Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clone M3U8 Stream
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clone M3U8 Stream

entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

Hey,

Does anyone know if its possible to "clone" an m3u8 stream, essentially to get a direct copy of the input stream?

For example, I have an M3U8 stream that contains 3 different qualities, is there a way I can clone these into my own m3u8 file that will work exactly the same?

Thanks.

Comments

• Are you checking to download or relay?

• entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

@mrclown said:
    Are you checking to download or relay?

A little bit of both, I want to essentially download it and then stream it from my own server.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

IceCast is a streaming solution, which supports relaying. Not sure exactly how it works, but check it out.

• Wasn't m3u just text pointing where the actual stream bytes are?

• @FHR said:
    IceCast is a streaming solution, which supports relaying. Not sure exactly how it works, but check it out.

This is not going to happen. IceCast mostly works with audio and in SOME situations with video too. However, Wowza was developed for this. Icecast mostly is for radiostations. I use it myself :)

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@DennisdeWit said:

@FHR said:

This is not going to happen. IceCast mostly works with audio and in SOME situations with video too. However, Wowza was developed for this. Icecast mostly is for radiostations. I use it myself :)

Nobody mentioned video, and m3u is an audio playlist.

• @FHR I know, but the TS is talking about m3u8, which is HLS, mostly used for video.

So:
    If TS wants to clone m3u8 video, choose Wowza
    If it’s about audio and m3u, Icecast will relay it.

• there're a few m3u8 download tools which does the job, otherwise just write the script to download which won't be so difficult even if that's live.

For streaming back, much simpler than downloading. Doesn't matter video or audio or both.

• entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

@mrclown said:
    there're a few m3u8 download tools which does the job, otherwise just write the script to download which won't be so difficult even if that's live.

For streaming back, much simpler than downloading. Doesn't matter video or audio or both.

Yep that's what I was thinking I would have to do, just didn't want to re-invent the wheel.

• inklightinklight Member
    edited June 2018

cvlc --loop --live-caching 9000 "http://stream/some.m3u8" --sout "#transcode:http{mux=ts,dst=:8080/1.ts}" &

if you ant save to hdd use
    ffmpeg -i "http://stream/some.m3u8" -c copy file.mp4
    use -t 0:0:0 to save specified period of time .
    or use nginx-rtmp pull command to rebroadcast it as live m3u8 stream "embed it to web browser html5 app etc "

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • mkshmksh Member

Not sure what's the problem with aloop. It seems to do exactly what OP wants (load aloop module, play stream to the input side of a loop device, record or restream from the output side). Don't think it'll get much easier but yeah i am not going to post a complete howto, sorry.