still accepting hosting businesses. I own a small hosting company. Usually I sell only cpanel shared and few vps and support services here and there through Stripe. I went to their TOS pages and checked the ban-list and could not find any mention of 'web hosting' as a banned business. I did get 5-6 chargebacks in 1 year but still they never banned me.

This seems to be a manual ban for a particular hosting company only.

To be on safer side I will be adding one more payment option, and had opened a thread on LET about it and few members had suggested some good providers.

• vovlervovler Member

@Sofia_K said:
    Yes Stripe is still accepting hosting businesses. I own a small hosting company. Usually I sell only cpanel shared and few vps and support services here and there through Stripe. I went to their TOS pages and checked the ban-list and could not find any mention of 'web hosting' as a banned business. I did get 5-6 chargebacks in 1 year but still they never banned me.

This seems to be a manual ban for a particular hosting company only.

As Clouvider stated, it may be related to the country of the account. TOSHOST is a company registered in the UK, but the owner's English is not that great. India would be considered a high risk country, maybe that has something to do with the ban.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

@FHR said:

@Lyphiard said:

Or potentially the country of the account.

Maybe... I emailed them from a email address not associated with any particular country or account, but I'm personally in the U.S.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2018

We've been using stripe for a while and our chargeback ratio does seem higher there. It's like the baddies look for companies that accept stripe specifically to abuse. I haven't got a letter yet, and we don't do much Stripe volume so maybe we will remain under the radar (as long as a rep doesn't find this post :) ).

• I used Stripe in the past, only had one chargeback but never got shutdown. My main reason I switched about 4 months ago is I was because they seem to get a little trigger happy with web hosting. I didn't want to deal with the risk so I disabled it. I moved to square and it's been great. Payment gets deposited the next day. Right now I'm using paypal and square.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Corey said: (as long as a rep doesn't find this post :) ).

or someone who can report it :D

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

We was just started using Stripe after providing them all valid documents in March 2018. And they just simply send us an email after complete $300+ transaction on 10 April 2018 by saying they can't accept our business, giving us 14 days to find another merchant.

They was mentioned in that email that they can accept us if we signup for their Atlas program by paying them $500 fee. That was kind of unacceptable, so we leave them.

Edit: Screenshot for showing that we have no disputes or risk with our transactions.

~ Shakib Khan

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited June 2018

@MHS_Marc said:
    I moved to square and it's been great. Payment gets deposited the next day. Right now I'm using paypal and square.

Square's website talks about physical card processing, how did you do online payments?

Edıt: found it, it wasn't advertised heavily.

@Shakib said:
    We was just started using Stripe after providing them all valid documents in March 2018. And they just simply send us an email after complete $300+ transaction on 10 April 2018 by saying they can't accept our business, giving us 14 days to find another merchant.

They was mentioned in that email that they can accept us if we signup for their Atlas program by paying them $500 fee. That was kind of unacceptable, so we leave them.

Edit: Screenshot for showing that we have no disputes or risk with our transactions.

~ Shakib Khan

Clearly they didn’t like the way your LLC is setup if they offered you Atlas. High risk.

• CoreyCorey Member

Was just in contact with stripe.

Thanks for taking that step and authenticating your account. My name's Andrew and I'm stepping in for my colleague Holly while she's out of the office.

I can definitely understand why you're confused that we had asked you to log into the account, but it's much easier to see your business and the details of it when discussing stuff like this. I hope you understand.

That being said, hosting providers are not currently on our Prohibited Business List, but that doesn't mean that we might not have transitioned off an account in that field. All businesses are reviewed on a case by case basis, so a lot more goes into a decision than simply the industry, however, if an industry is seen as high risk, we may transition off. If you would like to see the businesses that we are prohibited from working with, you can see a list here:

https://stripe.com/us/prohibited-businesses

Looking at the link you provided, it appears that it is a forum and one of the people there said they were rejected for hosting, however, from the first screenshot that they left, it would appear that possibly that wasn't the case. There are a myriad of different factors that could go into a decision, and unfortunately, I can't get into much specifics in order to protect our underwriting process.

I appreciate you reaching out, and if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Warm Regards,
    Andrew H.