Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a vps with desktop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a vps with desktop

seenuseenu Member

Hello,

i need a vps with desktop,

i just need to open a browser window in it...so minimum specs will be fine.

PS: i tried writing same code using node but its a PITA and its consuming too much cpu resources.

PS2: if we can somehow run a desktop in existing vps continously...then i can use my existing ones.

thanks.

Comments

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

RDP, lxde, xfce.
    Google the one you fancy, and run with it.

• seenuseenu Member
    edited May 2018

i have vps at subnetlabs

and they provide only minimal OS for ubuntu etc only exception is Fedora 23 standard.

i have one server at ovh....can i use desktop there?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@seenu said:
    i have vps at subnetlabs

and they provide only minimal OS for ubuntu etc only exception is Fedora 23 standard.

apt-get install -y whatever packages you ever dreamed of having on your vps

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2018

At first, it seem that you don;'t know how to manage a vps. This is an issue because in any issue you 'll face (security, high resources etc.) you will not be able to troubleshot it.

Not, in topic: a minimal OS is the best to install there a desktop. You have not told us witch are the specs of the vps you have.
    Let's say it is a minimal vps (having though at least 512 MB memory). here are some instructions for Ubuntu 16.04:

apt-get update && apt-get install xrdp xfce4  
    echo "xfce4-session” > ~/.xsession  
    ufw allow 3389  
    systemctl enable xrdp && systemctl start xrdp  

This is the default protocol for having your vps controled with Remote Desktop protocol (on a Windows machine). You open Remote Destkop Management on your windows pc, enter the ip of the vps. As user enter your user you use on the vps, or root if you just have a root account. Enter the password when prompted, and, voila!

It's so easy...

• Sure, If that works for you . You can try that, in case it fullfill your needs.
    Ubuntu Desktop is recommended.

@seenu said:
    i have vps at subnetlabs

i have one server at ovh....can i use desktop there?

• https://www.cendio.com/ - Free for upto 5 concurrent connections, it's the one I've found to work most consistently out of the terminal server/remote desktop solutions for Linux.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • Maybe something from wishosting would be good for you. Enough RAM and intelligent CPU throttling (based on usage by ALL node users)

Thanked by 1seenu