Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway NextGen NVMe Cloud Servers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway NextGen NVMe Cloud Servers

2»

Comments

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

Can windows be installed on these VMs?

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

@dev_vps said:

@rm_ said:
    Bigger news here is that they raised the price of the 2Core/2GB/50GB/200Mbit VPS from 2.99 to 3.99 EUR. But now adding a half-sized variant of it, at 1.99.

And for whatever reason, the 1.99 box has only Ubuntu Xenial as the OS option, nothing else, not even any version of Debian.

That would be a big resounding NO!

• @rm_ said:
    Bigger news here is that they raised the price of the 2Core/2GB/50GB/200Mbit VPS from 2.99 to 3.99 EUR. But now adding a half-sized variant of it, at 1.99.

And for whatever reason, the 1.99 box has only Ubuntu Xenial as the OS option, nothing else, not even any version of Debian.

yea that sucks, cus that was a sweep package i used alot :s

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@AuroraZ said:

@dev_vps said:

That would be a big resounding NO!

Then Hetzner / Vultr is a better option, IMHO.

Thanked by 2Aidan openos
  • williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

Cpubenchmark puts the C3955 at 5803 passmark with 14 cores:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=3217

I guess it's a win if they gave up on that network SSD stuff that was pretty slow by SSD standards. But the new CPU is disappointing. They need something with faster single cores.

• They use custom in house bios for these.

Might explain why only ubuntu supported at the moment.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Might explain why only ubuntu supported at the moment.

There's nothing fundamentally different between the 1.99 and 3.99 plans (same hardware), so no reason it couldn't support all the same distros. The only semi-legit explanation is if they need to rebuild distro images or deployment scripts to account for the total SSD space available (even though the installed OS won't take anywhere near that), and haven't got around to making 25GB versions for everything yet. But it still sucks they chose to run with Ubuntu first and not Debian.

• williewillie Member

You can make your own images and it looks like the web UI allows selecting your own images for the 1.99 servers. I didn't try it though.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

Got answers from the support team.

The 2.49€ thingy is definitely a bug, no intent to offer a 1CPU+50GB SSD.

...and :

On the Start1 XS, all the images are not available for the moment, because of the volume's size. ( It should come soon)

• jiiikoojiiikoo Member

Can you chain the LSSD's to get more storage space? Get a second 150gb one and have them as a single 300gb drive?

• dosaidosai Member

They don't support ams1 yet. Any performance difference between the old and new CPU?

• WebDudeWebDude Member

It would be so nice to get usable (not server tied) IPv6 from ScaleWay, so I could get rid of that IPv4 and related costs. Currently the IPv6 alone isn't reliable enough.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@WebDude said:
    It would be so nice to get usable (not server tied) IPv6 from ScaleWay, so I could get rid of that IPv4 and related costs. Currently the IPv6 alone isn't reliable enough.

Don't they provide a dns name for your ipv6 address that is dynamically updated when the ipv6 changes?

• WebDudeWebDude Member

Well, it's lot worse broken than that. If it would be like that it would be okayish. But currently it's much worse. First of all, it's host fixed, static address. So in case address changes, networking is totally broken until manual intervention is completed over IPv4 / Console.

I would prefer having static IPv6. Dynamic IPv6 would be acceptable, but it's obviously much worse option. I can naturally update my own DNS if and when required, but that's still lame solution.

• dosaidosai Member

@dosai said:
    They don't support ams1 yet. Any performance difference between the old and new CPU?

This is weird. I powered my vc1s (ams1) off and on, now I have 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1531 @ 2.20GHz.

Thanked by 1willie
  • WebDudeWebDude Member

I think this has been covered earlier, but sometimes the routing at least from ams1 data center is absolute disaster. Performance is around 1-2 % of what's being advertised.

I've had D-1531 from the very beginning on my vc1s (ams1).

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1531 @ 2.20GHz

• pincpinc Member

Well, I can confirm that it was quite confusing to find 2xD-1531 instead of 2xC2750 after power on. AMS1, VC1S

Serverbench however is pretty solid:

Test results for VC1S-D1531 AMS at Scaleway

Server specs:

2 × Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1531 @ 2.20GHz
        2 GB RAM / 48 GB disk space
        Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial
        France

Benchmark results summary:

UnixBench - 2008.8
        Disk Read - 899 MB/s
        Disk Write - 875 MB/s
        Bandwidth - 636.33 MB/s

More: https://serverscope.io/trials/YJZn

We'll see how long will prices last.

• WebDudeWebDude Member

Yup, D1531 is nice. I was prepared to take single core performance hit, when moving to ScaleWay. But to my surprise CPU performance is actually awesome compared to most competitors.

• AeneAene Member

Looks like they support Fedora 28 on the Start1-xs now.

• XeiXei Member
    edited September 2018

Tried to upgrade old VC1S to Start-1S, clicked Archive while running then power on. It's not provisioning on the newer hardware as claimed. Did the upgrade work for anyone? They have stock for it so that's not the issue.

• It also didnt work for me..but now i moved away too many network problems.

• I've been monitoring repeated IPv6 issues. Those are interesting, come and go. Just like it would be routing fluctuations, or something like that. IPv4 works more reliably, but is at times really slow. At one point IPv6 worked fine for a few months and then the issues popped up again.