Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS has a new 2GB yearly offer (email) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS has a new 2GB yearly offer (email)

2»

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

0 problem while I was a customer.

• @FtpIt_Radi said:
    0 problem while I was a customer.

"While" you were a customer? FtpIT currently rents some of their servers from ChicagoVPS don't they (this statement based on the fact that the FtpIT website's IP WHOIS shows "New Wave Netconnect")?

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Yea, but I was speaking for the time when I had a VPS with them.

• Most of all I like the fact that their clownboy joke of a CEO Chris Fabozzi was working as a salesboy at Kohl's as recently as January 2013 while claiming to be a giant of the hosting industry.

Heaven forbid someone work a job outside of the company they're running.

• top - 01:43:01 up 93 days

pretty good for a $30/year... Never had a problem with them either...

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for all the support guys..... Its nice to finally see the people that are happy speak up. Its the same 10-20 clients always bashing. Quite sad really.

Anyway thanks again!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I also was happy with the cvps vps I had some 2 years ago. Also urpad does a good job for the money.
    Hacks are one thing, though, losing back-ups is another. It is best to say you do not take back-ups and still do for selected services or give customers free ftp space to do it themselves, even if you have good and secure disaster recovery systems. That way they will not be able to blame the host for their carelessness. Everyone knows data you care about has to have recent backups.

• emgemg Veteran

@CVPS_Chris said:
    Thanks for all the support guys..... Its nice to finally see the people that are happy speak up. Its the same 10-20 clients always bashing. Quite sad really.

Anyway thanks again!

Sorry, but 10-20 actively dissatisfied clients on one website seems like a lot to me. I wonder how many dissatisfied clients simply gave up and moved on without posting anything. The clear value of CVPS offers has been tempting, but CVPS's long history of issues and complaints here on LET and LEB made me shy away. It would take a long period of uninterrupted reliable service before I would consider signing up with CVPS.

• @Maounique said:
    I also was happy with the cvps vps I had some 2 years ago. Also urpad does a good job for the money.
    Hacks are one thing, though, losing back-ups is another. It is best to say you do not take back-ups and still do for selected services or give customers free ftp space to do it themselves, even if you have good and secure disaster recovery systems. That way they will not be able to blame the host for their carelessness. Everyone knows data you care about has to have recent backups.

+1

• @emg said:
    It would take a long period of uninterrupted reliable service

How much money are you willing to pay for a long period of uninterrupted reliable service?

• How much money are you willing to pay for a long period of uninterrupted reliable service?

It's not a question of how much the service costs. It's a question of the technical competence of the people running the service. There are low end providers whose plans are priced similarly to CVPS (and in some cases lower) who have far better uptime and provide a much more reliable service, and the reason their service is more reliable has nothing to do with price and everything to do with the technical competence of the people running the service.

• @DomainBop said:
    It's not a question of how much the service costs.

Nah. Costs are built into the LET/LEB rules, it's one of the principal determining factors of who makes offers here.

@DomainBop said:
    It's a question of the technical competence of the people running the service.

Competence does matter. Who here is fit to judge competence of pseudo-random people on the internet? Digest that for a minute. Think about it, do you actually believe that you can determine true competence by engaging in a $7 transaction with someone over the Internet?

@DomainBop said:
    There are low end providers whose plans are priced similarly to CVPS (and in some cases lower) who have far better uptime and provide a much more reliable service,...

Because we all know that uptime is the true measure of an awesome service. Right....

@DomainBop said:
    ... and the reason their service is more reliable has nothing to do with price and everything to do with the technical competence of the people running the service.

Why do you get to decide that? I'm not saying that you are right or wrong, but why do you get to decide that technical competence equates to overall service reliability? And further, does any service degradation, of any sort, immediately indicate incompetence of a service provider?

Wide brushes and such.....

edited October 2013

@emg you do realize that 20 clients are less than .001 of our client base? What history are you talking about exactly? Yes there were two compromises both due to SolusVM incompetence of coding a product that left ChicagoVPS and many other companies hung out to dry. Your listening too much to the nonsense that is spewed from people that know nothing about what they are talking about, but are just here to try and hurt our reputation.

@Domainbop, I really think its time to move on. Again, you are saying things that are not true to try and hurt our reputation. It would save us both time if you went your separate way.

@jimpop, let haters be haters. Its nice to see that there are people out there with common sense and understand that most of what is said doesn't even make sense.

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    emg you do realize that 20 clients are less than .001% of our client base?

Are you claiming to have more than 2 000 000 clients?

Thanked by 1DomainBop

@dnom, I am not sure where you got 2 million from? I suppose you are unable to do simple math. Also @DomainBop you are just proving my point, you like to only see negatives without justification. By you thanking his comment you did not take the time to actually check his work and see if he was right.

I suggest both of you go and check your math again and maybe come out to a more reasonable and correct number.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited October 2013

@CVPS_Chris said:
    dnom, I am not sure where you got 2 million from? I suppose you are unable to do simple math. Also DomainBop you are just proving my point, you like to only see negatives without justification. By you thanking his comment you did not take the time to actually check his work and see if he was right.

I suggest both of you go and check your math again and maybe come out to a more reasonable and correct number.

His math is correct. 20 is 0.001% of 2,000,000. You said

you do realize that 20 clients are less than .001% of our client base?

20/20000=0.001 but that "0.001" is not a percentage. Multiply it by 100 if you want the percentage of your customers. 20 customers out of 20000 total is 0.1% not 0.001%.

@DomainBop you are still wrong and continue to amuse me and make my point.

By your math you just said 20 is 10% of 20000, which again is incorrect. I feel sorry for your math teacher.

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    DomainBop you are still wrong and continue to amuse me and make my point.

By your math you just said 20 is 10% of 20000, which again is incorrect. I feel sorry for your math teacher.

I take it that besides scoring low on your math SAT's you also scored low on reading comprehension. I said

20/20000=0.001 but that "0.001" is not a percentage. Multiply it by 100 if you want the percentage of your customers. 20 customers out of 20000 total is 0.1% not 0.001%.

some more basic math for you 0.001 x 100 =0.1

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2013

@CVPS_Chris said:
    you do realize that 20 clients are less than .001% of our client base?

Lets to math so that even little kids can understand it :)

20 clients = 0.001% (that's what you say)
    200 clients = 0.01% (*10)
    2,000 clients = 0.1% (*10)
    20,000 clients = 1% (*10)
    200,000 clients = 10% (*10)
    2,000,000 clients = 100% (*10)

There we go, @CVPS_Chris officially said that ChicagoVPS has more than 2 million clients :)

btw Chris you also have some degree in business, correct?

edited October 2013

I just checked this on my computer and you are right. For some reason the % sign on my phone was being left out which made a discrepancy in our posts. My apologies. I have corrected it above.

Yes I just apologized.

Thanked by 1DomainBop
  • had various plan with cvps since their first 2gb offering. And right now hogging on the 30 dollar yearly which tbh is unbeatable in a balance of price and spec. Yes, it does have it own downs... latency to some places especially non us is quite low and providers like ramnode may blow them out of the water in speed test. But strangely it has one of the lowest ping from my terrible isp north of the border.

But people who are crying foul about oversold 10x and slow disk I have yet to see any of those... This is a vps that I have almost a year. It is not ground breaking fast but I am happy as it is not disrupting my usage.

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.16508 s, 174 MB/s

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    btw Chris you also have some degree in business, correct?

lolx, 2 million clients!

his degree; the good old "BS in BS"

• jimpopjimpop Member
    edited October 2013

@belinik said:
    But people who are crying foul about oversold 10x and slow disk I have yet to see any of those...

Same here. I have 5 in-production hosts with CVPS, 2 in LAX, 1 in DFW, 1 in ORD, and 1 in BUF. I've never had any slow disk issues, or any suspicion of overselling. Yes there are occasional network issues with Quadranet in LAX (LA, in general, sucks for consistent data throughput, imho)

Here's the specs of the nodes I have at CVPS

bwth cpu bits mem disk disk i/o fs kernel
    2TB [email protected] GHz 32 2GB 50GB 238 MB/s OVZ reiserfs ovz
    2TB [email protected] GHz 32 2GB 50GB 238 MB/s OVZ reiserfs ovz
    2TB [email protected] GHz 32 2GB 50GB 359 MB/s OVZ simfs ovz
    2TB [email protected] GHz 32 2GB 50GB 225 MB/s OVZ reiserfs ovz
    2TB [email protected] GHz 32 1.5GB 30GB SSD 681 MB/s KVM ext4 debian

Quite nice.

TBH, I'd rather do business with someone who makes, and owns up to, a simple math error, than to do business with people who badger him near daily.

Edit: F'cking Markdown!

Thanked by 1seraphkz

Thank you for the kind words, its refreshing

• I have to echo the 10/20 dissatisfied clients. I've had nothing but problems with chicago vps since I joined. Even as we speak my vps is down and I can't boot it up as the "Client Area" shows a connection problem.

If you have a choice, I'm sure there are other better services

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

On my production server:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.38369 s, 114 MB/s
    uptime
     10:54:35 up 102 days, 5 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.37, 0.27, 0.17

Happy with them. I dont think Chris is an assh*, I think he is just replying to several aggressions.

Support? Don't try on weekends, they are very slow, but in weekdays they are fast.

• akzakz Member

I wouldnt mind downgrading my current vm on their chicago node to this offer just to keep it around as a test box when my year is up. I will have to say since their re design they have improved on their uptime however are still behind the pack of my other vms but for the price I am paying I dont expect it to be rock solid.

• C_AdamC_Adam Member
    edited October 2013

Here is my CVPS ($15/mo 3GB plan):

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 17.5103 s, 61.3 MB/s

It randomly rebooted about 2 weeks ago. I do not know why, and it is a clean OS install that basically idles. Have not been able to trust it really since the big meltdown earlier this summer and switched to RamNode. My ticket response was basically "we don't know why it randomly shuts down, so we reinstalled your OS" with no regard to the data that was on there.

Interestingly enough, here's my $12/year SemoWeb:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.15938 s, **926 MB/s**