Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please recommend me a home router. Budget €120 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please recommend me a home router. Budget €120

2»

Comments

• JarryJarry Member

@nqservices said:
    My main concern is security and Ubiquiti was well recommended around here. Can you post some links where I can read about that security flaws? Also if for you Ubiquiti is out of the question, what is your advice? Thanks!

You can find much more on internet, but this could be good starting point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubiquiti_Networks#Security_issues

Personally, I have been using mikrotik for a few years, but felt somehow limited by RouterOS so I decided to try something else. The router I'm using now is based on PC-Engines apu2 board, which is basically small x86-64 compatible computer with low power consumption:

http://www.pcengines.ch/apu2.htm

With 1GHz quad-core, 2/4GB ram, 2x miniPCIe and mSATA it is very versatile and you can configure it according to your needs. With a little effort you can install basically any x86-64 compatible OS (I'm running ipfire now, but tested pure debian, opnsense and sophos-utm too). BTW it is using coreboot open-source bios/firmware, that's one more extra point...

• TomTom Member

@Jarry said:

>

Personally, I have been using mikrotik for a few years

ಠ_ಠ

• LeviLevi Member

Mikrotik all the way!

Thanked by 1FHR
  • Orange Pi Win + RJ-45 USB adapters

• kerouackerouac Member

some people like turris omnia

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Netgear R7000 :)

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r32170M kongac (06/11/17)
    Time: 21:12:44 up 138 days, 13:58, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • JarryJarry Member

@kerouac said:
    some people like turris omnia

"A little" overpriced, imho (200-300€). Moreover, software is terrible...

• edited May 2018

@Aidan said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    Anything but Dlink

At least D-link lasts a couple of days between reboots, most of my TP-link bricks needed daily reboots ;-;

I guess I just got lucky with my TPlinks that have been running continuously for years.

I had a problem with a TPLink router and native IPv6 with my ISP. Their support connected to my router from China, did a bunch of analysis, and created new firmware for me within a week.

I know they did make some super elcheap stuff in the past so I would not be surprised if some of that stuff was junk.

• i have buy secondhand tplink (mr3420 v1) about ten bucks

exroot with 1gb flashdrive (which i found from road), still going strong serving AP in my home
    with some extra QoS & monitoring.

on the other hand, i do have brand new tplink's outdoor AP CPE which just died from my failure grounded configuration. xD

i know i can fix it with replacing some caps, but too lazy to do that

• mkshmksh Member

@Golbinex said:
    Orange Pi Win + RJ-45 USB adapters

USB 3.0 at least?

• I've got a few TP-Link units over the years and they have been solid for me too. I have 2 WR841Ns, a WR941N and now an Archer C7. Never have to reboot them and can push my full 125/25 Mbps connection to the max (on the C7). On the other two I easily pushed to the 100BaseT limit.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Buy a Linksys - I dare you!

On Thursday, WikiLeaks published a detailed a set of descriptions and documentation for the CIA's router-hacking toolkit. It's the latest drip in the months-long trickle of secret CIA files it's called Vault7, and it hints at how the agency leverages vulnerabilities in common routers sold by companies including D-Link and Linksys. The techniques range from hacking network passwords to rewriting device firmware to remotely monitor the traffic that flows across a target's network.

Given the general insecurity of the average home router, it shouldn't come as a surprise that one of the world's most well-resourced spy agencies has exploited them for surveillance.

https://www.wired.com/story/wikileaks-cia-router-hack/

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2018

Would recommend to get a used Juniper SRX in case you are familiar with JunOS, with some luck you can get them on ebay for a few bucks. Works really good in my home environment. ;-)

I use them for IPSec termination, SSL VPN and traffic seperation with different vlans in different zones.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I want to thanks all people that recommended me to go with Ubiquiti. I bought a EdgeRouter X + Unifi AC Lite. My review just after a few days using? Superb! Excellent hardware and software.

Thanked by 2Tom doughnet
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

About TP-Link: most of them have wonderful OpenWRT compatibility (and OpenWRT is so much better), that it's a shame to still run them on the stock firmware.

About Mikrotik: JUST FUCKING DON'T.

• defaultdefault Veteran

You can install OpenWRT on Raspberry PI 3 too. You can also use Raspbian and set it as wireless router without OpenWRT. I configured one as temporary router with 4 available USB ports for storage, and it works great for home usage. I am seriously thinking to not change it.

• AlexanderM said: Netgear R7000 :)

I just got one of those. Am running Shibby AIO on it.

For the OP's budget though, I'd recommend the one I just replaced which is available for under $100 these days. The ASUS RT-N16. I've never tried proprietary software on a router though. So I put my usual choice of Tomato Shibby on it. That has nice real time bandwidth charts per IP and very fine grained QoS. One gets spoiled with that kind of stuff.