Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why does domain age matter?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

why does domain age matter?

williewillie Member
edited May 2018 in General

Does the age of a domain really matter for search rank or any other purpose? I have some rather old ones (late 1990s in some cases) that I don't use but have been renewing out of inertia. No idea at all if there's any reason to keep doing this on the off-chance of using the domain for something.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

No.

But there will be a flock of people here who'll tell you it's a key part of the Dark Arts of SEO Optimization, along with whois information secrets and Class C IPs.

The best SEO technique is unique, highly desirable content. No one cares if emmawatsonbukkake.com is only a month old.

• AidanAidan Member

A few email spam filters care about "new" domains, but those are only a few & they don't have much authority - other than that it doesn't matter.

Thanked by 1willie
  • LeeLee Veteran

Domain age is a key part of the Dark Arts of SEO Optimization. For $500 I can show you what I mean.

Thanked by 4BlaZe raindog308 FHR vish
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Domain age is a key part of the Dark Arts of SEO Optimization.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • ChuckChuck Member

Domain age is a key part of the Dark Arts of SEO Optimization.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

@raindog308 said:
    No.

But there will be a flock of people here who'll tell you it's a key part of the Dark Arts of SEO Optimization, along with whois information secrets and Class C IPs.

The best SEO technique is unique, highly desirable content. No one cares if emmawatsonbukkake.com is only a month old.

You spelled buttercake wrong.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2018

Clowns being clowns aside,

Search engines are basically aspiring to make the same decisions their users would make when posed with the same question. The problem folks here make is that they assume the search engine has already made all the right choices, or the right ones for them, and get all smart arsed about 'SEO'.

Prospective users tend to prefer established 'known' services, hence why people search for '[brand name] review'

Search engines tend to favour websites that have positive click through behaviours.

Join the dots obi wan... if you consciously have an aged domain and promote with it, you're sullied by SEO, you are one of them

• Aged domain without some serious backlinks is worth $0

• If the content is new, it won't do much in itself.

A newly registered "deleted domain" (new registration BUT on an active-in-the-pars domain, with good quality backlinks) will perform better.

• @raindog308 said:
    emmawatsonbukkake.com

Oh no, my virgin eyes...

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2018

@pullangcubo said:

@raindog308 said:
    emmawatsonbukkake.com

Oh no, my virgin eyes...

Ectoplasm all over the place.

But she kinda looks underdeveloped...

And reminds me of a rodent, poor little thing... I would give her a biscuit and see what happens.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

willie said: Does the age of a domain really matter for search rank or any other purpose?

The only time it matters is if you get a ton of links. Google does 'sandbox' new sites that have a ton of links start pointing at them, I think it's a spam prevention thing, but usually sorts itself out in a few days/weeks.

Friend launched a site and hit homepage of hacker news, then TechCrunch and some other folks linked off in their stories, and the whole site disappeared from Google for like 10-ish days. You'd search the name and only the HN & TechCrunch posts came up.

Pretty rare occurrence, so unless it's one of those cases.. no, domain age probably isn't going to matter much.

And if the domains you have from the 90s have no sites on them currently (not indexed) then they might as well be new domains to Google.

• williewillie Member

Thanks everyone. Yeah I'm not planning to promote anything on the domains. I may toss one or two of them in the domains forum in case anyone wants them.