Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What exactly is a 10mbps unmetered bandwidth?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What exactly is a 10mbps unmetered bandwidth?

libro22libro22 Member
edited February 2012 in Help

Is it the maximum speed for up/download?

Does it matter when hosting generic type of websites (blog, shopping carts, cms)? Is a 1Gbit port too much for this type of usage?

Comments

• I think that Up is 10mbps and Down is 10mbps.
    In other words, the bandwidth limit is 3.3TB per month.
    I think 1Gps is not important If you can occupy the 10Mbps.

• bretonbreton Member
    edited February 2012

It means that users will not be able to download and upload faster, than 1.2 megabytes/s. I don't think you should do it for your shop or blog - any big file will take a lot of time to appear if some visitors come at the same time.
    Anyway, try to understand, how much traffic does one load of your page take. If it is more or equal than 700-1000 kilobytes, don't go with 10mbps.
    Unmetered means, that you can use as much traffic as you want.

1 Gb is a good speed if you have a lot of visitors from that region. It also makes any kind of upgrades very fast (if you find a local mirror).

Thanked by 3Aldryic tux libro22
  • I see, that makes it clearer. Thanks :)

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited February 2012

It makes me laugh when a VPS host offers either 10Mbps unlimited or 5TB on 100Mbit option.

Thanked by 3Mon5t3r Amfy tux
  • @softlight said: the bandwidth limit is 3.3TB per month.

Kinda true, But that is shared between everyone on that server. not just you

• I would prefer 1 TB@1Gbps over 10mbps unmetered for most uses. I have 30mbps download at home.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • I have a VPS with that I signed up for that had a 5 (or was it 10) mbit/sec listed. I needed to grab a big file and I used wget to load it. I noticed that it was going a lot faster than the advertised speed.

Now I was loading several gigs, so I stopped and restarted wget with my specified speed. Makes me wonder if it's on the honor system. Perhaps speed limits only get applied if you abuse it?

• They may only limit the upload.

• @cleonard If they're using SolusVM its bandwidth limiting was broken for a while...

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @breton

It means that users will not be able to download and upload faster, than 1.2 megabytes/s. I don't think you should do it for your shop or blog - any big file will take a lot of time to appear if some visitors come at the same time.

Anyway, try to understand, how much traffic does one load of your page take. If it is more or equal than 700-1000 kilobytes, don't go with 10mbps.
    Unmetered means, that you can use as much traffic as you want.

1 Gb is a good speed if you have a lot of visitors from that region. It also makes any kind of upgrades very fast (if you find a local mirror).

by the way, does this applies in Dedicated servers as well?

• bretonbreton Member
    edited February 2012

@libro22 said:

by the way, does this applies in Dedicated servers as well?

Well, yes, but there is less sense to have 10 mbps with dedi - you usually get more bandwidth on dedi and more visitors (if you really need a dedi and not a vps)