Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server with fast disk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server with fast disk

mokafumokafu Member
edited May 2018 in General

Hi let,

For some data intensive application i need system to sustain 1GB/s for file read.
Assuming disk space needed would be around 500GB, what's the cheapest dedi that could achieve such ? What is the most recommended setup: 2xSSD (raid) or NVME ?

Network: 5Tb or less @ 1Gbps

Thanks

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

OVH is offering 2x480GB NVME free aren't they on a $50 dedi?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

If you need it in the U.S. the OVH discovery offers would probably be best for NVMe. Not many U.S. hosts have NVMe as an option for dedicated servers under $100.

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

in the US it is difficult to find servers with NVME under $100/mo.

• mokafumokafu Member

Thanks everyone for the inputs, would it be cheaper to use a RAID SSD solution instead ?

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

NVMe should help you here, but it will be very hard to find in USA. As I know most of NVM'e dedicated server offers are located in Europe

• 7$

• mokafumokafu Member
    edited May 2018

Would expanding location to include Canada, provide more options ?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

bacloud said: NVMe should help you here, but it will be very hard to find in USA. As I know most of NVM'e dedicated server offers are located in Europe

Really? Why? Is NVMe more expensive in USA than EU?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@randvegeta said:

bacloud said: NVMe should help you here, but it will be very hard to find in USA. As I know most of NVM'e dedicated server offers are located in Europe

Really? Why? Is NVMe more expensive in USA than EU?

Different market pricing

• mokafumokafu Member

Actually, was able to run some tests on a Vultr dedicated instance and 2xSSD in RAID0 provide great speed, so i'll be looking for such going forward

• williewillie Member

I have a VPS on a Canadian NVMe OVH server and it's great. But watch out, Optane dimms are coming:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12828/intel-launches-optane-dimms-up-to-512gb-apache-pass-is-here

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    I have a VPS on a Canadian NVMe OVH server and it's great. But watch out, Optane dimms are coming:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12828/intel-launches-optane-dimms-up-to-512gb-apache-pass-is-here

but they take a port otherwise destined for ram so not really scalable, and especially on an E3.

• williewillie Member

Clouvider said: but they take a port otherwise destined for ram so not really scalable, and especially on an E3.

Yeah, I figure they will be expensive enough that they'll probably only live in high end database servers and the like. Using something like that for ordinary file storage seems crazy. And since OP was after transfer speed rather than latency, an HDD-based hardware RAID might work pretty well too. I have to wonder what kind of application needs 500GB of NVMe where sequential transfer is the bottleneck.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@willie said:

Clouvider said: but they take a port otherwise destined for ram so not really scalable, and especially on an E3.

Yeah, I figure they will be expensive enough that they'll probably only live in high end database servers and the like.

In-memory database systems like SAP HANA are usually done with a nice chunk of flash storage and want more RAM anyway. I don't think anyone will want Optane for this use case. Where it could be useful though is filesystem caching (L2ARC).

@willie said:
    Using something like that for ordinary file storage seems crazy. And since OP was after transfer speed rather than latency, an HDD-based hardware RAID might work pretty well too. I have to wonder what kind of application needs 500GB of NVMe where sequential transfer is the bottleneck.

Streaming, probably

• williewillie Member

FHR said:

Streaming, probably

I guess that's possible, but it means filling a 10 gbps network pipe so it might be easier to use multiple servers for that. The network cost will far exceed the hardware cost.