Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedi server for Plex, who to use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedi server for Plex, who to use?

GazCBGGazCBG Member
edited May 2018 in General

Looking to get a dedicated server, to setup a plex server on it, so I can stream, to my place and when I am on the move, in the UK.

Can anyone recommend a provider, to run a Plex server from, that I can also store the files on?

Also is OVH any good for this sort of thing, as they now have UK servers?

Or would I need to look for a server in The Netherlands or France, due to storing the files on the server?

Comments

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited May 2018

I've personally used Hetzner in the past. If you checkout their auction servers you can get something with a load of power and storage for a pretty good price.

ruTorrent + Filebot + Plex (consistent 3+ streams, often reached 6/7 concurrent streams to UK)

If you're torrenting in Germany though try to stick with private torrents.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Using OVH's (Kimsufi) France location would be better than using the UK location since it's much cheaper and you wouldn't have any issue with the distance. I can stream content from their BHS location that's 70-ish ms away no problem. The France locations are like 5ms - 15ms away or something.

Unless you're wanting something with larger disks in RAID, then go with something different and more customizable.

• mkshmksh Member

@GazCBG said:
    Or would I need to look for a server in The Netherlands or France, due to storing the files on the server?

Storing is not the problem. It's how the files get there and none of those places is generally favorable in that aspect.

• GazCBGGazCBG Member

@mksh said:

@GazCBG said:

Storing is not the problem. It's how the files get there and none of those places is generally favorable in that aspect.

Where would be then? and ahve a good connection back to the UK?
    I have a few of choice to get the files there: SFTP, Via a VPS from my Seedbox

• mkshmksh Member

@GazCBG said:

@mksh said:

@GazCBG said:

Where would be then? and ahve a good connection back to the UK?
    I have a few of choice to get the files there: SFTP, Via a VPS from my Seedbox

As long as you aren't downloading on the server location doesn't matter. As for downloading well, you should study local laws/enforcement (and to what extend you think you are going to get in contact with it) but generally nothing inside the EU will be all that great. It's just that a couple of countries (or at least some providers being run there) have a more relaxed way of handling complaints.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2018

Guy,

Let's talk specifics:

1) how many concurrent 1080p streams do you need to support?

2) how many TB of media do you have?

• GazCBGGazCBG Member
    edited May 2018

Between 1 and 5. Currently at 1.5TB

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Sorry, missed an important point - how many concurrent transcoded streams do you need to support?

• GazCBGGazCBG Member

1 or 2

• NekkiNekki Veteran

OK, so you only need a modest server - 4k passmark and 2TB of storage with a 100Mb connection will be plenty.

If you want to do it on a budget, the Kimsufi KS-3C would be ideal - available now at £21.59/month inc VAT. The KS-3B is currently not in stock but would do the job just as well, at £14.39/month inc VAT. Both have 2TB storages, but only a single disk.

Also in the budget region, as has already been suggested, Heztner have plenty to offer at around the €21/month ex VAT price point alhough they typically have 2 disks and if you're lucky, you can get enterprise HDDs.

If you want 'premium' rather than 'cheapest', let us know your budget....

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • hacktekhacktek Member

"Modest" is relative. I have a 4k passmark server with some old opteron that doesn't transcode 1080p. I think it has to be somewhat decent (plus the 4k+ passmark) to be able to transcode 2 1080p.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2018

@hacktek said:
    "Modest" is relative. I have a 4k passmark server with some old opteron that doesn't transcode 1080p. I think it has to be somewhat decent (plus the 4k+ passmark) to be able to transcode 2 1080p.

It's a guideline. I've done 720p streams on a Kimsufi which is much lower than the recommended 1.5k passmark. Unfortunately, I don't maintain a database of how each CPU model performs specifically for transcoding Plex, so utilising Plex own guidelines is the best we can do.

I think what we can agree on is that the CPU models in the Kimsufi and Hetzner servers will be suitable.