Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of VPN for Airplane WiFi? (~100 Mbps planewide satelite connection)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What kind of VPN for Airplane WiFi? (~100 Mbps planewide satelite connection)

stefemanstefeman Member
edited May 2018 in General

The airplane company blocks selectively services like Netflix and Whatsapp sound calls due limited bandwidth on air. My question is mainly, how to get around this with VPN connection.

I wish to listen Spotify or watch Youtube/Twitch at 360-480p resolution on the 10 hours flight. I'm fairly sure VPN's are blocked or at least heavily restricted to remote drives/company networks only.

What do I need to be able to enjoy Spotify, Youtube and twitch.tv on flight? I was thinking of this: https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/chameleon

My Android is rooted.

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2018

If a VPN unblocks it I guess Ivacy will work just fine. Vypr is said to be "premium" but I never liked it for some reason.

If you are looking for something chameleon like/obfusion, NordVPN has obfusion/doublevpn and vpn over tor. LiquidVPN (never tested) has some sorts multihop page loading, loadibg each element of a website with another IP and Perfect Privacy has Neuro Routing.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So, why do you want to circumvent the measures ensuring good quality of service for all other pssangers?

Don’t be abusive.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
  • AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

@deank said:
    Is this why we can't have nice things for everyone?

Probably

Thanked by 2Clouvider Ole_Juul
  • RamiRami Member

@stefeman said:
    due limited bandwidth on air.

Then it's not right to use VPN, it's like stealing from other passengers (Just my opinion)

• HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited May 2018

@Clouvider said:
    So, why do you want to circumvent the measures ensuring good quality of service for all other pssangers?

Don’t be abusive.

This, we just rolled out free Wi-Fi to visitors and within a 24-hr period generally see 2K or so people within a 24-hr period, give or take and they're all sharing a 1G connection never-mind 200-300 people stashed into a confined space.

For the purposes of licensing etc we've disabled iPlayer etc and honestly I've tried to overcome the restrictions with all kinds of VPN and it depends on the provider of the service but I personally cannot get past the one we've installed using all types or method. If they're a good provider (which is likely in the Areospace industry) then you'll really struggle and in my honest opinion I see your point and need but why should others suffer and be unable to use it because one user is consuming all the limited bandwidth? Try downloading things from spotify/netflix to a device prior to the flight.

They're also likely to have enabled QoS per user at such a limited rate you'll struggle to stream anything as it's based on the MAC of the device.

Stefeman, if I remember correctly, was the one looking to mine BTC on the employer provided electricity so there’s that.

Thanked by 1SillyGoose
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2018

@Clouvider said:
    Stefeman, if I remember correctly, was the one looking to mine BTC on the employer provided electricity so there’s that.

No, I was the one who insisted it being wrong.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/127490/will-you-start-bitcoin-mining-if-power-is-free

How about you check before accusing me of such things. Takes 2 minutes to google the thread with keywords "stefeman lowendtalk bitcoin electrcity".

• @HyperSpeed said:

This, we just rolled out free Wi-Fi to visitors and within a 24-hr period generally see 2K or so people within a 24-hr period, give or take and they're all sharing a 1G connection never-mind 200-300 people stashed into a confined space.

For the purposes of licensing etc we've disabled iPlayer etc and honestly I've tried to overcome the restrictions with all kinds of VPN and it depends on the provider of the service but I personally cannot get past the one we've installed using all types or method. If they're a good provider (which is likely in the Areospace industry) then you'll really struggle and in my honest opinion I see your point and need but why should others suffer and be unable to use it because one user is consuming all the limited bandwidth? Try downloading things from spotify/netflix to a device prior to the flight.

They're also likely to have enabled QOS per user at such a limited rate you'll struggle to stream anything as it's based on the MAC of the device.

If its based on MAC of the device, which I'm also pretty sure it is, then anything I would attempt to gain more bandwidth is futile anyhow. Reason I asked here is because if any other people had similar experiences or even tried this. And another reason being figuring the cons of doing this.

@stefeman said:

@Clouvider said:

No, I was the one who insisted it being wrong.

Please accept my apologies. I’m not afraid to say sorry when a mistake is made.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Accept my apologies as well, for saying "The end is nigh" too many times.

Oh, buggers. I've said it once more.

The end is nigh.

Aw, crap.

Outta here.

Thanked by 2Otus9051 ralf
  • hacktekhacktek Member

lol just download and watch offline. Is it that hard to do before you take your flight? If there's one thing I hate about planes/hotels is not being able to browse in peace cause there's some jackass abusing the hell out of bandwidth for no reason other than being a jackass

• corbpiecorbpie Member

@Clouvider said:

Don’t be abusive.

Its lowend talk, let the people have what they want. I'd prefer to go to WHT to read about a user being scolded for inconsiderate usage

• '10 uninterrupted hours' is a hackers wet dream in 2018. Pack some interesting language/library/framework 's tutorial + documentation before you board.

For music, I still treasure my Sansa Clip pre-loaded with my favourite albums and an audiobook if I'm desperate enough.

I'm just an older millenial though.

• Why not use Spotify’s download function? You’ll 1) save some of the plane’s limited bandwidth and 2) have music even if the link goes down.

• @doghouch said:
    Why not use Spotify’s download function? You’ll 1) save some of the plane’s limited bandwidth and 2) have music even if the link goes down.

but, but, then other passengers will be able to access internet too

Thanked by 1ralf

@corbpie said:

@Clouvider said:

Don’t be abusive.

Its lowend talk, let the people have what they want. I'd prefer to go to WHT to read about a user being scolded for inconsiderate usage

Your preference is dully noted.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • solairesolaire Member

Netflix can usually be accessed through different means (the screen right in front of you).

It's very simple to get a VPN connection in place by using openvpn over port 443, TCP. But as mentioned before, don't be a dick and don't abuse the bandwidth if no QoS is in place.

• Like others have said, download some things before you leave. That way you'll not have any BW issues and it'll be a good experience. Just use the available bandwidth to check email and, of course, IRC. :)

Thanked by 2Clouvider that_guy
  • I know you can get a free ssh tunnel around the captive portal with iodine on trans atlantic flights :)

But to abuse it with high BW? Nah, download upfront man.

• As a rule, if I'm a few miles up in the air in a hurtling tin-can I'm inclined to follow whatever rules the airline makes.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ahmiqahmiq Member

do they really block it? atleast on Lufthansa you pay like 16 Euro for the whole intercontinental flight and whatsapp / youtube worked fine most of the time. No data limits on this package. may be other airlines have different packages.

• @ahmiq said:
    do they really block it? atleast on Lufthansa you pay like 16 Euro for the whole intercontinental flight and whatsapp / youtube worked fine most of the time. No data limits on this package. may be other airlines have different packages.

Probably, it's not like you can tie a fibre optic cable to the plane so bandwidth tends to be limited and/or expensive.

• Quite humbling to read crap like "stealing from other passengers". QoS rules are usually enforced on a per-device basis, so whether that's a VPN streaming from Spotify or a file download without VPN - it does not matter at the slightest.

@florianb said:
    Quite humbling to read crap like "stealing from other passengers". QoS rules are usually enforced on a per-device basis, so whether that's a VPN streaming from Spotify or a file download without VPN - it does not matter at the slightest.

It matters. They don’t want you to access these services. You sign a contract and use the service as they offer. If you try to override the block you’re playing against the rules = you abuse.

Not that I’m surprised with your stance here though.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OP is about to discover that VPN is not a magic get-out-of-QoS card. Gogo or whoever is just not going to let you stream.

I also suspect you’re not the first to try this and the CCIEs at the airline wifi company are well prepared.

OP is about to discover that being a Dick doesn’t pay.

If we were cruel, we’d give detailed bogus instructions and then let the OP suffer with an airline magazine for 10 hours...

• @raindog308 said:

If we were cruel, we’d give detailed bogus instructions and then let the OP suffer with an airline magazine for 10 hours...

I might be dick but not an idiot to fall for those.

• @dragon2611 said:

@ahmiq said:

Probably, it's not like you can tie a fibre optic cable to the plane so bandwidth tends to be limited and/or expensive.

Pfft.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

ahmiq said: do they really block it? atleast on Lufthansa you pay like 16 Euro for the whole intercontinental flight and whatsapp / youtube worked fine most of the time.

it depends on the air carrier. here's a list with all airlines that offer wifi on board and what the cost is for what usage;

https://www.edreams.com/blog/in-flight-wifi/

Thanked by 1ahmiq