Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

good location for hosting for australlian eyeballs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

good location for hosting for australlian eyeballs?

rds100rds100 Member

What would be a good place to host websites targeted at australian visitors?

Is it still the case that routing / peering within Australia is far from good?
Would Singapore or US West coast be better than hosting directly in Australia?

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited May 2018

With the right hosting provider your peering will be fine. Feel free to take a look at http://lg.flowvps.com

Let me know if you have any specific questions but overall hosting inside Australia is always better.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • corbpiecorbpie Member

Singapore has the better peering in most cases, But US West coast is not far behind and has the compatability for most markets

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited May 2018

@corbpie said:
    Singapore has the better peering in most cases, But US West coast is not far behind and has the compatability for most markets

If you've completely ruled out hosting in Australia then I'd say LA is the best place. A lot of Australia's international bandwidth goes via Sydney <-> US west coast anyway.

If you're targeting Australian's though Melbourne or Sydney is your best bet.

Melbourne has lower latency to Melbourne (obviously), Tasmania, South Australia and West Australia as compared to Sydney. All Brisbane traffic that's not local goes via Sydney. Latency between Melbourne and Sydney is ~12ms.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018
    Thanked by 1NodePing
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

And here I thought he was looking for offshore hosting to have a website about actual Australian eyeballs...

Thanked by 1FHR
  • Feeling stuck? Simply contact hosting providers in Singapore or US West coast and ask them to provide an IP address to test ping and compare. :)

• You have plenty of options. +1 for @trewq his Melbourne gear is awesome. Binary lane for Brisbane. If you want shared hosting go with @Cam / gullos hosting - the server he uses is very stable and has excellent speeds all over Australia from his Sydney location.

Thanked by 2Cam trewq
  • CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@dahartigan said:
    You have plenty of options. +1 for @trewq his Melbourne gear is awesome. Binary lane for Brisbane. If you want shared hosting go with @Cam / gullos hosting - the server he uses is very stable and has excellent speeds all over Australia from his Sydney location.

Thanks for the tag!

LEB-WEB-1GB
    3 Websites
    1 GB Full SSD Storage
    50GB Bandwidth
    3 Email Addresses
    3 FTP Users
    ​$6/year - Order Now in Australia

LEB-WEB-3GB
    5 Websites
    3 GB Full SSD Storage
    100GB Bandwidth
    5 Email Addresses
    5 FTP Users
    ​$12/year - Order Now in Australia

View Standard Pricing ​Here

Test IP WEB (AUS): 139.99.130.132

• @Cam said:
    Thanks for the tag!

No worries :) I actually use that server for hosting my web design clients and they're as happy as I am with the performance and uptime

Thanked by 1Cam
  • OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Sydney or Melbourne are the best bets in AU for sure. I wouldn't really say Singapore is good for AU target. Over the last years the 1 cable between Singapore and Perth has been offline for weeks every year.

Most of AU population on Eastern seaboard and most international links connect to Sydney.

Thanked by 2trewq rds100