Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated IP for my NAS using VPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated IP for my NAS using VPN?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited May 2018 in Help

Hello there,

So I am a bit confused if this would work, but I assume it does.

My ISP changed a while ago to "IPV6 Dualstack Lite" (https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/ipv6-dual-stack-lite-overview.html )

The problem is, because my mobile phone and mobile devices only have IPv4 (no IPv6) I can not reach my NAS outside my internal network, since I only have (as per my understanding) an actual IPv6 adress (dedicated to me, which is dynamic) and a shared (with other users of ISP) IPv4 adress. Thus FritzBox routers ddns service cant be pointed to my ipv4 because I dont have an actual IPv4 to point to in order to access from the outside network. I only can access my NAS currently from the outside via IPv6 where fritzbox ddns is pointed to. My Asus VPN Router AC51U connected to my fritzbox cant make use of its self-hosted vpn feature, nor can my fritzbox because no dedicated ipv4 adress. Now the question is: If I were to setup a OpenVPN server on a VPS and setup that vpn config on my Asus VPN Router and connect my NAS to the Asus router which is connected to that VPSes VPN, would all my devices that are connected to the vpn hosted by the vps (e.g. my phone, laptop etc.) be able to reach the NAS without any further portforwarding (because portforwarding would only be outside network access where as by connecting all to the same vpn server the devices are in internal network)?

Hope somebody can give some pointers :P

Kind regards,

Ympker

Comments

• Jake4Jake4 Member
    edited May 2018

Yes if you connect using the internal IPs that the VPN gives you. you could also try IP tables to restrict the Nas's VPN given IP to be passed over to the VPS IP.
    Edit: will work if it runs the VPN under separate instances per connectivity/you select what device uses the VPN. If your router forwards everything under the same internal IP of the VPN then probably not.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Yes this should work. I do something similar at home (L2TP/IPSec tunnel to a router in colo) so I can have public routable subnets in use on my home network.

You want to make sure you setup routing rules so that your VPS knows how to reach your LAN (or at least the IP of the fritzbox). You can than either forward ports from the VPS' public IP (using iptables) or if you only want VPN connected clients to have access, just make sure you push the appropriate route to the clients.

With OpenVPN specifically, you need to setup iroutes (basically OpenVPN's internal routing table) as well as the kernel routes.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2018

@freerangecloud said:
    Yes this should work. I do something similar at home (L2TP/IPSec tunnel to a router in colo) so I can have public routable subnets in use on my home network.

You want to make sure you setup routing rules so that your VPS knows how to reach your LAN (or at least the IP of the fritzbox). You can than either forward ports from the VPS' public IP (using iptables) or if you only want VPN connected clients to have access, just make sure you push the appropriate route to the clients.

With OpenVPN specifically, you need to setup iroutes (basically OpenVPN's internal routing table) as well as the kernel routes.

Thanks mate :) Will read into iroutes soon :P