Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage Pricing Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage Pricing Question

hexukhexuk Member
edited May 2018 in General

Out of curiosity, if I sold cPanel FTP storage at £20/tb for London, UK based storage would this be deemed as expensive? Would anyone be prepared to spend this?

[title edited by mod]

Comments

• Seems pricey considering someone can get S3 storage in London for $24/TB USD or £17/TB. This gets your consistency, data redundancy, backed by Amazon.

So you'd have to definitely come down in price and have some major selling points that would prompt people to choose a single point FTP location over something like AWS S3.

• hexukhexuk Member

@daxterfellowes said:
    Seems pricey considering someone can get S3 storage in London for $24/TB USD or £17/TB. This gets your consistency, data redundancy, backed by Amazon.

So you'd have to definitely come down in price and have some major selling points that would prompt people to choose a single point FTP location over something like AWS S3.

What price would be good? £15/mo? Amazon is like an enigma, so this would be a simple monthly fee, cancel whenever, 24/7 support.

• hexukhexuk Member

Also unlimited bandwidth...

• You can get VPS with 1TB storage for around 6£/m annual payment with a 100Mbps port.
    Compared to this, 20£ seems to expensive.

• hexukhexuk Member

@softxnews said:
    You can get VPS with 1TB storage for around 6£/m annual payment with a 100Mbps port.
    Compared to this, 20£ seems to expensive.

Gbit port, cPanel access, London based, unlimited bandwidth

• hexuk said: Gbit port, cPanel access, London based, unlimited bandwidth

You know that you can't cover a unlimited port cost, even at £20 ?

Thanked by 2softxnews Wolveix
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

daxterfellowes said: Seems pricey considering someone can get S3 storage in London for $24/TB USD or £17/TB. This gets your consistency, data redundancy, backed by Amazon.

• S3 without CloudFront can be really slow
    • If you actually want to use the storage, you'll pay several orders of magnitude more than you estimated in bandwidth prices.
    At $0.09 per GB, if you wanted to download 100GB daily (that's ~9.5Mbps continuously), be prepared to pay additional ~$270 monthly.

hexuk said: cPanel FTP storage at £20/tb for London, UK based storage would this be deemed as expensive?

That's actually a pretty good deal.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

daxterfellowes said: Seems pricey considering someone can get S3 storage in London for $24/TB USD or £17/TB. This gets your consistency, data redundancy, backed by Amazon.

(cough) bandwidth (cough)

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Yes, bandwidth egress is going to rake you over the coals. Probably not the best example, but intended to show that if you want to compete at $27/TB, you're going to need to offer more than just simple, expected features.

Although if you never have to restore, bandwidth at AWS is free (inbound to them).

But if you need a restore, tke out a second mortgage first...

• williewillie Member

hexuk said: £20/tb

For pure storage that is way expensive. Cheap storage on LET is imho US$10/TB and below, and very cheap storage is $5/TB and below. OVH S3-like object store is 0.01 euro/GB/month storage plus 0.01/GB outbound transfer, free inbound, with triple redundancy and an enormous network. That is really a CDN-like product rather than a storage product.

"Unlimited" bw to an ftp server doesn't mean much since there's no ftp client base. You're basically offering yet another backup storage service. The pricing mentioned is at least 3x too high for that.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:
    Although if you never have to restore, bandwidth at AWS is free (inbound to them).

Definitely good for low volume stuff, but yeah if you're moving TBs there are much cheaper options.

Just recently started using these guys though for high volume stuff and quite impressed so far after @jarland shared the link: https://wasabi.com/pricing/

$5/TB S3-compatible storage with free egress, just the monthly storage fee no bandwidth/request charges.

• williewillie Member

I changed thread title from "General question" to "storage pricing question" so people looking at the index page would know what the thread is about. I hope OP doesn't mind.

• @Harambe said:

@raindog308 said:

Definitely good for low volume stuff, but yeah if you're moving TBs there are much cheaper options.

Just recently started using these guys though for high volume stuff and quite impressed so far after @jarland shared the link: https://wasabi.com/pricing/

$5/TB S3-compatible storage with free egress, just the monthly storage fee no bandwidth/request charges.

I sent an email to Wasabi support - haven't heard back yet.

How do you rate them? Can you have around 10% or less maybe, of your data frequently accessed?

$5/TB all inclusive seems great.

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited May 2018

Some threads:

Your price is too high, you can get something cheaper at [big provider with terrible support].

Some other threads:

OMG [small provider] deadpooled, I guess that's what happens if you race to the bottom and try to price match big providers. They should have focused on support and distinctive features!

Get it together guys. Or, as a wise man once said:

#DICKS

@realbusiness said:

I sent an email to Wasabi support - haven't heard back yet.

How do you rate them? Can you have around 10% or less maybe, of your data frequently accessed?

$5/TB all inclusive seems great.

I haven't had to use support, so not sure about that.

So far I like them, no issues so far.

I don't think they have any restrictions on file access or how much bandwidth can be used, it says unlimited and I don't see any provisions in their ToS regarding limitations there (except for an FAQ item about them maybe limiting bandwidth if you're on the free trial)

...but I'm sure someone will upload a file and try to pull a petabyte in a month or something stupid and then they'll add some provisions to prevent abuse.

At the moment I don't see any reason why you couldn't host a super popular (legal) file on there and have tons of people download it. If it's a legitimate use case I don't see them having any problems.

• @hexuk said:
    Out of curiosity, if I sold cPanel FTP storage at £20/tb for London, UK based storage would this be deemed as expensive?

On LET, hell yes! In general, yes it is more on the above average side.
    But as others already pointed out: AWS is also only medium-cheap. If you don't generate any traffic, that is. If you do, the invoices become very "business'ish".

@hexuk said:
    Would anyone be prepared to spend this?

For personal use, no. For business use, definately yes, IF you are a proper hoster with multiple competent admins, SLAs, good support, proper invoicing etc.

But I'm posting this mainly to give you a thumbs up for wanting to offer simple FTP storage for reasonable prices (I said reasonable, not cheap!). Because this super simple service is strangely hard to find! See my little rant here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2683009/#Comment_2682943
    As crazy as it sounds, but if you do it, and market it properly, you'd almost have a global monopoly on it. Everyone else, please prove me wrong! Post all the (S)FTP(S) storage offers you know of.

• hexukhexuk Member

So the summary is that £20/mo per TB for unlimited bandwidth, Gbit port, cPanel access is too expensive?

@hexuk said:
    So the summary is that £20/mo per TB for unlimited bandwidth, Gbit port, cPanel access is too expensive?

Depends on the market really. I wouldn't pay ~$27/TB for FTP storage on a cPanel box. Are you aiming this at folks for backup purposed or like serving files via http(s)?

For backup it's too pricey, for file serving I could see someone being interested especially if you had a really great network within the UK. If it's just average then there are other options that come with a whole dedicated server, a good amount of bandwidth and more storage.

• 20GBP/TB for oversold disk?

Probably not LET

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2018

@hexuk said:

You need to tell us more about the limits on the "unlimited bandwidth Gbit port".

How many people will be sharing the bandwidth?

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2018

666 people will be sharing the port.

Every single one of them will be itching to abuse it.

@deank said:
    666 people will be sharing the port.

Every single one of them will be itching to abuse it.

I saw that same video on xhamster. So hot!

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

realbusiness said:

[Wasabi] How do you rate them? Can you have around 10% or less maybe, of your data frequently accessed?

They confirm that there is indeed no such thing as "unlimited" (pricing faq): "Wasabi’s hot cloud storage service is designed for use cases where you store your data in our public cloud storage service and you access this data at a reasonable rate. If your use case creates an unreasonable burden on our infrastructure, we reserve the right to limit your egress traffic and/or ask you to switch to our Legacy pricing plan. "