Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

office server to data center server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

office server to data center server

HashTagHashTag Member

I have a server at my office that I use comcast internet for during this past month my uptime is in the 70%. I am trying to find a good solution to keep my server in house as our main server and mirror it over to a data center so that server can take over if my in office server goes down. Our initial setup is windows 2016 with SQL 2012 enterprise which I would have to get another license for, for the other server. I am currently using developer version. ASP.net, IIS and Xcore is my software will be running on it.

I need some help as to what solution I should use to get my server running like this maybe an initial setup of what to use / do, I would need it to as well backup daily and hold the backups for 3 days then remove them after that.

I am planning to use a 5TB server of some sort since my office server has 4TB and is only using 2TB right now. Can someone help me out with a good solution or tell me how they would do this setup if they were me to maximize uptime and the ability to use my server in the office 100% of the time.

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Why is it down? Is it the whole internet going off 30% of the time? It’s not fibre is it?

• HashTagHashTag Member
    edited May 2018

@emgh said:
    Why is it down? Is it the whole internet going off 30% of the time? It’s not fibre is it?

It is the basic business internet from comcast with a /29 IP subnet I don't know why it goes down, when I ask they give me the run around. I want to keep my data in my office though but I want to back it up offsite as well as mirror it somehow so when it goes down at the office I can still use it at the other place via RDP or something I just need my data 24/7.

• HashTagHashTag Member

I've exhausted all of the support emails all that stuff so now I am just looking for this solution to live with it. Some months its 99% some months its 85% I've had a month in the 60% but they are the only provider we have so I need a solution to live with it.

• @HashTag said:

I've exhausted all of the support emails all that stuff so now I am just looking for this solution to live with it. Some months its 99% some months its 85% I've had a month in the 60% but they are the only provider we have so I need a solution to live with it.

AFAIK, you can probably:

• Boot into a Linux rescue disk on your local server
    • Tar the entire filesystem on your local server
    • Send the archive over to your new server
    • Boot into a Linux rescue disk on your new server
    • Extract the tarball to the root FS of the new server
  • AntKalaAntKala Member

You can use a windows eval license for 180 days.

Thanked by 1HashTag
  • nepsneps Member

70% is extremely horrible uptime. This is a Comcast business connection? Honestly, that sounds like a major problem, one that you should give first priority to. If you're sure there isn't a problem on your end, I would grill or even sue your provider, and hold them to their SLA.

I don't know how effective offsite backups would be if your onsite server can't even upload backups 30% of the time.

• mkshmksh Member

Why do you want to keep the server in the office when it is down all the time anyways? 70% is beyond just bad. If you want to make sure your data is safe getting a server in a DC and mirroring that to another DC or some dedicated backup solution seems like a way better idea. Might as well use the office server to pull backups too. Emphasis on too since like @neps i wouldn't trust a backup solution that's down %30 of the time.

• HashTagHashTag Member

@mksh said:
    Why do you want to keep the server in the office when it is down all the time anyways? 70% is beyond just bad. If you want to make sure your data is safe getting a server in a DC and mirroring that to another DC or some dedicated backup solution seems like a way better idea. Might as well use the office server to pull backups too. Emphasis on too since like @neps i wouldn't trust a backup solution that's down %30 of the time.

That's just the thing, if I made the data center my main server then how can I access it from my office 24/7 and back it up.

• mkshmksh Member

@HashTag said:

@mksh said:

That's just the thing, if I made the data center my main server then how can I access it from my office 24/7 and back it up.

Well, unless you somehow fix the connection i guess you can't.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

If my business line had 70% uptime, I'd switch.

• nepsneps Member

mksh said: Well, unless you somehow fix the connection i guess you can't.

This. With a connection that bad, any other solution feels like a bad band-aid fix. If you're talking servers, there is just no workaround for such a massive gaping hole.

deank said: If my business line had 70% uptime, I'd switch.

HashTag said: they are the only provider we have

Do you mean they are the only provider you have a line with? Or they are the only provider that services your area?

• HashTag said: my uptime is in the 70%

I just got back on my chair. That's really unusual. Frankly, I think something else is going on with that. ;)

Thanked by 2FHR mksh
  • HashTagHashTag Member

Sometimes they use the excuse "bring your router in and exchange it for another one" other times they say well you'll need to reboot your router for 10 seconds and let it boot up" the main one is we need to update your routers firmware, of course all of this leads to downtime.

• hostfavhostfav Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

@HashTag You can setup a new fresh server with Windows 2016 and SQL 2012 in any datacetner.

Database Backup and Replication:

If you have AD setup in your network you will be able configure SQL Always on feature which will replicate SQL Databases real-time. You may need to work on your router, vpn or enable Routing and Remote Access and configure VPN for secure communication.

You can configure Datacenter's server as your secondary replica and you can perform log and database backup on secondary replica. But all index rebuilds, you need to run on primary replica.

IIS Backup and replication

You can use Syncovery or similar real-time replication software, robocopy etc. to replicate wwwroot folder and your application config folders.

Thanked by 1HashTag
  • wavecomaswavecomas Member, Host Rep

Or you can use vmware converter to migrate whole server to dedi or colo server where is vmware layer allready installed.. Vmware gives lots of useful stuff like snapshots (soft upgrade never goes bad) , backups and you can have more servers then one..

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@wavecomas said:
    Or you can use vmware converter to migrate whole server to dedi or colo server where is vmware layer allready installed.. Vmware gives lots of useful stuff like snapshots (soft upgrade never goes bad) , backups and you can have more servers then one..

... But how will office access it during the 30% of the time the connection to the Internet is down ?

edited May 2018

i dont think new router with 4g backup cost too much in these days... Espesially cheap in ebay are cisco 800 series verizon / at&t models. such boxes almost never have crashes.. but configuring them can be difficult.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Might be a better solution if you fix the root cause of the problem, instead of trying to work around it.

edited May 2018

I guess comcast is cable operator, as much i know us operators. Cox cables have really big disadvantage. Long cable looses signal and there can be damages. Or noisy neighbours.
    Its old technology and when signal/noise ratio getting bad - network is not performing anymore. Just like wifi.. And then is heavy packet loss. When link is down , it usually mean heavy cable damage.
    But imho if you are company rendering services from your server its allways point to hold server in dc, not office. You can allways have redundant internet in your office..