Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about changing VPS IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about changing VPS IP

mattothsmattoths Member
edited May 2018 in Help

My host provider suggest me changing the location because the current one has connection issue. They told me only the IP address would be changed during the transfer.

Currently, it is powered by cPanel with SSL. So my question is: what kind of change should be actually taken?

1. A Record (for sure)
  2. cPanel (for sure)
  3. Reissue SSL certificate (not sure)

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

SSL certificate isn't tied to IP.

• happybeehappybee Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

I think they are migrating your whole server to the new location. If that the case, they will add a new IP address and remove the old one from your server. Then, you can simply change the DNS and Apache configuration to the new IP address using cPanel "IP Migration Wizard" tool (WHM »IP Functions »IP Migration Wizard). The cPanel official documentation can be found at the following URL.

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/70Docs/IP+Migration+Wizard

If you are using remote nameservers you need to update the new IP address at the DNS zones configured at the remote nameserver end. If you are using custom nameservers, you have to update the new IP at your domain's registrar end. Also, there is no need to reissue the SSL Certificate.

• mattothsmattoths Member
    edited May 2018

Only use A Record and use the registrar default name server. thanks for the details @happybee