Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[REQUEST] High Storage Server (16TB HDD, 1Gbps Uplink, ∞ Bandwidth)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[REQUEST] High Storage Server (16TB HDD, 1Gbps Uplink, ∞ Bandwidth)

RazeRaze Member
edited May 2018 in Requests

Looking for a dedicated server with the following specs:

• 16TB HDD, 7200RPM
  • 1Gbps Upload Speed
  • Unlimited Bandwidth (150TB min.)

The rest of the specs that aren't as imperative are as follows:

• 16GB RAM
  • Xeon E5-1620/D-1520 (or similar, equivalent, or better CPU)
  • Virtualization shouldn't matter

The budget is roughly 120 USD/100 EUR

Currently, the server that fits the most of these is OVH's STOR-24T Dedicated Server:

STOR-24T

The only difference is that 24TB of HDD is slightly excessive, and is capped at 500mbps for normal usage.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

1Gbit/s unmetered at this price is not going to happen, no matter what server you throw behind i, unless you want it oversold to the point you can’t rely on this link .

• RazeRaze Member

@Clouvider said:
    1Gbit/s unmetered at this price is not going to happen, no matter what server you throw behind i, unless you want it oversold to the point you can’t rely on this link .

OVH has 500mbps unmetered for a good bit cheaper though, what makes 1gbps unfathomable?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

That OVH box is probably your best bet. It's 500Mbps unmetered on a gigabit link, they do allow it to burst so much in a given month.

If you need more bandwidth, the cheapest option is still OVH - you'll have to pay for a bandwidth upgrade that will basically double the cost of the server: https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-servers/bandwidth-upgrade.xml

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Raze said:

@Clouvider said:

OVH has 500mbps unmetered for a good bit cheaper though, what makes 1gbps unfathomable?

I don’t know, wholesale cost of transit ?

Cost of IX ports ?

I’m not even mentioning the routers and other gear or any labour

@Raze said:

@Clouvider said:

It's just unfathomable at your price point. OVH offers what you want, but it's another $100/month. They've run 50% off deals in the past on bandwidth, so you could get it for $50-ish/month.

If you can make 500Mbps (and some burst capabilities to 1G) work, then I suggest you go that route. If you NEED 1G, then their bandwidth upgrade is the best price to quality mix I can think of.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • RazeRaze Member

@Harambe said:
    If you NEED 1G, then their bandwidth upgrade is the best price to quality mix I can think of.

Where is the bandwidth upgrade located? I can't seem to find it, do I need to contact them to upgrade?

• @Raze said:

@Harambe said:
    If you NEED 1G, then their bandwidth upgrade is the best price to quality mix I can think of.

Where is the bandwidth upgrade located? I can't seem to find it, do I need to contact them to upgrade?

There’s a button on the page that @Harambe linked...

Thanked by 2willie Harambe
  • williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

Hetzner bandwidth above the amount included with servers (30TB in the case of SX61) is 1 euro/TB which is pretty good. I don't know how much traffic you're likely to actually get through an OVH 500gbit port. That would be around 160TB if you could use the whole amount, but who knows what's possible.

150TB/mo is 500 mbit/s averaged over 24 hours, but if it's going to a normal web audience that sleeps at night, you probably need a full gbit connection and you will fill it, probably way over 1gbit at the busiest times of day. Srsly getting that traffic level with anything like your stated budget is a pipe dream.

@Raze said:

@Harambe said:

Linked above. https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-servers/bandwidth-upgrade.xml

Once you have the server you can go whatever version of that page you have in your region, hit the order button and add it on to your server.