Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setup L2TP VPN on CentOS/Ubuntu without Pre-shared Key
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setup L2TP VPN on CentOS/Ubuntu without Pre-shared Key

edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member

Hello,

Can anyone give me a guide from somewhere on how to setup L2TP without requiring clients for a pre-shared key? There are many install scripts available online and it works but it requires clients to have a pre-shared key. Unfortunately, my ISP gave me a locked router than can only connect to L2TP with username and password. I hope someone here can help me.

Comments

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Just google something like "setup l2tp without ipsec"

Thanked by 1edoarudo5
  • Uh, you can literally use the exact same scripts that people use for L2TP/IPSec setups. Just enter any random IPSec Pre-Shared Secret and when it comes time to use it, just skip over the part where a IPSec PSK is required.

Just also make sure that UDP port 1701 isn't filtered and you're good to go.

If I can remember correctly, xl2tpd allows any machine to establish a L2TP connection without establishing an IPSec Security Association.

Thanked by 1edoarudo5
  • Thanks guys. Will go with the L2TP without IPSec.

• An update. I set it up correctly with SoftEther on Windows Server 2016 using SecureNAT.

Another problem I have is that my ISP only has IPv4, any chance I can get IPv6 to work on my internet connection using SoftEther's SecureNAT?

• You should be able to create an ipv6 router on Windows server by enabling the rras feature and assigning it an ipv6 subnet supplied by your provider.

Thanked by 1edoarudo5
  • edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited May 2018

@TriJetScud said:
    You should be able to create an ipv6 router on Windows server by enabling the rras feature and assigning it an ipv6 subnet supplied by your provider.

I did but could not get IPv6 internet to work on the client-side... Anyone here have a good guide for client without IPv6 to connect to IPv6 over IPv4 remotely?

• Nevermind, I managed to do it on Ubuntu using OpenVPN. Finally figured it out after so long.

• sureiamsureiam Member

@edoarudo5 said:
    Nevermind, I managed to do it on Ubuntu using OpenVPN. Finally figured it out after so long.

Yup when in doubt go with open source solutions with solid documentation :)

Thanked by 1edoarudo5