Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated provider OK with email marketing on a large scale
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated provider OK with email marketing on a large scale

I operate several websites and of them, three have very large (200,000+ emails) lists that I send to on a daily basis. Looking to take more control over my sending and deliverability.

Does anyone have any experience with this and any particular dedicated server providers? As usual, less is better lol.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2018

Double opt in ?

Data processed in accordance with GDPR?

It won’t do it on the cheap if you want quality and you need to know how to do it. It’s likely a service like Mailchimp will be a better option

Thanked by 1Sven
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2018

If they truly are genuine and unlikely to ever generate abuse reports then just use budget OVH/Kimsufi crap, even then though I expect someone like mailchimp or sendgrid will be cheaper and more reliable.

The very fact that you say 'marketing' suggests to me that you will actually deal with a ton of spam complaints in which case a dedicated server especially a budget one(s) is a terrible idea.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • teamaccteamacc Member

200k emails a day? I don't know of any service that emails me daily. If there was, I'd probably mark it as spam AND unsubscribe at the same time.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

teamacc said: 200k emails a day? I don't know of any service that emails me daily. If there was, I'd probably mark it as spam AND unsubscribe at the same time.

Its marketing... you know.. marketing:

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

My best guess is that the OP is looking for an alternative after having received spam complaints from his current provider.

(Frankly, I don't see how dedi vs VPS makes a big difference in this respect. The provider has to deal with spam complaints either way.)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

teamacc said: I don't know of any service that emails me daily. If there was, I'd probably mark it as spam

wish.com, and yeah you probably would :D

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Does e-mail marketing still work by the way?

I've been blocking any e-mail marketing for past 2 decades.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@deank said:

All I tend to get are facebook-clone sites with beautiful, semi-naked women on them. Never bought any of them though.

• williewillie Member

Are "email marketing" and "spam" somehow two different things?

edited May 2018

As far as I know, they aren't. They are exactly the same thing.

I don't even bother with that opt-out button at bottom because it basically confirms that the email address is active.

• @willie said:
    Are "email marketing" and "spam" somehow two different things?

Yes, very. Spam is just sending out emails to random people or the entirety of a mailing list at an unnecessary rate of regular intervals.

While email marketing uses analytics and user inputs to understand user expectations and send out updates or product information at a very nominal rate or at a transactional level.

Woothosting sending out mails about their products with the same exact pricing everyday is spam

AMD launching their new EPYC and Ryzen products entailing the advancements and features of the product in an email is marketing.

There is a fine line but one is irritating and the other is informative and/or productive.

@subhojitdutta said: @willie said: Are "email marketing" and "spam" somehow two different things?

Yes, very. Spam is just sending out emails to random people or the entirety of a mailing list at an unnecessary rate of regular intervals.

While email marketing uses analytics and user inputs to understand user expectations and send out updates or product information at a very nominal rate or at a transactional level.

For me at least, I consider any marketing emails that I didn't explicitly sign up for to be spam emails even if their content is somehow relevant to my interests.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

@jarland said:

teamacc said: I don't know of any service that emails me daily. If there was, I'd probably mark it as spam

wish.com, and yeah you probably would :D

Not just 1 email, but about 50 a day. Can get annoying as hell.

• Get Sendy and thank me later.

• Or buy Mailster, but it runs on WP.

• williewillie Member

subhojitdutta said: Yes, very. Spam is just sending out emails to random people or the entirety of a mailing list at an unnecessary rate of regular intervals.

While email marketing uses analytics and user inputs

I see, spammers don't pretend to care whether you want to read their spam, while marketers have some pretense that you might be interested. E.g. if the product is a money-making scheme, well, everyone wants to make money, so I can send it to everyone and it won't be spam. Not much of a difference between spam and marketing, IOW.

The jargon term for spam is UCE, unsolicited commercial email, where the key word is "unsolicited", i.e. the user didn't ask for it. If AMD emails people who subscribed through (e.g.) a web page (confirmed by double opt in of course), then fine, that's user input, but I don't see evidence that OP was talking about that. If the user didn't subscribe, it's spam, even if it's carefully targeted. In fact if it's targeted carefully enough, it's spearphishing ;).

A fact that OP sends 200,000 emails "on a daily basis" means it's spam.

The example of AMD, their e-mails would be legit as you stated, and they don't send out shitload of emails every day.

• Yes that is what I mean. 200000 is not much actually. I have a client which is a major energy drink in Europe and they have a user base of over 39000000 (3.9crores) opt in users just in APAC and GCC. They send much more than 500000+ mails a day due to marketing via various channels and on behalf of their subsidiaries. Yeah because of their big bucks though we use Amazon ses and sendgrid, not a random dedicated server but maybe OP can provide justification. With enough justification a provider may approve bulk email transactions.

True, 200,000 isn't much for big companies, but you don't see them coming to LET asking for advice, do you?

I don't think I saw a rep from Microsoft visiting LET for advice on emails.

Thanked by 3angstrom Clouvider imok

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the OP returned to carefully elaborate on his use case.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Clouvider said:
    Double opt in ?

Data processed in accordance with GDPR?

It won’t do it on the cheap if you want quality and you need to know how to do it. It’s likely a service like Mailchimp will be a better option

To everyone wondering... yes, absolutely legitimate. I've been sending to them on a daily basis for a year (varying as some new signups occur on a daily basis).

I run a political blog, do polls, giveaways, and standard "SIGN UP NOW TO STAY UP TO DATE" type stuff.

• underthegununderthegun Member
    edited May 2018

Also, 200,000 x 3 (so around 600,000 total) and I have clients I want to facilitate on my new platform. Here's the last 3 days, for anyone wondering, of my stats. Blurred out partial subjects cause I'm paranoid lol!

You'll see lower total send #s because I don't send to my full list every day. Maybe twice a week, but usually once a week.

Thanked by 2Junkless MasonR
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Holy crap. Someone asking for a server for mailing that actually looks legit. First time for everything I guess.

My opinion would be to talk to @Mailcheap - either looking at their SMTP relay service or perhaps working out something custom with them. If you're doing mailing for clients then you can pass on costs to them and get better delivery rates than a custom rolled solution.

https://www.mailcheap.co/smtprelays.html

• @teamacc said:

@deank said:

All I tend to get are facebook-clone sites with beautiful, semi-naked women on them. Never bought any of them though.

Hey, weren't those from me?