Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free server for anybody in Dallas, TX willing to pick it up.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free server for anybody in Dallas, TX willing to pick it up.

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

We have an old Dell PowerEdge 2950 hosted with QuadraNet in Dallas, TX that we no longer need and was wondering if anybody would like this server for free so we can avoid paying the disposal fees? If you're local and willing to go pick it up it's yours. Just reply or PM me that you want it and I'll coordinate with the data center for you to go pick it up.

LOCAL ONLY! No hardware will be shipped or delivered to you so if you cannot physically go to the data center to retrieve the server please do not reply.

Server is a really old 2U Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 2x X5355 CPUs, 16GB of DDR2 RAM, a PERC6 RAID controller, DRAC5, 2 PSUs, and 6x 146GB SAS drives.

Comments

• AntKalaAntKala Member

How much are the disposal fees for a server like this one?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

Just sent you a PM.

Thanks so much.

• EdmondEdmond Member

Too bad it's way out of my reach, I'd just plug it in for fun at home even if it's a really old thing, it could be used to become my basement datacenter!

• Edmond said: it could be used to become my basement datacenter!

Only if you like listening to a jet engine, and you like your basement temps to rise a few degrees because of the heat this thing puts out. I've got a PE2970 (AMD processors, but otherwise the same as a 2950) and that thing was hot, power hungry, and noisy as hell (even with the fan power supply resistor mod).

Thanked by 2willie KuJoe
  • @dev_vps said:
    Just sent you a PM.

Thanks so much.

I have 32GB RAM for that machine if you want it (eight 4GB modules) free.

• williewillie Member

@rajprakash I might also be interested in that ram? I have an old Opteron server in my kitchen that it could fit. Of course @dev_vps has firsties.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@willie said:
    @rajprakash I might also be interested in that ram? I have an old Opteron server in my kitchen that it could fit. Of course @dev_vps has firsties.

Thanks so much, @rajprakash

@willie - if it is ok with you, can I split the memory modules with you. This way, we both will get 16GB each.

Thanks, again

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

If you can use them all, take them all. My Opteron server is sitting in my kitchen doing nothing and will probably stay that way for a while.

• EdmondEdmond Member

@rajprakash said:

Edmond said: it could be used to become my basement datacenter!

Only if you like listening to a jet engine, and you like your basement temps to rise a few degrees because of the heat this thing puts out. I've got a PE2970 (AMD processors, but otherwise the same as a 2950) and that thing was hot, power hungry, and noisy as hell (even with the fan power supply resistor mod).

I'll place it in the garage instead than. I'll go get a powerline adapter and connect it to the server so it'll have ethernet. That way the sound wouldn't be a issue.... if I could get my hands on it that is.

• Too bad I live in the other side of the world. Could use it for fun projects and experiments.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

3.5 or 2.5" drives?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

Picked up the server from Data Center today.

Thanks so much, @KuJoe.

• williewillie Member

Closing at KuJoe's request.

This discussion has been closed.