Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Super Powerful DS with Low RAM & SSD, pref in EU/NA (or cloud?)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Super Powerful DS with Low RAM & SSD, pref in EU/NA (or cloud?)

i am looking to move a process from my current VPS cause it's overloading the system and messing up the sites hosted on that server.

there are moments of very high load, so i think i need at least 8 cores. 2GB RAM will be enough, and a 20GB SSD or something, i think..

is there anything affordable/customizable like this? i just need power.. and some bandwidth, but not too much, maybe 1TB will be good.

i was also thinking about cloud vps. will it make sense? cloud can provide with lots of computing power, as i've heard.. but never dealt before..

ps no cryptos involved, current 2c VPS averages 40-50% CPU usage, so i am worried they'll kick me some time...

Comments

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

If you don't mind me asking what exactly is involved in this?

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

SergueiKireev said: so i think i need at least 8 cores. 2GB RAM will be enough, and a 20GB SSD or something, i think..

No this basically doesn't exist, 8 cores is a lot of cpu resources, basically a whole midsized server or a big chunk of a large server. The amount of ram and disk will be proportionate and the cost will be proportionate as well. You can get an 8 core VPS from Hetzner Cloud with 32GB ram and 240GB of SSD for 30 euro/month and that's fantastically cheap. But it would amaze me if you actually needed something like that, without a clearer idea of what you're doing.

What is the application if I can ask, that's using so much cpu? Maybe there is a way to tune it, or maybe you just need a smaller VPS that's more tolerant of occasional load spikes. If you're running 50% load on 2 cores now and then it's not too bad. If you're doing that most of the time then yeah, you need a higher resource VPS or perhaps a small dedi.

• msg7086msg7086 Member

Hetzner server bidding has something with SSD and i7-4770 at 35 euro, if you really need "super powerful" CPU.

Although 2 cores VPS at 50% usage sounds like nothing -- a cheap i3 can handle pretty easily.

• i am not very experienced in picking out resources... maybe i do not need an 8 core cpu.. but, i am looking into vast expansion in next few months. that's why...

it is basically supposed to run 1 piece of software written in python. i don't really want to disclose its functionality, because some may find it inappropriate.. eehh,, who cares, right? the software runs its own mozilla based browser with JS support, so as to imitate human behavior and scan some pages on facebook or youtube and extract data that is only given via JS.

anyways, every time there's a request, software starts new process with its own browser, thus with dozens of simultaneous requests, it spikes to a possible 100-150 CPU load. interestingly, html pages still load pretty fast even with that high load... although for the most part, load stays within 1-2, with 40-50% 2 Core CPU constant usage, cause it also serves pages to about 70k users daily.. including some php too...

i understood there's an escalation ladder and you get more resources with more CPU power, thus was curious if plain customization is possible...

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

Sounds like traffic exchange or other black hat scraping, and we don't do that here. But dedicated servers are better than VPS when you need lots of CPU. Hetzner auction is about the cheapest place.

Thanked by 2cubedata Aluminat
  • i am not sure what you mean by traffic exchange. my sites are pure SEO and all traffic comes from google and other search engines. i mean, i tried to obfuscate the functionality but now it looks like something illegal... no, the process simply looks up video pages to isolate the audio and then scan it for certain audio patterns, basically like shazam for long concert performances, making tracklists of what DJs play at festivals and clubs..

• so besides needing that software, i also have ffmpeg doing lots of audio processing.. but thanks to good programmers, these programs need little RAM..

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

Hetzner auction is usually the cheapest place to get dedicated servers with lots of cpu. E3 and i7 dedis will have faster (but fewer) cores than huge many-core servers usually do. Currently you can get one with 4 cores and 16GB of ram for around 26 euro/m incl. DE VAT which is fantastic. On a dedi there is no problem running all the cores 100% 24/7 so they are much more pleasant to use than VPS.

You are probably fine with hard drives instead of SSD given that there will be plenty of ram for disk caching. Try here:

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

• got it, thanks!

• CallumACallumA Member

What kind of network do you need? If relatively slow (like 30 down/ 15 up) I can host you in my shed. 16 cores/4GB RAM (or 8GB, not sure) with some USB sticks for drives.

• SergueiKireevSergueiKireev Member
    edited May 2018

@CallumA said:
    What kind of network do you need? If relatively slow (like 30 down/ 15 up) I can host you in my shed. 16 cores/4GB RAM (or 8GB, not sure) with some USB sticks for drives.

has to be fast, there's quite a bit of data exchange. that's the main reason i was running it right on the VPS with the sites that use it... thanks for the offer though!!

• Pick up one of those 22.69 euro auciton dedis from Hetzner https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/

3.9Ghz single core on Turbo + 32 GB ram.

If RAM page caching doesn't cut it for your video file analysis, switch to SSD models for about 31-33Euro on same auction.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Might be a bad question, but do the requests need to run immediately? Would throttling work for you, i.e. queue them and run small batches at a time?

• RolterRolter Member
    edited May 2018

If you write your own code , you could try nodejs (casperjs) or python with beautiful soup. Both of them have good js capabilities when crawling webpages.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@SergueiKireev said:
    my sites are pure SEO

Supporting SEO? Thanks no.