Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD Expectations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD Expectations

Using:
dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; unlink test

What are your expectations of acceptable disk I/O for providers offering SSD hosts?

My expectations are SSD disk I/O should be greater than 300 MB/s.

What say you?

Comments

• dd is not IO

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • @serverian said:
    dd is not IO

Technically it is, it's reading In and writing Out.

Any input on what you consider acceptable speeds?

• @jimpop said:

Run ioping -RD .

• Any dd result over 50MB/s is completely usable for most purposes. Think about it, how often will you be doing 1GB Sequential writes on your VPS? The more important test result is iops, which can be measured with ioping, which should be VERY high on an SSD. I get about 1k IOPS on my workstation with a RAID 1 array of 7200RPM SATA Drives, and I get about 3k+ on one of my BlueVM OpenVZ VPSes, which is on a node with SSD Caching. I get 5k+ (IIRC) on my RamNode VPS, which is pure SSD.

• i dunno, I see 8k+ iops on a non-SSD host, yet only 3.9K iops on a SSD host. The same non-SSD host shows 300 MB/s writes whereas the SSD host shows 1.1 G/s.

dd shows me throughput, and while I may not be sequentially writing 1GB of data, I do some things that create indexes of thousands of smaller amounts of data. If I can only write 50 MB/s, instead of 1.1 G/s, then my data processing is severely reduced.

Iops are important, but so is throughput.

Thanked by 1Mitsuhashi