Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH "DO" dedicated server launch (Bestest Value) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH "DO" dedicated server launch (Bestest Value)

Comments

• GulfGulf Member
    edited May 2018

I am thinking to change this one https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/px61-nvme to OVH UK NVMe.

Hetzner uses top Samsung nvme, but I do not think mysql will drop in permormance if I change Samsung nvme to Intel.

Hetzner's network is overcrowded and has higher pings.

• In UK , they dont have NVME , plain Intel SSDS what i got.

@Gulf said:
    I am thinking to change this one https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/px61-nvme to OVH UK NVMe.

Hetzner uses top Samsung nvme, but I do not think mysql will drop in permormance if I change Samsung nvme to Intel.

Hetzner's network is overcrowded and has higher pings.

• GulfGulf Member

@hammad said:
    In UK , they dont have NVME , plain Intel SSDS what i got.

Thank you. What is the serial number of SSD?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@fxf said:

@MikePT said:
    So the ones in DE come with 16 IPs free of cost I assume?

I don't think so. The spec sheet says these can have up to 16 IPs, with a one-time fee of $3 per IP.

I am aware, but the setup fee for ips has always existed. Question is if these allow 16 IPs free of cost for the next months or more.

Discovery servers allow 16 but not sure if in DE is still discovery? Dunno

• karanchookaranchoo Member
    edited May 2018

https://prnt.sc/jjymzq

INTEL_SSDSC2KB480G7

@Gulf said:

@hammad said:
    In UK , they dont have NVME , plain Intel SSDS what i got.

Thank you. What is the serial number of SSD?

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • GulfGulf Member

@hammad said:
    INTEL_SSDSC2KB480G7

Pretty slow ssd :(

• realbusinessrealbusiness Member
    edited May 2018

@MikeA said:

@realbusiness said:
    How is OVH routing in the UK?

To where? Might be useful. Edit - Keep in mind their UK location is only 6ms (I think) from their nearest France location, so regardless routing issues would only add a few ms if you're worried about the issues like APAC locations a while back.

Far from an expert - but tried to run tracert and it looks like traffic from their London server to /Aruba's London network is routing via France. :(

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

They have routing issues in their non-core locations, it’s a known fact.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited May 2018

@hammad said:
    INTEL_SSDSC2KB480G7

Could you please run these commands and paste results

cd /root

yum install -y make gcc libaio-devel || ( apt-get update && apt-get install -y make gcc libaio-dev </dev/null )

wget https://github.com/Crowd9/Benchmark/raw/master/fio-2.0.9.tar.gz ; tar xf fio*

cd fio*

make

./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randrw --rwmixread=75

./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randread

./fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=test --filename=test --bs=4k --iodepth=64 --size=4G --readwrite=randwrite

• GulfGulf Member

@Clouvider said:

Eventually ordered NVMe version from your datacenter.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@Gulf said:

@Clouvider said:

Eventually ordered NVMe version from your datacenter.

Happy to have you :-).

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • GulfGulf Member

@Clouvider said:

I am planning to move all my servers to your dc.

What is the difference between your flagship dc and volta?

• ugurzugurz Member
    edited May 2018

@Gulf said:

@Clouvider said:

@Clouvider

What is difference? could you share benchmarks for your dcs? or how can i find benchmarks for your dc

Because I can move too :)

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

@Gulf said:

@Clouvider said:

Less than 0.5ms latency to Telehouse and Equinix based network core nodes. The site connected with 2x diverse dark fibre to both core nodes and 100GE MPLS on top of it.

Most traffic will go to Telehouse and Equinix, but there's also a local connection to Zayo in case MPLS failed for some reason. In other words, unless you're extremely latency sensitive to a degree of <1ms or don't have a specific need to be at Telehouse I see no reason not to deploy at our Volta PoP :).

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited May 2018

@Clouvider said:

I see no reason not to deploy at our Volta PoP :).

Will it be any difference in connectivity (pings) to the middle east, dubai, qatar?

@Gulf said:

@Clouvider said:

I see no reason not to deploy at our Volta PoP :).

Will it be any difference in connectivity (pings) to the middle east, dubai, qatar?

There should be no more than 1ms difference between any of our PoPs, no matter the destination, as this is the same network :)

• karanchookaranchoo Member
    edited May 2018

Today i ordered 1 in UK and 1 in Germany

So now they are not charging additional 10 euro for the SSD or NVME .

Thanked by 2Gulf Cdoe
  • GulfGulf Member

@hammad said:

If possible, please run some benchmarks in above post and paste somewhere.

• CdoeCdoe Member

@hammad could you please link me 1GB test file via PM from both locations?

Or anyone - from official OVH for these two DCs. I'm looking for some personal use server, however my new ISP's EU peering sucks badly.

I've tried multiple locations so far, but struggling with download speeds for any but domestic ones.

@Cdoe who’s your ISP? I can PM you our test file as well.

• https://pastebin.com/cL8NsNWx

@Gulf said:

@hammad said:

If possible, please run some benchmarks in above post and paste somewhere.

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • GulfGulf Member

@Clouvider said:

There should be no more than 1ms difference between any of our PoPs, no matter the destination, as this is the same network :)

Thank you. Why do you sell it a bit cheaper, part of promo?

edited May 2018

@Gulf said:

@Clouvider said:

Thank you. Why do you sell it a bit cheaper, part of promo?

That's indeed correct. When we roll out a new PoP it involves rolling out metro dark fibre ring between the building and core routers in the other buildings, extending our network (lots of Juniper love), buying footprints and large quantities of servers. It would be a shame to let all this huge capacity waste so we run a special to fill it up a little to the benefit of the community :)

• GulfGulf Member

@realbusiness said:

Far from an expert - but tried to run tracert and it looks like traffic from their London server to /Aruba's London network is routing via France. :(

Are you sure that you are using the correct IP?

Just tested from OVH VPS in London

• GulfGulf Member

Looks like their network in the UK is overcrowded, a lot of random downtimes (10-20 seconds) during the day.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@Gulf said:
    Looks like their network in the UK is overcrowded, a lot of random downtimes (10-20 seconds) during the day.

Their London Core in their Erith DC is utilized less than 35% during the day - so that would be odd

Which network are you trying to reach them from?

You can also check their utilization on http://weathermap.ovh.net/#europe and http://weathermap.ovh.net/#london_erith_core

• GulfGulf Member

@Zerpy said:

Just visit the website during the day, and the network is down (via my local provider and VPN). Also, unable to connect using ssh. After 10-15 seconds it is ok. Is this ovh issue or on my side?

@Gulf said:

@Zerpy said:

Just visit the website during the day, and the network is down (via my local provider and VPN). Also, unable to connect using ssh. After 10-15 seconds it is ok. Is this ovh issue or on my side?

When you mtr during this time, do you observe any packet loss/increased latency on the hops before your server that carry over ?

Thanked by 1Zerpy
  • ZerpyZerpy Member

If they had issues, it should be observed on their eri smokeping: http://eri.smokeping.ovh.net/smokeping?target=EU

• London server is even cheaper now - $53.99 from $59.99 and free SSD upgrade.

Very tempting! Only if it wasn't for the 500Mbps