Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone use Route53 Amazon AWS geoDNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone use Route53 Amazon AWS geoDNS?

Hello does anyone use Route53 Amazon AWS geoDNS?

I am looking to use to for 3VPS but I am wondering if I need to pay 50$/month to use their flow policies.

I want to use 3 VPS, EU, NA, Asia and set up geoDNS for VPS.

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

I am looking to use to for 3VPS but I am wondering if I need to pay 50$/month to use their flow policies.

You don't.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

You don't need to use Route53's Flow policies at all to use Route53 GeoDNS. I used Route53 GeoDNS for 4+ yrs and never had to use Flow policies. Though now I recently moved to Cloudflare https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centminmod-com-dns-update.14784/ :)

Thanked by 1vovler
  • @eva2000 why you have moved to Cloudfrare?
    Is it cheaper than Amazon?

How much cost Cloudflare?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Cloudflare dns is free for non geodns on free plan and on pro for WAF firewall $20/month while dns is still free for non geodns

For geodns/geo routing load balancing on cloudflare can cost more depending on number of origins and regions you want to use https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005254367-Billing-for-Load-Balancing

• vovlervovler Member

@eva2000 said:
    Cloudflare dns is free for non geodns on free plan and on pro for WAF firewall $20/month while dns is still free for non geodns

For geodns/geo routing load balancing on cloudflare can cost more depending on number of origins and regions you want to use https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005254367-Billing-for-Load-Balancing

What are you doing with all the other VPS/Dedis you had in multiple regions? Took them down?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@vovler said:

What are you doing with all the other VPS/Dedis you had in multiple regions? Took them down?

USA ones are in DNS round robin for now probably keep some as backup failovers with scripted API dns switchovers for now.

• What will be the best solution (cost effective) for 2 or 3-4 VPS ?

• vovlervovler Member

As we discussed in a previous thread created by the OP

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/143747/geodns-cheap-provider

The best price per buck is NS1, since it has a free plan.
    Then, the pay as you go approach of Route53.

• Used R53 in the past, paid per-request only and no flow policies, geo-routing was done just fine.

• adamus007padamus007p Member
    edited May 2018

@vocler how this queries are counted? can we assume that queries = number of page view?
    Then, the pay as you go approach of Route53.
    I am wondering why @eva2000 moved to Cloudflare.

@sundaymouse I need to sit more time and check how to set up, or find some turial.
    sundaymouse do you use Route53 now?

question about mutiple VPS.
    Which method for database will be the best. Master slave or master master.
    The fastest will be i guess master-slave, what about backups, performance, what are prons and cons?
    Here I have found nice artice https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-master-slave-replication-in-mysql

I don't want to promote this service but I will possible try it.

Localization of VPS, how much localization I should consider and where. This is small project so I am thinking about min 2, or 3.
    1st Germany, 2nd I think about New York, 3nd LA.
    I am wondering if LA will be OK for Australia or I should consider to add next one for Sydney.
    Asia: Singapure or Japan.

I am thinking about minimum nr of VPS and achieve the best performance.

• vovlervovler Member

@adamus007p said:
    @vocler how this queries are counted? can we assume that queries = number of page view?

No, it's only when the people that is trying to access your website without having your website IP cached.

Tecnically, the higher the TTL, the lower the number of queries, as the cache takes longer to expire.

Let's say you have set your TTL to 1h, one visitor, will perform 1 query the first time they open your website, all the page views for the next 1h will not perform DNS queries.
    (unless they clear the cache or change to another device)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

adamus007p said: I am wondering why @eva2000 moved to Cloudflare.

Cost savings was main reason Amazon Route53 GeoDNS with ~2.5 million dns queries per month and various Route53 fast health checks was costing me ~US$25/month. Moving to Cloudflare non-geoDNS DNS is free.

Cloudflare's paid loadbalancing with georouting based DNS costs are based on number of origins and geo regions you setup. So for your simple 3 origins might be cheaper than for me where i have at least 8 origins and 11 geo regions in play. With number of origins and geo regions I use I would be forced onto Cloudflare Enterprise plan based on my calculations here.

The cost at Cloudflare loadbalanced/geodns if i had to move the reduced number of origins/Route53 geodns setup over would be:

• I have 8 origins used across 11 geo regions so for Cloudflare non-enterprise is limited to 6 origins and 8 health check regions so need to reduce number of origins/geo regions
    • so non-enterprise cost for 6 origins max = $15/month + 15s interval $15/month + max 8 health check regions $15/month + Geo routing $10/month = $55/month
    Thanked by 1Aidan
  • sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited May 2018

@adamus007p said:
    @sundaymouse I need to sit more time and check how to set up, or find some turial.
    sundaymouse do you use Route53 now?

Nope, the use case for it is gone, it's been around two years.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited May 2018

adamus007p said: I am thinking about minimum nr of VPS and achieve the best performance.

Best performance for what ? In load balanced VPSes, performance is only as good as the individual VPSes in play (for anything other than latency response times). For each geographic region you could also add a loadbalanced setup using nginx or haproxy too to boost performance.

For me I only used GeoDNS cluster and multiple geographically located VPSes (11 different city based origins in London, Singapore, Tokyo, Los Angeles, Seattle, Dallas, New York/New Jersey, Sydney and Melbourne) for pagespeed latency response times as they related to SpeedIndex (perceived visual page render times). My AWS Route53 GeoDNS VPSes setup for pagespeed latency times was still faster than Cloudflare Pro CDN proxy when I tested way back.

I did Webpagetest tests and compared AWS Route53 GeoDNS with my 11 different city based origins vs Cloudflare Std CDN vs Cloudflare Loadbalanced GeoDNS here. From fastest to slowest for my focused on geographic regions based on my site's top geographic visitor profiles, was AWS Route53 GeoDNS > Cloudflare Loadbalancer/GeoDNS > Cloudflare Std CDN.

But Cloudflare now has 151 datacenters so improvements and cost savings was worth moving over to now. If funding for Centmin Mod picks up I would look at revisiting/using Cloudflare load balancing and geo routing again https://www.cloudflare.com/load-balancing/ as that would be next step up above standard Cloudflare CDN usage.

Another option to look at Constellix Geo Proximity based DNS services by folks who created DNSMadeEasy. I tested AWS Route53 GeoDNS, Cloudflare Loadbalancer/Georouting DNS, Constellix Geo Proximity DNS and Rage4 GeoDNS. Fastest on pure DNS level was Constellix Geo Proximity DNS but it can get more expensive than AWS Route53 even.

Comparison at https://constellix.com/pricing/dns/price-comparison/. Costly part of GeoDNS isn't DNS itself but associated health check/failover costs if any which factor into overall costs.

Best advice, try all the service providers yourself and see which is best for your needs. That is only way to know which is suited for your needs.

But best thing about Cloudflare is the added CDN/WAF on top of DNS features.

edited May 2018

@vovler thank you for the explanation. It's make sense.

@sundaymouse thank you for answer.

@eva2000
    What about CDN performance in free Cloudflare account compare to paid Amazon AWS?
    Is there any difference? I assume that pro account Cloudflare will be faster.
    I assume using all edges in Amazon. Have you make any tests to compare it?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

For CDN, yes Cloudflare usually faster than Amazon AWS Cloudfront CDN service and cheaper too :)

edited May 2018

The primary benefit of using something like AWS Route53 is the integration with their other products and their API. CloudFlare can be faster, but when you are using other AWS services such as CloudFront or EC2, it's more convenient to use Route53.

• @eva2000 what database solution will be the best for my case.

For 3-4VPS. Master-slave replication or using cluster?
    I use mariadb 10.2

I am thinking about https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/what-is-mariadb-galera-cluster/

Is there any recommendations from you guys?

@adamus007p said:
    @eva2000 what database solution will be the best for my case.

For 3-4VPS. Master-slave replication or using cluster?
    I use mariadb 10.2

I am thinking about https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/what-is-mariadb-galera-cluster/

Is there any recommendations from you guys?

Depends on your app. If you need to do writes, you need multi-master / master-master.

• In my case this is an ecommerce. I am wondering what are you using in your needs and what is your app.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited May 2018

@FHR statement is correct depends on your web app/script as not all web app/scripts would natively support all methods of mysql cluster/replication so might not be able to utilise it. Best to try them all and see which works with your web app/script. What works for one person might not be bested suited to your needs.

I use mainly MariaDB mysql replication or Tungsten Replication component of Tungsten Clustering https://www.continuent.com/solutions/

http://docs.continuent.com/tungsten-replicator-5.2-oss/introduction-replicator.html

Tungsten Replicator is an open source high performance replication engine that works with a number of different source and target databases to provide high-performance and improved replication functionality over the native solution. With MySQL replication, for example, the enhanced functionality and information provided by Tungsten Replicator allows for global transaction IDs, advanced topology support such as multi-master, star, and fan-in, and enhanced latency identification.

In addition to providing enhanced functionality Tungsten Replicator is also capable of heterogeneous replication by enabling the replicated information to be transformed after it has been read from the data server to match the functionality or structure in the target server. This functionality allows for replication between MySQL, Oracle, and Vertica, among others.

Tungsten Replicator allows replication into the follow targets

• MongoDB
    • MySQL, including Amazon RDS targets
    • Oracle
    • HPE Vertica
    • Hadoop, compatible with all major distributions
    • Amazon RedShift
    • Apache Kafka
    • Apache Cassandra
    • Elasticsearch
  • @eva2000 thank you for resources I will read and test it.

I am testing at the moment https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/getting-started-with-mariadb-galera-cluster/

Mariadb 10.2

is there anyone have any experience?

edited May 2018

how it looks with SSL when I want to use e.g ns1.com or Route53 geoDNS?

I read info on net but it is not clear... Do I need to buy any extra SSL?

domain.com
    IP1
    IP2
    IP2

how can I manage it?

At the moment I am using Let's crypt, but it works with single IP and domain.

Thank you for help any guidance in advance.

@adamus007p said:
    how it looks with SSL when I want to use e.g ns1.com or Route53 geoDNS?

I read info on net but it is not clear... Do I need to buy any extra SSL?

domain.com
    IP1
    IP2
    IP2

how can I manage it?

At the moment I am using Let's crypt, but it works with single IP and domain.

Thank you for help any guidance in advance.

SSL certificates are bound to the domain name itself (Common Name & Subject Alternate Names), not to IPs.
    You'll want to use Let's Encrypt's DNS validation though.

edited May 2018

@eva2000 is it possible to use Galera cluster MariaDB for VPS in different locations?

At the moment I have configured it but I don't know why it is working so slow.

I am wondering if am I doing something wrong or this is dedicated for HA servers but in the same DC.

Basically I want to use prestashop and install it on different VPS.

Any advises? I have searched the Internet but I did not found any similar cases to mine.

PS.
    I use mainly MariaDB mysql replication
    You mean master-slave config?
    Do you use Galera Cluster?

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited May 2018

FYI, route53 charged me this amount last month for a casual site.

Amazon Route 53 DNS-Queries
    $0.40 per 1,000,000 queries for the first 1 Billion queries
    129 Queries
    $0.01

Amazon Route 53 Geo-Queries
    $0.70 per 1,000,000 Geo queries for the first 1 Billion Geo queries
    271 Queries
    $0.01

Amazon Route 53 HostedZone
    $0.50 per Hosted Zone for the first 25 Hosted Zones
    1 HostedZone
    $0.50

Total of 52 cents.

Thanked by 1adamus007p
  • vovlervovler Member
    edited May 2018

@msg7086 said:
    FYI, route53 charged me this amount last month for a casual site.

Amazon Route 53 DNS-Queries
    $0.40 per 1,000,000 queries for the first 1 Billion queries
    129 Queries
    $0.01

Amazon Route 53 Geo-Queries
    $0.70 per 1,000,000 Geo queries for the first 1 Billion Geo queries
    271 Queries
    $0.01

Amazon Route 53 HostedZone
    $0.50 per Hosted Zone for the first 25 Hosted Zones
    1 HostedZone
    $0.50

Total of 52 cents.

Pay as you go FTW :)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

adamus007p said: is it possible to use Galera cluster MariaDB for VPS in different locations?

Yes it's possible but you'll need more that just Galera if you want to do a multi-datacenter WAN based Galera cluster including a MySQL proxy layer(s) so you may end up blowing out to 5+ servers. So really start with small baby steps/configs. But whatever you use will not necessarily perform well without tuning and optimisation and benchmarking/monitoring at server hardware, system, mysql and application layers. So you have a long way to go in terms of reading and learning.

edited May 2018

So you have a long way to go in terms of reading and learning. I see that there is a lot of knowlegle, but maybe is there any other solutions, easier.

@eva2000 and other experienced colleagues so what is the best solution for ecommerce? I mean multiple VPS in different countries?

Master-slave something like that https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-master-slave-replication-in-mysql ?

or master-master/ multi master or some cluster solutions?

• vovlervovler Member

@adamus007p said:
    So you have a long way to go in terms of reading and learning. I see that there is a lot of knowlegle, but maybe is there any other solutions, easier.

@eva2000 and other experienced colleagues so what is the best solution for ecommerce? I mean multiple VPS in different countries?

Master-slave something like that https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-master-slave-replication-in-mysql ?

or master-master/ multi master or some cluster solutions?

If it's a small ecommerce website, host it somewhere in the middle of your target audience, and use a CDN for the images/css/js

Thanked by 1FHR