Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does BuyVM ever have availability in Luxembourg? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does BuyVM ever have availability in Luxembourg?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Neoon said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Neoon said:
    Hint: OVZ is in stock, 19$ for 6 months, Anycast with 3 POPS.

I wanted to go KVM but yea, never in stock.

When I went on the site it said they don't do OVZ anymore when you click on the plans.

Bullshit.

https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?a=add&pid=67

https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?a=add&pid=101

https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?a=add&pid=1352

What's with the harsh language? I am just the messenger here. It must have changed. I see it showing up now but a week or two ago it said they don't do OVZ anymore

I just denied your statement, no insults nothing.

• edited May 2018

x

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Neoon said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Neoon said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Neoon said:

When I went on the site it said they don't do OVZ anymore when you click on the plans.

Bullshit.

What's with the harsh language? I am just the messenger here. It must have changed. I see it showing up now but a week or two ago it said they don't do OVZ anymore

"Bullshit" could easily be interpreted as insulting.

It would have been more constructive to say that only the 128MB OVZ plans are offered anymore.

• edited May 2018

@angstrom said:

@Neoon said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Neoon said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Neoon said:

Bullshit.

It would have been more constructive to say that only the 128MB OVZ plans are offered anymore.

Maybe that was it. I never clicked on the 128 since that is nowhere near enough for anything I do.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@angstrom said:

I am only responsible, for what I am saying, not how people interpret my words.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Lets take it down a notch a bit.

Anyway, true, 128MB's are in stock, but that's it. We don't offer any other OVZ plans.

Francisco

Thanked by 1willie
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@Neoon said: I am only responsible, for what I am saying,

Exactly: that is precisely what I called you on.

• @Francisco said:
    Lets take it down a notch a bit.

Anyway, true, 128MB's are in stock, but that's it. We don't offer any other OVZ plans.

Francisco

As a running joke with Fran, the more people migrate away from OpenVZ, the less things he needs to fix and he'll deliver even better service without OpenVZ being in the picture.

• sinsin Member

When do their slices (like in NY) usually come instock? I might have to try them out sometime.

• FoulFoul Member

sin said: When do their slices (like in NY) usually come instock?

As stated previously... restocks usually happen on the 1st, and 10th of each month..due to cancellations/etc

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member
    edited May 2018

@Foul said:

sin said: When do their slices (like in NY) usually come instock?

As stated previously... restocks usually happen on the 1st, and 10th of each month..due to cancellations/etc

Thanks, wasn't thinking and thought that was just for the Luxembourg location :-).

• @vovler said:
    Can you recommend a good Geo-DNS? I've been looking for one for some time

The cheapest I know so far is ClouDNS: https://asia.cloudns.net/geodns/

@FHR said:
    Are you sure you need anycast? In almost all cases geo-DNS will work as well, or even better.

Why do you think so? For example, for a reverse proxy caching system in three different locations, I can either: set the servers in anycast (e.g. the 3 BuyVM locations in anycast) or use Geo-DNS to point to different servers in different locations from different providers (which I think is preferable, "HA" wise, but a little more expensive). But which of these 2 setup will be more effective?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@pullangcubo said:

@FHR said:
    Are you sure you need anycast? In almost all cases geo-DNS will work as well, or even better.

Why do you think so? For example, for a reverse proxy caching system in three different locations, I can either: set the servers in anycast (e.g. the 3 BuyVM locations in anycast) or use Geo-DNS to point to different servers in different locations from different providers (which I think is preferable, "HA" wise, but a little more expensive). But which of these 2 setup will be more effective?

GeoDNS or Latency based DNS is going to be more reliable than anycast. Reliable in a sense that it will route visitors to the correct destination more consistently.

With anycast, things tend to be... complicated. Unless properly tuned, the routing can be really weird, like traffic from 80% of providers goes correctly and the other 20% goes to the wrong node.

Can't comment on the state of BuyVM's anycast though, never used it.

Thanked by 2pullangcubo aglodek
  • @FHR said:

GeoDNS or Latency based DNS is going to be more reliable than anycast. Reliable in a sense that it will route visitors to the correct destination more consistently.

So in a sense, it's a matter of having a correctly/properly set up anycast if you want the LET approach... As I mentioned, I personally prefer the GeoDNS route, but it gets real expensive as you add more zones!

Thanks for the insight!

• TionTion Member

Assuming you have 3 edge locations in total respectively one in North America, Europe and Asia you pay about $2 per month at Amazon. Can't get any cheaper than this and you are free to chose your individual VPS providers. It starts to get "expensive" once you want DNS failover but if your project is important enough to warrant a personal CDN those are peanuts.

• kerouackerouac Member

@Francisco said:

MikeA said: @Francisco Maybe consider NL for future EU location? I'm sure people would like that, and not too far from LUX.

I would likely go to somewhere like Switzerland. I'm a fan of privacy focused hosting for over there. We'll be making changes to our TOS very soon to be a lot more TOR friendly even.

Do you use a Canadian company or a Wyoming one? I'd suggest not mixing US based operations with this.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@kerouac said:

@Francisco said:

MikeA said: @Francisco Maybe consider NL for future EU location? I'm sure people would like that, and not too far from LUX.

I would likely go to somewhere like Switzerland. I'm a fan of privacy focused hosting for over there. We'll be making changes to our TOS very soon to be a lot more TOR friendly even.

Do you use a Canadian company or a Wyoming one? I'd suggest not mixing US based operations with this.

Pretty sure it's only Canadian, think Fran mentioned the Wyoming whois info is old.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@jiggawattz said:
    @Francisco , hire @MikePT to get on a train to LU and setup more racks.

Wouldnt be too hard!

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited May 2018

@Harambe

Name
    FRANCISCO DIAS

Organization
    FRANTECH

Address
    3635 CRAIGMILLAR AVE

City
    VICTORIA

State / Province
    CA

It's located in beautiful British Columbia, it seems. This is the WHOIS data from BuyShared.

For some reason, Frantech is clasified as an "individual entity" rather than a company, so the main Frantech WHOIS is unavailable.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

For what it's worth..
    https://buyvmstock.com

They have some mail notifier, to let you be aware as soon as one of your preference is available. I recall some dude here on LET built it, but I can't recall who that was off the top of the head ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• emghemgh Member

@RickBakkr said:
    For what it's worth..

They have some mail notifier, to let you be aware as soon as one of your preference is available. I recall some dude here on LET built it, but I can't recall who that was off the top of the head ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It was @agia.

• @Francisco said:

Stock comes up on the 1st and the 10th. It's rare that LU stock lasts past those days, so if you're wanting something either touch base with me and I'll try to ear mark you something, or keep an eye out :)

Francisco

When you say stock comes up on the 1st and the 10th, what timezone are we in? :-)

@kaktus69 said:

@Francisco said:

Stock comes up on the 1st and the 10th. It's rare that LU stock lasts past those days, so if you're wanting something either touch base with me and I'll try to ear mark you something, or keep an eye out :)

Francisco

When you say stock comes up on the 1st and the 10th, what timezone are we in? :-)

Hello,

PST, so GMT -7 :P

Francisco

Thanked by 1kaktus69
  • @Francisco said:

@kaktus69 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Hello,

PST, so GMT -7 :P

Francisco

Thanks for the reply, will stop hitting F5 until the (BST) morning then =)

• agiaagia Member

@emgh said:

@RickBakkr said:
    For what it's worth..

It was @agia.

Thanks for quoting :) during the past couple of months I have seen more and more people getting their VMs thanks to that buyvmstock.com (Buyvm gets out of stock really fast) ... It was nice to see the response of the community :) I should start adding the new features that I planned as soon as I have a little more time!

@kaktus69 said:
    Thanks for the reply, will stop hitting F5 until the (BST) morning then =)

Feel free to subscribe (it is for free) whenever you get tired :)

Thanked by 2emgh kaktus69
  • Phew, got one! :-)

• edited May 2018

Does BuyVM also have floating IPs? Like what Digital Ocean has where it fails over to another server within the same datacenter? It was pointed out to me by the resident BuyVM guy that Anycast is not good enough because it only fails over if the datacenter (so at the core router?) has connectivity issues. Not if the server stops responding. So I would also need floating IP. I would also need some way of having it automatically fail over.

This is a high availability application that can never go down (except maybe for a couple minutes once in a blue moon during a failover) so I have to do everything I can to avoid that. I cannot do any of the HA stuff with DNS. It has to be done at network layer 3 with IPs.

I may do it with Amazon AWS Elastic IP with two availability zones but then I have to start messing around with NAT which I would like to avoid for various reasons. I would also need to use at least 2 regions which will still require at least 2 IP's. So still not quite as good as an Anycast solution.

Yep you can float ips without any sort of API.

People do node HA with keepalived and such.

Francisco

• BBTNBBTN Member
    edited May 2018

@Francisco
    The looking glass script in Luxembourg currently isn't able to execute any network test.