Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM with attachable block storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM with attachable block storage

DO, Linode, Lunanode, Vultr all offer block storage, for about the same price.

Any thoughts on which service is (a) most reliable and (b) most performant? By "service" I mean the block storage service, not the provider overall :)

Usage will be email storage, accessed via dovecot.

Thanks !

Comments

• williewillie Member

Vultr offers 50gb for free, or used to.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco is, or soon will be doing this.

• sleddogsleddog Member

@willie said:

Probably a promo offer.

I'm not looking for free, I'm quite willing to pay the going rate.

Just soliciting feedback on user experiences :)

• sleddogsleddog Member

@Clouvider said:

I don't see it on their website. Maybe Coming Soon™ :)

Not looking for a beta product, but something tried & true. Start with 10GB and easily expand in increments to 100GB, maybe 150GB. Some storage redundancy, independent of the host VM. Good performance.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Our block storage at DO has been very reliable and performs quite well. From my perspective I'd rather just not weigh in at all if I couldn't say that honestly. I'm actually transferring 1.5TB of data over to it right now.

• sleddogsleddog Member

Thanks for that. But I've twice had VMs crash and burn at OVH with data loss. I should've learned the first time...

And yes, I had backups, and restored them to a different provider.

• sleddogsleddog Member

@jarland said:
    Our block storage at DO has been very reliable and performs quite well. From my perspective I'd rather just not weigh in at all if I couldn't say that honestly. I'm actually transferring 1.5TB of data over to it right now.

Thanks jarland. I've never used DO, but I value your input.

Thanked by 1jar
  • williewillie Member

sleddog said: Thanks for that. But I've twice had VMs crash and burn at OVH with data loss. I should've learned the first time...

Their current stuff works pretty well from what I can tell. If your crashes were with the older series, then yeah, they sucked and everyone knows it. If they were with the current ones then hmm, that's interesting and troubling so I appreciate the info.

• I have been using Lunanode block storage for about 3 years, no problem so far.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@sleddog said:

@Clouvider said:

I don't see it on their website. Maybe Coming Soon™ :)

Not looking for a beta product, but something tried & true. Start with 10GB and easily expand in increments to 100GB, maybe 150GB. Some storage redundancy, independent of the host VM. Good performance.

Fair, we'll have a beta soon enough.

For what it's worth we're keeping things pretty simple platform side so there's a lot less things to break.

We've already put most of our Vegas storage customers on it and performance has been very good with some adjustments.

Francisco

• sleddogsleddog Member

@willie said:

sleddog said: Thanks for that. But I've twice had VMs crash and burn at OVH with data loss. I should've learned the first time...

Their current stuff works pretty well from what I can tell. If your crashes were with the older series, then yeah, they sucked and everyone knows it. If they were with the current ones then hmm, that's interesting and troubling so I appreciate the info.

It was January-March 2016, with a product they called "VPS 2016" -- local disk storage (supposedly SSD but performed like HDD), entry-level was around $3.50 - $4.00 / month as I recall.

• sleddogsleddog Member

@hiphiphip0 said:
    I have been using Lunanode block storage for about 3 years, no problem so far.

Thanks for that. And I see that Lunanode block storage is $0.03/GB/month, compared to $0.10/GB/month are DO, Vultr, Linode.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

sleddog said: Thanks for that. And I see that Lunanode block storage is $0.03/GB/month, compared to $0.10/GB/month are DO, Vultr, Linode.

LunaNode is HDD (Ceph RDB with 3 replicas) while DO/Vultr are SSD.

But the performance difference may not be substantial due to the blocks being distributed across storage nodes.

If you use LunaNode then I would suggest using the Toronto location if possible since that location has several times more storage nodes than Montreal/Roubaix, which makes the performance more stable if a storage node fails.

Personally I use dovecot's dsync feature (https://wiki.dovecot.org/Replication).

Thanked by 1uptime
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@Francisco C'MON . We want it now.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Hxxx said:
    @Francisco C'MON . We want it now.

zips

I've had some delays in things, but, making progress :)

RDMA feels awesome.

Francisco

• sleddogsleddog Member

@perennate said:

sleddog said: Thanks for that. And I see that Lunanode block storage is $0.03/GB/month, compared to $0.10/GB/month are DO, Vultr, Linode.

LunaNode is HDD (Ceph RDB with 3 replicas) while DO/Vultr are SSD.

But the performance difference may not be substantial due to the blocks being distributed across storage nodes.

If you use LunaNode then I would suggest using the Toronto location if possible since that location has several times more storage nodes than Montreal/Roubaix, which makes the performance more stable if a storage node fails.

Personally I use dovecot's dsync feature (https://wiki.dovecot.org/Replication).

Thanks for this. Toronto would work fine for me.

I'm unsure about your suggestion of dovecot dsync. Are you suggesting I use it to replicate mail to another LunaNode volume? Maybe in another DC?

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

It was only down for over 24h for me some weeks ago. Wouldn't call that reliable at all.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

sleddog said: I'm unsure about your suggestion of dovecot dsync. Are you suggesting I use it to replicate mail to another LunaNode volume? Maybe in another DC?

I guess I was thinking that, if you have it replicated between two locations, then you don't need to worry as much about having the underlying storage provide redundant replicas, so any VM would do.

But maybe that doesn't work for your use case, e.g. if you want the volume mostly for the large storage size, or for the ability to move it around independently of the VM.

Thanked by 2sleddog cirrus_cloud
  • bapbap Member

@willie said:

is it still available for free?
    it was there, but I cant find it since 2 months ago..

• sleddogsleddog Member

perennate said: But maybe that doesn't work for your use case, e.g. if you want the volume mostly for the large storage size, or for the ability to move it around independently of the VM.

I guess what I want is storage that I can rely on for the next few years, and which I can easily grow as needed. I understand that any system can fail, and I can live with that. There will be an offsite backup (maybe dsync or sync) for worst-case. I'm hoping to minimize the probability of worst-case, without spending a lot.

Data is 6 or 7 years of email for a few local non-profits. Most of my mail users use POP3 from a desktop client and run happily for years within a ~400MB quota. Then there's the few exceptions who don't (for a variety of acceptable reasons). Their budgets are minimal. They pay me pennies and I'm happy to do it for them.

I'm thinking a LunaNode m.1 (1 GB RAM) with an attached volume would do nicely.

I haven't decided whether I should create the m.1 as a volume-backed instance (for greater redundancy) or have it SSD (for better performance).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@sleddog said:

@willie said:

Probably a promo offer.

I'm not looking for free, I'm quite willing to pay the going rate.

I don't think Vultr is still doing the 50GB thing. Even if they are, you can get as much as you want at the going rate. It was a promo rate on the first 50GB but it's not limited to that.

However it is (still) limited to NY/NJ, which is kinda lame. And after a year it's still listed as beta, which is also kinda lame.

• sleddogsleddog Member

raindog308 said: However it is (still) limited to NY/NJ, which is kinda lame. And after a year it's still listed as beta, which is also kinda lame.

How long was Gmail beta? :)

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • All setup and running nicely on LunaNode. Great platform :)